Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
09-20-2016, 07:15 AM   #31
Forum Member

The EFC, in Live View is great add, (similar to how Nikon implemented this in the D810), so the fact you can't use it in normal mode must be a limitation of the sensor.

In Pixel shift mode, the EFC is already used.

Question for others, on the bracketing changes.

For me the current way you bracket in M mode, is strange, in that the camera brackets both aperture and shutter speed. So I have to move to Av mode, which means you have to take 5 images, knowing 1 will be grossly overexposed. Not a big deal, but it would be nice for Pentax to all you to just stay in M mode and just bracket the shutter speed, as all of other DSLR's allow. Does this firmware go towards allowing this?

Thanks
Paul C

09-20-2016, 07:31 AM   #32
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul2660 Quote
The EFC, in Live View is great add, (similar to how Nikon implemented this in the D810), so the fact you can't use it in normal mode must be a limitation of the sensor.

In Pixel shift mode, the EFC is already used.

Question for others, on the bracketing changes.

For me the current way you bracket in M mode, is strange, in that the camera brackets both aperture and shutter speed. So I have to move to Av mode, which means you have to take 5 images, knowing 1 will be grossly overexposed. Not a big deal, but it would be nice for Pentax to all you to just stay in M mode and just bracket the shutter speed, as all of other DSLR's allow. Does this firmware go towards allowing this?

Thanks
Paul C

Read the manual and you will find ways to tweak the bracketing behavior to your liking, no need for that extremely over exposed frame...
09-20-2016, 07:41 AM   #33
Veteran Member

EFCS in live view is a step up from Nikon which needs Mup mode to engage it.
09-20-2016, 07:41 AM   #34
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Read the manual and you will find ways to tweak the bracketing behavior to your liking, no need for that extremely over exposed frame...

Don't tease, I have read the manual and talked to Pentax and currently there is no way in M mode just to bracket for exposure (unless you know of a trick?), thus you bracket exposure and aperture, (not good for HDR work due to changes in DOF).

In Av mode, you can fix the aperture, Say F11, but as in all Av modes on any camera, you can't control the shutter speed, thus 3 frames won't be enough and 5 is too many (due to the 1 frame being mostly overexposed in normal light).

Paul C

09-20-2016, 07:53 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
EFCS in live view is a step up from Nikon which needs Mup mode to engage it.
I hope it will work in MUP mode as well.
09-20-2016, 07:59 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Hm? I am very sure that ages ago with K20D I was able to bracket in M-mode by just using exposure time. Very weird if K-1 does not allow it.
09-20-2016, 08:08 AM   #37
Unregistered User

Don't tease, I have read the manual and talked to Pentax and currently there is no way in M mode just to bracket for exposure (unless you know of a trick?), thus you bracket exposure and aperture, (not good for HDR work due to changes in DOF).

In Av mode, you can fix the aperture, Say F11, but as in all Av modes on any camera, you can't control the shutter speed, thus 3 frames won't be enough and 5 is too many (due to the 1 frame being mostly overexposed in normal light).

Paul C
When in M mode I have a set aperture and the bracketing is with shutter speed. If I want I can have it the other way round or as you have it. Depending on how you have set your green button to work it will act accordingly. I have mine set to Tv-shift.

09-20-2016, 08:25 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Weird mix of statements here.

Nikon D810 has a EFCS based on viewfinder mode. First curtain only. Second is mechanical, so you hear the mechanical shutter closing after the first shot. D810 TIPS | Technical Solutions | Nikon Professional Services
The Firmware here for the K-1 talks about Liveview mode and a full electronic shutter = both curtains electronic. Same as in pixelshift. I would assume the mechanical shutter stays open all the time.
That is different things with mostly different applications, all have their merit.

And obviously liveview automatically means = the mirror is up.
09-20-2016, 08:58 AM   #39
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Weird mix of statements here.

Nikon D810 has a EFCS based on viewfinder mode. First curtain only. Second is mechanical, so you hear the mechanical shutter closing after the first shot. D810 TIPS | Technical Solutions | Nikon Professional Services
The Firmware here for the K-1 talks about Liveview mode and a full electronic shutter = both curtains electronic. Same as in pixelshift. I would assume the mechanical shutter stays open all the time.
That is different things with mostly different applications, all have their merit.

