Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2017, 11:57 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote
Picking up an old thread...

I have a brand new Zeiss Milvus 18mm f2.8 converted from Nikon to Pentax, as per this thread
Is there a high quality compact prime around 17-18mm for K1? - Page 7 - PentaxForums.com

I must be missing something obvious because the camera does exactly nothing. I have it set to M and manual focus, but all I see is a flashing "F--" indication on the LCD and half-pressing the shutter does nothing too. No focus confirmation and the shutter does not work.
You need to go to Settings menu - Custom - page 4, option 26 - Using aperture ring - switch to Enable. Now camera will release the shutter. Focus confirmation should work also, I'm using few m42 lenses that way with K-1.

Curious - does Milvus achieve infinity focus with the conversion? And how much does conversion cost if it does? Would it work for any manual prime with a nikon mount?

11-14-2017, 01:06 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Thanks. I found the aperture ring setting and that stops the F-- flashing.

However I cannot find anything in the K1 menus which configures what these articles call the Green Button. I found the green button function (in M mode) here
Pentax K-1 Review | PhotographyBLOG

Interesting there appears to be no "light meter" feature but with the green button you don't really need one.

Yes - infinity focus works fine. I am shooting some pics now.

Original (screenshot from Lightroom)

1:1 (not perfect focus as it was handheld)

After lens correction - there is no LR profile for the 18mm Milvus so I looked around the others and the Distagon ZF2 looks OK

BTW, LR lens profiles can be transferred easily between LR installations. You can even go from LR6 to LR3. I have an old LR3 running on a winXP machine. So if anyone has the profile, please let me have it

This is with the vignetting slider moved to 160%

The lens correction also does a bit of barrel or pincushion so it would be better to get it right... this lens has a very low level of distortion by itself so maybe just doing vignetting manually would be enough. Of course, on a landscape shot you can't see geometric distortion anyway

The thread which led me here was this
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/336643-the...18mm-k1-7.html

The conversion was about 100 euros plus shipping from Spain back to the UK. The lens was rather more...

This image is without any lens correction but with vignetting applied to the max level of 100%

Last edited by peterh337; 11-14-2017 at 01:47 AM.
11-14-2017, 12:16 PM   #33
Veteran Member

A slightly better example...

Original image

After correction in LR6 with the actual lens profile

I reckon the vignetting is not fully corrected above.

1:1 centre

1:1 edge

Very little visible chromatic aberration, and the foliage in the last pic is a lot nearer the camera so out of focus.

Last edited by peterh337; 11-14-2017 at 12:24 PM.