Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2016, 02:59 AM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Looks good to me. Differences of less than 5 points are probably not visible in real world shooting. Certainly the sensors in the A7r II and D810 are very close in performance to the one in the K-1. Biggest difference is that the A7r II will have a lot better video performance. The A7r II does a little better with regard to dynamic range over iso 3200 situations, but read only a little better. Sony has overstated their iso values as usual, while Pentax has them correctly valued.

I guess the point difference between the K-1 and D810 is due to the dynamic range of 14.6 versus 14.8 at base iso for those cameras respectively and a tiny difference in color depth in favor of the D810.

Big thing is that having features like pixel shift and astro tracer does put the K-1 on top in my book, although if you need faster frame rate or a sports camera, you are probably better off getting a camera that rates lower on the DXO Mark sensor list that actually performs well in those situations.

09-16-2016, 03:20 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
They should do a pixel shift run. It should score better on all counts. Also did they weigh the overall score the same as for the Nikons???
If I'm not mistaken combining 4 shots should in theory improve all three subscores by 1 stop/bit/Ev, and thus the total score by 5 points, which should put it on par with 645Z (101). I hope DXOmark will update the review with PS scores so we don't have to speculate if theory and practice correlates.
09-16-2016, 03:36 AM - 2 Likes   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
They have not tested a Pentax lens since November 2013, so I would not hold my breath waiting !!
They most certainly have tested many lenses since then -- they just haven't published the results on DxOmark. This suggests that DxOmark has a different business model than DxO labs which may explain why Pentax gets no love.
09-16-2016, 04:09 AM - 2 Likes   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
If I'm not mistaken combining 4 shots should in theory improve all three subscores by 1 stop/bit/Ev, and thus the total score by 5 points, which should put it on par with 645Z (101). I hope DXOmark will update the review with PS scores so we don't have to speculate if theory and practice correlates.
It would be a little funny to have pixel shift improve the 'sports' column score when it's only applicable to shooting baseball* and world class ferret-legging.

*It was a joke. Baseball fans should pretend I typed cricket to avoid offence.

09-16-2016, 04:20 AM   #50
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
The k-1 is third in sports score (after only a7s and a7 r II and second in dr (after Nikon D810) and eight in color depth. That kills the score.

They should do a pixel shift run. It should score better on all counts. Also did they weigh the overall score the same as for the Nikons???
The difference is within the margin of error
09-16-2016, 06:58 AM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
It would be a little funny to have pixel shift improve the 'sports' column score when it's only applicable to shooting baseball* and world class ferret-legging.
Hehe, that are the sideeffects from testing moving subject photography with a still standing subject.. I struggle to find real world use cases where high ISO pixel shift would be more useful then just lowering the ISO.
09-16-2016, 07:04 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Is it just me or are the effects of Pixel Shift pretty spotty? I believe it was Imaging Resources who couldn't get much improvement with a test image even though they gave it the old college try. There seem to be un-explained parameters to getting an improved image with it.
09-16-2016, 07:38 AM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Is it just me or are the effects of Pixel Shift pretty spotty? I believe it was Imaging Resources who couldn't get much improvement with a test image even though they gave it the old college try. There seem to be un-explained parameters to getting an improved image with it.
very subjectively - using live view (so mirror up), 2 sec timer, so noi motion from pressing shutter release, zooming in on LCD to focus (using focus peaking aid) ISO 100, rock solid tripod, indoors, high quality lens, static subject - pixel shift gives a noticeably clearer cleaner, sharper-looking image. This drops off in relation to lessening of any of those pre-requisites.

Last edited by ffking; 09-16-2016 at 08:17 AM.
09-16-2016, 07:46 AM   #54
Pentaxian

Hi Normhead,

You are right. I have not been able to pin it down but it does seem to vary from shot to shot. Some places the effect is very noticeable, in other situations, you can barely see it. I guess in a way, it is a testament to how the sensor is in the first place.
09-16-2016, 07:51 AM   #55
Veteran Member

It requires rock solid support. Anything moves or vibrates and the output is at best about the same as normal exposure. Before that focus must be nailed. Forget AF with PS.
09-16-2016, 08:03 AM   #56
Site Supporter

I guess I would say that pixel shift requires a scene that is pretty static and obviously a camera with a solid base. If things are moving around at all, then motion correction just substitutes the first image meaning that you are just getting a single image for those parts of the scene.

