Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2016, 02:48 PM   #1

SMC Pentax-M lenses

Hi,

I have the K1; and lot of old SMC Pentax-M and SMC Pentax-A lenses (so both K mount) that I used with my old film Pentax cameras (Pentax LX, 1000, Me,...).

I've already used them successfully on my Pentax K5.

But today, I've tried to use them with my new K1 and;

- the SMC Pentax-A worked perfectly (manual focus). Just plug them, start the K1, it asked for the length lense (ex 28mm)... and it's worked; but be sure to pute the apperture ring on "A", else it wont work; it will do like for SMC Pentax-M lense:

- the SMC Pentax-M do not worked on the K1, the K1 will just start and displayed "F--" blinking on rear LCD... and I'm not able to take any picture, whatevers the selected mode is (even if I select full manual, no autofocus, etc).

On the article Pentax K-1 Lens Compatibility Guide - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
it said that Pentax-M (K mount) worked with Pentax K1...
So, is there something to do to use Pentax-M lense? What I'm doing wrong?

Thanks & regards.

C.

09-18-2016, 02:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Hi,

From https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...-k-30-etc.html

Ensure that the "Using Aperture Ring" custom function is set to "2 (allowed)"
09-18-2016, 03:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I had no problem with M75-170mm and M-100mm f4.
I doubt you don't know about function #26 in custom menu since you have used M lenses on K5.
09-18-2016, 03:30 PM   #4
Forum Member

Used/Using many M-Lenses on my K-1 too, there must be a hidden setting somewhere!

09-18-2016, 05:44 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is usually #26 in the settings.
It's very likely that you forgot you ever changed that setting on your K-5. I know I nearly did when using my K-1 the first time
09-18-2016, 05:46 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ramuk Quote
Hi,

From https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...-k-30-etc.html

Ensure that the "Using Aperture Ring" custom function is set to "2 (allowed)"
MENU | C | 4 | 26 Using Aperture Ring > 2 Enable
09-18-2016, 08:39 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
MENU | C | 4 | 26 Using Aperture Ring > 2 Enable
The blinking "F- -" is an indication that this has not been set.

Additionally with the K-1 as with the K5 you can set the DOF preview to Optical in the menu settings. Then with non-A manual focus lenses when you operate the DOF preview the EV bars turn on. You can then set the exposure by changing the shutter speed with the eDial or the f-stop with the aperture ring.

You may prefer this over using the green button on your M series lenses.
09-19-2016, 01:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by colliculus Quote
Hi,

I have the K1; and lot of old SMC Pentax-M and SMC Pentax-A lenses (so both K mount) that I used with my old film Pentax cameras (Pentax LX, 1000, Me,...).

I've already used them successfully on my Pentax K5.

But today, I've tried to use them with my new K1 and;

- the SMC Pentax-A worked perfectly (manual focus). Just plug them, start the K1, it asked for the length lense (ex 28mm)... and it's worked; but be sure to pute the apperture ring on "A", else it wont work; it will do like for SMC Pentax-M lense:

- the SMC Pentax-M do not worked on the K1, the K1 will just start and displayed "F--" blinking on rear LCD... and I'm not able to take any picture, whatevers the selected mode is (even if I select full manual, no autofocus, etc).

On the article Pentax K-1 Lens Compatibility Guide - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
it said that Pentax-M (K mount) worked with Pentax K1...
So, is there something to do to use Pentax-M lense? What I'm doing wrong?

Thanks & regards.

C.
First you have to enable using of full manual lenses in camera menu by enabling option "Using Aperture Ring" (disable or 1 is default, you have to enable it setting to 2).
Second use M (manual) mode on camera mode dial.
Third use green button for exposure metering.

NOTE: You can shoot in other modes (Av, TAv...) and you will even have automatic metering (no need for green button) but whatever you do with aperture ring on your lens camera will shoot WIDE OPEN in those modes.

NOTE2: It is perfectly normal to have F-- indication because camera don't have information on aperture because it is full manual. In exif of your shots you will have aperture f/0 (pretty fast )

09-19-2016, 11:45 AM   #9

Original Poster
Hi,

Ok it's worked to setup the C menu, using apperture ring.
I've just completly forgot that I did it on my K5 5 years ago! (as we do it only once at all!).

Thanks for the reply.
09-19-2016, 12:03 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Yep, usually a setting you set once and forget. I don't know why enabled isn't the default. Does it have an affect on metering or program lines when enabled and DA/D-FA lenses without rings are used?
09-19-2016, 01:43 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Yep, usually a setting you set once and forget. I don't know why enabled isn't the default. Does it have an affect on metering or program lines when enabled and DA/D-FA lenses without rings are used?
I'd like to know as well how that setting affect the camera performance. Ones I enable it, I never change to disable. Is it wrong?
09-19-2016, 02:23 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I have thought the same thing ever since I first encountered it on the K10d 8 years ago, Most of my lenses had aperture rings back then, and it drove me nuts until I found that setting. It is now part of my procedure with each new body.