Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2016, 05:03 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Basically I'm saying, until I think I need the resolution, the next APS-c body might be my next choice, or the K-70. But right now, the K-3 is doing everything I need. I have nothing against K-1, except for the Canadian dollar is so low, it's exorbitantly expensive. Almost 3k up here with tax.
Or you can buy it from B&H for about 2.3K$. CAD. That's almost nothing...

You know what? I was exactly in the same boat. The K-3 is a fantastic camera, and I did not expect to purchase a K-1. But after discussion with Adam, we agreed that to continue reviewing new lenses, a FF body was necessary, so I bought one at the end of June.

The K-3 has not been used once since. It's sitting idle on my desk, and I'm considering selling it. Optically the K-1 is superior, especially at higher ISO, that's a given. But the way the camera is built, its features, its design, THAT'S what makes it so unique.

09-11-2016, 05:50 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I read the article with a smile, initially not for the content but just with the pleasure of Pentax having some detailed press coverage for a change. The article gave the K1 a very positive review but for me the K1 is still a "want" not a "need". My K3 provides everything I "need" at the moment and although I "want" a K1 that "want" may not be satiated until the K1 sale price is discounted (if that ever happens). I loath buying a camera or lens only to find the price has fallen 30% a few months later.
09-11-2016, 12:56 PM   #18
Site Supporter

I think Ricoh bottomed out on the price up front vs. starting high and lowering it as time goes on.

09-11-2016, 04:13 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Bottomed out on price for the body but started at premium with D-FA zooms.

09-11-2016, 06:07 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Bottomed out on price for the body but started at premium with D-FA zooms.
Yep, I bought of lovely new D-FA 28-105 direct from Ricoh Europe a couple of months ago as they had given me a 10% off voucher for my birthday. Then a couple of months later a premium UK dealer had a special offer on the same lens with 30% off the list price, I tried not to get too upset.

When the K3 first became available in the UK the asking price was around 1100, I bought mine less than six months later for 800 (with free DA 50mm lens) and now they are down to 575 (body only) with the K3ii at around 700. I bought my MX-1 new for 190 incl. leather case a year after it was released at >400, and I have a nearly new K-01 which I bought for 180 when the launch price was 679 in the UK. I think I have read that sales for the K1 are going well so Ricoh hasn't had to start down the discounting road quite yet because of a lot of pent-up demand for the full frame Pentax. If the K1 still hasn't been discounted by next summer I might sell a car/wife/child/kidney and be forced to pay the asking of 1550.