And obviously liveview automatically means = the mirror is up.
I missed that fact, about the full electronic shutter, that is interesting. As you point out, with the D810, EFC only works in Liveview and you still fire the 2nd curtain.

This will be very interesting to see once implemented.

Paul C

---------- Post added 09-20-16 at 09:13 AM ----------

When in M mode I have a set aperture and the bracketing is with shutter speed. If I want I can have it the other way round or as you have it. Depending on how you have set your green button to work it will act accordingly. I have mine set to Tv-shift.
There must be a step I am missing, as in M mode, with bracketing, my K1 will change both the aperture and shutter speed. I use the mode which fire all 5 brackets at once, as I find that works better for me. If you turn that off, and hit the green button after each shot, you can roll the aperture back to where you want it, but this of course takes considerably longer and you touch the camera, which always adds the risk of mis alignment, ( I realize with modern software this risk is lower that it used to be.)

Paul C
09-20-2016, 09:19 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Fully electronic shutter (silent shutter) on A7R2 was wonky one. It dropped the output to 12bit mode and messed up short exposures (1/1000 as practical limit or some such). It also caused harsh bokeh effects and ghosting.

Here is an example: What causes this? (silent mode Sony A7R II) - FM Forums

R2 has EFCS mode too, after exposure it blacks out the liveview. In this mode there are no issues. I hope it is this one Pentax has provided.
09-20-2016, 09:27 AM - 2 Likes   #41
Unregistered User

I missed that fact, about the full electronic shutter, that is interesting. As you point out, with the D810, EFC only works in Liveview and you still fire the 2nd curtain.

This will be very interesting to see once implemented.

Paul C

---------- Post added 09-20-16 at 09:13 AM ----------

There must be a step I am missing, as in M mode, with bracketing, my K1 will change both the aperture and shutter speed. I use the mode which fire all 5 brackets at once, as I find that works better for me. If you turn that off, and hit the green button after each shot, you can roll the aperture back to where you want it, but this of course takes considerably longer and you touch the camera, which always adds the risk of mis alignment, ( I realize with modern software this risk is lower that it used to be.)

Paul C
You will have to configure the green button to TV-SHIFT when in M-Mode. Page 99 in the manual. Well, these new manuals really suck. Download the one for K-5 and read more on the subject. I.E Go to menu CAMERA-symbol and tab 5. Find E-dial customization. Find M-mode EDIT Green Button behavior to Tv-Shift. Test again.

You are not supposed to press Green button when bracketting. You only need to adjust it's behaviour. Bracketing will follow how the green button is configured...

Do you understand? I try to be as clear as possible but I see that there might be some missunderstanding going on. That is why I prefer to say, Please read the manual but now I see it is no longer in the manual. Old knowledge passed down by the generations...

Last edited by Unregistered User; 09-20-2016 at 09:34 AM.
09-20-2016, 09:33 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Fully electronic shutter (silent shutter) on A7R2 was wonky one. It dropped the output to 12bit mode and messed up short exposures (1/1000 as practical limit or some such). It also caused harsh bokeh effects and ghosting.

Here is an example: What causes this? (silent mode Sony A7R II) - FM Forums

R2 has EFCS mode too, after exposure it blacks out the liveview. In this mode there are no issues. I hope it is this one Pentax has provided.
That example was a result of a rolling shutter and flickering lights. We will probably get this too, and that is why we have mechanical shutters.
It will not be good for fast action but for slow methodical work using a tripod and live view and a scene that doesn't change too fast it will be perfect. Or so I hope.
09-20-2016, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #43
Forum Member

Just wanted to thank you for this, it works!!. I thought I had read the manual on the green button, but did not realize in M mode the green button could be programed as such.

Thanks again for the help. Sadly I must add the Pentax support US folks I have spoken to, has no idea that this can be done, per my attempts to get help over the past few weeks on this.

Paul C
09-20-2016, 03:49 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hope that Image Transmitter won't barf at my the camera having EFC and 1:1 enabled when tethered. The combo of those two will be great for some of my product shots!
09-20-2016, 03:57 PM   #45
Veteran Member

I never ran into any kind of problems with Sony when using EFCS only instead of fully electronic shutter mode. EFCS is enough to prevent the shutter shock.