Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-03-2016, 06:37 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Imaging Resource: image quality comparisons with 5D Mark IV includes K-1

Imaging Resource: "Canon 5D Mark IV Image Quality Comparison: Taking aim at the 5D Mark III, D810, K-1 and A7R II"

09-03-2016, 06:53 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for posting this. It's a real shame that they compare JPEG output from the cameras instead of RAW, as the results are a combination of sensor performance and in-camera JPEG processing engines. The majority of people using this level of camera will be shooting RAW, then processing in Lightroom or something similar. Pentax's JPEG processing continues to be just "OK" in my opinion, so this doesn't properly represent the camera's capabilities...
09-03-2016, 07:08 AM - 1 Like   #3

Iknow I am weird so please don't go there. I do appreciate the link beingposted. I have had quite a few different digital cameras. In the past I wouldhave been right there reading and then drooling over the newest camera. Sellingor trading mine at a loss. Now that it has been out for a while there areseveral threads here on the forum and reviews out there about the K-1 and whatit does well and what it does not.

Forthe first time I don't care. I read them and don't care. I look at my ownresults. I look at the wonderful examples people on this forum are posting. Idon't care what the reviews are saying. The results speak for themselves. Otherthan for a few specialized uses (which I am not into since I do not shootvideo, fast action motion and I use raw) the K-1 is excellent. I think we aregetting close to the point of diminishing returns in this industry for allpurposes other than commercial.

Thiscomparison is interesting but does nothing to sway me. My camera acquisition syndrome seems tobe cured by the K-1, well at least in remission.
09-03-2016, 08:08 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveD Quote
Iknow I am weird so please don't go there. I do appreciate the link beingposted. I have had quite a few different digital cameras. In the past I wouldhave been right there reading and then drooling over the newest camera. Sellingor trading mine at a loss. Now that it has been out for a while there areseveral threads here on the forum and reviews out there about the K-1 and whatit does well and what it does not.

Forthe first time I don't care. I read them and don't care. I look at my ownresults. I look at the wonderful examples people on this forum are posting. Idon't care what the reviews are saying. The results speak for themselves. Otherthan for a few specialized uses (which I am not into since I do not shootvideo, fast action motion and I use raw) the K-1 is excellent. I think we aregetting close to the point of diminishing returns in this industry for allpurposes other than commercial.

Thiscomparison is interesting but does nothing to sway me. My camera acquisition syndrome seems tobe cured by the K-1, well at least in remission.
I already have the K-1 and so it wouldn't sway me in the least either. I added the link so we can bring together in one place at Pentax Forums all the resources about the K-1 so that others can have easy access to them. I've worked in libraries for 33 years, so making information available as a public service is part of my DNA by now!

Last edited by EssJayEff; 09-03-2016 at 08:09 AM. Reason: clarity
09-03-2016, 08:17 AM - 1 Like   #5
CDW
Site Supporter

I'm quite comfortable with the capabilities of my cameras, regardless of what I see in comparison shots on Imaging Resource or DPReview. DPR seems to be infested with Canikon fanboys/gear heads who spend more time criticizing SONY and Pentax than they do shooting. I don't read the postings that often but it seems when I do, I see the same screen names posting the same arrogant comments over and over. They particularly like to perpetuate the myths that Pentax cameras can't focus and there are no Pentax lens worth having.

The AF myth is particularly frustrating. I recently rented the Pentax 60-250mm F4 and I found the focusing just as quick and the IQ just as good as the Canon 70-200mm F4, which is considered one of the sharpest lens in the Canon catalog. I shot Canon for many years and I simply haven't found any limitations with my Pentax gear for my shooting style.

The other issue, which has some validity, is that of video quality. Admittedly the K1 video isn't in the came class as other bodies but then neither is the video from Nikon or Canon bodies when compared to Panasonic or SONY. Canon fell into the DSLR video market by accident, literally. When the 5D2 was released, the video capability was pretty much an afterthought, just as it is now in the K1. Amateur film makers picked up on it and perpetuated Canon. Yet the new 5D4 is handicapped badly in video because Canon refuses to upgrade capabilities that would cannibalize sales of their pro video bodies, in spite of the fact that Panasonic and SONY are eating their lunch in the video arena. The fact is the video output of the K1 is actually not that bad. It's not GH4 or a7s quality but it is certainly useable if a bit of care is taken in setting up the camera and clips are graded in Photoshop or Premiere. I find it considerably better than the original 5D2 which is still used for video shoots.

End of rant. :-)
09-03-2016, 08:58 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

"in-camera JPEGs with default settings"... sigh.

If only Canon/Nikon/Sony and Pentax shared exactly the same 'out-of-the-box' JPEG settings for color settings, NR levels, sharpening, optical corrections applied ...
09-03-2016, 10:09 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just like my fellow members have already posted I am 100% satisfied with the capabilities and image quality of my "sub par" Pentax. Most importantly my customers have never complained. They don't care about the name on my camera. They just care about the results. Unlike reviewers who use a Pentax only to do reviews I use a Pentax everyday. I know what they can do, reviews online never cause me to not to buy a Pentax body or lens that I want.
I look at my K01 as a perfect example. With light fast prime lenses it produces some stunning portraits and close ups. That is why I still own it and use it. If we look on any photo sharing site or here on this forum we will see images taken with Pentax gear that are easily as good as the competition. That comes from cameras that cost much less that what the competition has to offer. That actually makes my service more appealing to customers since I have thousands less in overhead to pass on to them.
Return on investment is the number that matters most to me as a business. So Pentax seems to the smart choice for a business. The so called limitations of Pentax are just false.

09-04-2016, 06:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Yikes! Look at the price!!!

Ignore all these comparisons. JPEG? Really? Using the same lens? Not on DSLR's at least.

All clickbait.