Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2016, 05:33 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Astro Tracking K-1

I combined two shots for this one, using Astro Tracking for the sky(obviously!) and a standard long exposure for the foreground to avoid motion blur. I am quite impressed with the Astro Tracking function compared with a shorter exposure with the lens wide open. I used a Samyang 24mm f1.4 at f4.0 for 160 seconds, ISO800

Attached Images

09-02-2016, 06:26 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nicely done, and not too much effort needed for it. Both items are important I like that it wasn't very complicated, though each of us decides how much effort is needed for their imaging goals.
09-06-2016, 08:31 PM   #3

beautiful shot.
perhaps you can help me out...i'm trying to use the astro tracker, but it seems to not work for me.
i had the astro on 'on' and put my camera on bulb mode for 60 seconds. i noticed significant streaking on it, so obviously the tracker isn't working....

any ideas/tips:
09-06-2016, 09:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You must also physically turn on the GPS via the button on the right side of the viewfinder hump. Did you do this?

09-06-2016, 09:27 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
You must also physically turn on the GPS via the button on the right side of the viewfinder hump. Did you do this?
i never thought of trying that. sweet, thank you. ill try that next
09-08-2016, 02:02 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
i never thought of trying that. sweet, thank you. ill try that next
How did you go with that? Did turning the GPS on work for you?
09-08-2016, 03:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

That is severe user interface fail that AT can be turned on without GPS being on. Cannot understand how that went thru any testing. Maybe, just maybe, they could fix it by activating GPS (if not activated already) when turning on AT. I would even go as far as preventing exposure starting without GPS signal. Calibration is another factor as well.
09-08-2016, 04:16 AM   #8
Pentaxian

A little fact to disturb the recently begun whining:
Go to Bulb mode and push the GPS button. You'll see Astrotracker options only appear when GPS is on.

@hadi:
The usual culprit is unsuccessful calibration. Try doing the fine calibration again and don't try doing it near metal or electromagnetic fields as all those let the camera sensors think it is pointing somewhere else.
I suggest after calibration you first do a short high ISO shot to just check if its working correctly so you dont have to wait unnecessarily. Even on 55mm the streaks start appearing on any exposure longer than 3 seconds if it's not working.

09-16-2016, 02:41 PM - 1 Like   #9
Forum Member

One other consideration,

When you open astrotracer, the 2nd option is to do a GPS calibration (this is from the main camera menu), not the info screen. You need to run the GPS from this screen, (it's the 2nd option), this seems to sync the calibration back to astrotracer.

If you don't and just turn on astrotracer, so that the app is on and showing "on" in your info display and then run a GPS calibration, you may not get a perfect sync between the 2 features. Thus you will still trail a bit even on center for the M way.

If you are seeing a bit of movement with the M Way centered in your shot, then I would recommend, turning off Astrotracer,, go back to the main camera menu, and turn it back on, them immediately select the calibration option. This has made a big difference for me, as when the app and GPS are in sync the results are truly impressive.

Also, remember if you are using anything wider than a 50mm, and don't have the M Way center, it's going to trail and blur anyway, just due to the retrofocus design of the Pentax wides, (true with all brands), the wider the lens the greater the issue will become. I use the 15-30 mostly @ 15mm, and the M way must be centered with this lens to get the best possible results.

These two crops are from a single 2 minute shot @ 1600 ISO, F 4.0. Still need to work in the corrected bottom.

Paul C
Attached Images