Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2016, 05:28 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
How to manage?

Hi everybody ,

Allthough it's said and known that our K-1 can develop better on some points concerning video, yesterday i went to a funeral of a friend and did video shooting.
It was difficult without full-auto focus. Nevertheless, i don't see that as my biggest problem.

What i can't manage is the sound.
I used my small and lightweight Sennheiser PX100 headphone and my Rode stereo video mic pro attached to the K1.

Is there any way to manage the sound in an instance in such a situation? Anybody knows how or a good workaround???

For now i had to dive into the video menu, set the sound to manual etcetcetc..

Now i'm getting some very high overmodulated sound or no sound at all.

I've managed a bit using the sound-knops on the Rode, but, how to manage it on my K1?

Optimal will be if i can hear through my headphone the sound-level and by turning a wheel can change the volume to softer or louder.

Maybe i've missed something so if you know 'how to', please inform me if possible?

Thx in advance.
Rgrds. Henk.

09-13-2016, 07:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've no solution to your particular case, unfortunately, I'd just like to propose an additional angle to the issue.

Since I often record concerts, sound is of the utmost importance to me, and the difference between a camera and a dedicated recorder is night and day (if only because of uncompressed WAV vs compressed AAC).

We spend a lot on cameras and lenses, to me an expense of around 200$/€/£ for a dedicated recorder (which will generally give you two mic inputs and two built-in mics in a XY or ORTF-like pair) is justifiable.
The rig will only get a little bit bulkier, but the result would be quite different.

By the way, given how little space audio takes, you can just let the recorder roll for a couple of hours and start/stop the video recording as you please.
09-13-2016, 08:19 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
+1 to using a separate recorder. Sometimes difficult to sync when editing but the camera sound is usually good enough and quality is so much better, and of course the device is designed to record sound with some external controls.