If I go out early in the morning with a sharp lens and its a still day, pixel shift gives me a base file with amazing latitude with regard to processing ability. If I see that there is even a light breeze blowing, I don't even try and just shoot single low iso images (which are pretty good in themselves).
09-16-2016, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
In Finland the prices for lenses are so ridiculous that Canon 5D4 with few good L-lenses equals K-1 kit with new d-fa zooms. And the new Canon is now in the same ballbark as Sony ff-cameras in terms of performance.

Of these two it is the Canon which wins in my book thanks to supreme selection of special lenses like the WA T-SE and excellent 90mm T-SE.

Easy to joke about Canon but they have all use cases covered and if/when ML firmware hits mk4 it leaves all others eating dust in terms of features. Display gain alone is worth it.
At least for you it's worth it. Others may not agree. My guess is, that if you are a working pro, with a really good income, and you need one of the specialty lenses Canon supports, then it's good deal. However, for the average guy, cost is still an issue. From my perspective, the Canon shooters I see all the time have something I don't. Really good high paying jobs and lots of disposable income. But for the average guy, if you can't afford the high end gear Pentax is a much better option. All I hear when i read posts like that is "I'm rich beyond your wildest dreams and i can buy whatever I want."

Selection is only a factor, if you actually partake of that selection. If Pentax gear covers your needs, knowing there's all kinds of specialty gear available from Canon makes no difference at all.

I also find it odd, when folks talk about Canon specialty lenses, to one of my Canon user buddies, when I'm able to drop my 40XS and 21 ltd. into a small case and stick it in my pocket constitutes specially gear. Small portable equipment that can go anywhere and produce superb images. Pentax has some niche products that if Canon had them would be promoted as special lenses. The fact that you would treasure what Canon does well, and not mention the things Pentax does well, that Canon doesn't, means your post is somewhat biased right off the bat. Simple fact, Canon does more of what Pentax doesn't do, but Pentax does some things Canon doesn't do such as affordable WR, in body SR and Pixel shift and still has stop more DR than the best Canon, compared, best model to best model. If those things Pentax does are up your alley, as in my case, "Canon does more specialty lenses" is just "blah , blah, blah".

In my experience, of the 20 or so guys I casually hang out with from time to time, 3 Canon shooters have switched to Nikon recently because of the DR in their landscape issues. So I see this as a really big thing for Canon. Most of the guys I shoot with have never changed brands and are happy to shoot with what they started with... except for Canon shooters. Just like Pentax lost users over AF speed and no FF, one of which has been rectified, Canon lost shooters over lack of Dynamic Range. At least in my neck of the woods. And since my K-5 still has as good DR as any Canon made, the K-1 appeals to me because it's an improvement over the K-5. I'm not interested in new gear to get the same as what I have.

Last edited by normhead; 09-16-2016 at 08:36 AM.
09-16-2016, 09:17 AM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter

While I think this is an interesting discussion, the only test that matters to me is my test. I am at once perfecttly unbiased (I have absolutely no opinion about any other camera) and completely biased (I believe, in advance, I want no other camera).
09-16-2016, 10:25 AM   #59

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Excellent ! Yeah , 3280 ISO sport and 96 grade, that's pretty good, among the top full frame performers. I want to check the color accuracy. I don't know if that the lenses I use or the sensor , but the colors I get from the K1 aren't exactly the ones I would like to see.
I have been having the same issues. Lightroom does not like K1 colors. I've tried Huelight and made my own profiles which is an improvement but yellows/greens just always seem a little off.
09-16-2016, 10:32 AM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I have a Spyder Express.
yes ,thanks, that's a good idea to order to santa claus.