Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2016, 01:55 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Lens EXIF on Flickr

I know this is trivial in one sense, but I don't like it when things don't appear to be working as they should - for some reason the information about what lens I'm using on the K-1 isn't appearing on my Flickr page - it shows the focal length,but not what the lens is under the camera information - that's with all lenses I've used so far - has anybody got any idea why, and how to put it right? - seems to work for other people.

Thanks

09-19-2016, 02:35 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I know this is trivial in one sense, but I don't like it when things don't appear to be working as they should - for some reason the information about what lens I'm using on the K-1 isn't appearing on my Flickr page - it shows the focal length,but not what the lens is under the camera information - that's with all lenses I've used so far - has anybody got any idea why, and how to put it right? - seems to work for other people.

Thanks
I, for one, have never had the type of lens used to take the photograph ided in the EXIF info available on flickr. It just shows focal length as you indicate. However you say it works different for other people??

I, too, would like to know the answer

Have you asked flickr directly?

I hadn't because I didn't know other people were having different experiences
09-19-2016, 02:40 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I don't use Flickr myself, but have tried to find what lens was used to take a flickr photo and couldn't. I think Flickr does not automatically identify the lens. In the cases where the lens is listed, it is entered by hand.
Remember that the exif data does not actually contain the name of the lens, only a lens ID number. Then the software or website has to look up that number in a table to find the name.
I may be wrong though, I use another website to host my photos (sig), and that one has been updated to do this automatically
09-19-2016, 03:04 AM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I maybe wrong, but I think it depends on camera brand. Exif is a funny thing, it doesn't give out the same info for all brands. I also don't think it gives out the same info for non-brand lenses (ie sigma) vs. brand lenses (ie a pentax lens). Each brand has its own unique set of fields some of which can be read by standard EXIF readers and others of which can't. Have you seen any Pentax photos that have the lens info on them?

09-19-2016, 03:17 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
thanks for replies - My K10D and K-3 both showed lens information on Flickr without me doing anything to make it happen - and I've looked at another Flickr user of the same combo (our very own Tas) - specifically K-1 + 70-200 f/2.8, and the lens ID is showing there -and it's always just happened in the past. I haven't asked Flickr, a I wondered if there was any setting on the camera which affects what info is stored with the image file - I can't see anything in the menu options, but there are so many sub-options that I wondered if I was missing something
09-19-2016, 03:20 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
No, it's not by manual input.

Depends on the lens. For some lenses, it seems there is a "special" kind of info in the exif. Example:
DA L 50mm 1.8 does show automatically in Flickr. It also shows automatically in Lightroom 5 if you choose "Lens Profile Correction"

DA 18-55 WR does not show automatically in Flickr. Only the focal length of the photo is listed. In Lightroom, if you choose Lens Correction you must manually choose the lens from the profiles listed, it is not chosen automatically (i.e. instantly recognized) as in the DA L 50mm 1.8 case.

This is why i think it's rather something related to our exif info and not to Flickr and the way it reads some lens profiles from the Exif, since another program fails to instantly recognize that same lens as well.

It is also not a primes being detected vs zooms not, since i do remember seeing photos taken with the DA* 16-50 with the lens listed in Flickr.

Last edited by Penumbra; 09-19-2016 at 03:52 AM.
09-19-2016, 03:24 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge

thanks for replies - My K10D and K-3 both showed lens information on Flickr without me doing anything to make it happen - and I've looked at another Flickr user of the same combo (our very own Tas) - specifically K-1 + 70-200 f/2.8, and the lens ID is showing there -and it's always just happened in the past. I haven't asked Flickr, a I wondered if there was any setting on the camera which affects what info is stored with the image file - I can't see anything in the menu options, but there are so many sub-options that I wondered if I was missing something

I hate trying to send a message directly when questioning flickr. it always directs you to the community. I finally worked through and sent one today, it went to yahoo. so we will see.

my photos placed on flickr have all been shot with pentax bodies, some with and some without pentax lenses. no difference

flickr.com/photos/pre69cubfan/albums

can some one look at one photo on the account and see what you can see when you check the exif data on the photo and let us know the result?

thanks
09-19-2016, 03:26 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm just wondering now if it's because Lightroom 5.7 doesn't recognise the lens - is that a possible explanation? I guess I should try posting a picture taken with an older DA lens to check - will report back

---------- Post added 09-19-16 at 03:34 AM ----------

I'm just wondering now if it's because Lightroom 5.7 doesn't recognise the lens - is that a possible explanation? I guess I should try posting a picture taken with an older DA lens to check - will report back
Looks like that might be it - I uploaded a shot with the DA 18-55 kit lens, and the lens ID data were there. So - can anybody tell me how to get lens profiles added to Lightroom?

09-19-2016, 03:40 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge

I post my pictures to flickr directly from the image stored on my computer, I then use the editing program of flickr to make changes, I don't use "light room" or even the computer's editing system.

so the exif data should not be affected at all

correct?

I just took the photo below put the sd card into the computer and then posted the photo directly from the card to my Flickr.com account. you can see what the exif data on it shows when viewed on flickr.

I used my K 3 + HD PENTAX-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR

what am I doing wrong???

/4.5
60.0 mm
1/6
Flash (off, did not fire)
Hide EXIF
Make - RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.
Orientation - Horizontal (normal)
X-Resolution - 300 dpi
Y-Resolution - 300 dpi
Software - PENTAX K-3 Ver. 1.21
Date and Time (Modified) - 2016:09:19 04:49:16
Artist - AllenCorzine
YCbCr Positioning - Co-sited
Copyright - AllenCorzine
ISO Speed - 3200
Sensitivity Type - Standard Output Sensitivity
Standard Output Sensitivity - 3200
Exif Version - 0230
Date and Time (Original) - 2016:09:19 04:49:16
Date and Time (Digitized) - 2016:09:19 04:49:16
Components Configuration - Y, Cb, Cr, -
Exposure Bias - 0 EV
Metering Mode - Multi-segment
Flashpix Version - 0100
Color Space - sRGB
Sensing Method - One-chip color area
File Source - Digital Camera
Scene Type - Directly photographed
Custom Rendered - Normal
Exposure Mode - Auto
White Balance - Auto
Focal Length (35mm format) - 90 mm
Scene Capture Type - Standard
Contrast - High
Saturation - Normal
Sharpness - Hard
Subject Distance Range - Distant
Interop Index - R98 - DCF basic file (sRGB)
Interop Version - 0100
Print IMVersion - 0300
Compression - JPEG (old-style)
Thumbnail Offset - 32130
Thumbnail Length - 6142
Camera ID - 72157636367930763
Camera Type - Digital SLR
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by Aslyfox; 09-19-2016 at 03:59 AM. Reason: adding photo and message
09-19-2016, 03:54 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
so the exif data should not be affected at all

correct?
OK - so I took a jpeg and uploaded it directly to Flickr without going through Lightroom, fully expecting that to have lens ID data - and it didn't - which leads back to the camera?
09-19-2016, 04:03 AM   #11
Site Supporter

OK here is your answer. Flickr does not show information from maker note which is where newer Pentax cameras store lens information. What I discovered is that you can use a free program called ExifToolGUI.exe (google it). It has the ability to write the lens info from maker notes to the regular Exif info that Flickr picks up their data from. What I do is import my photos into my folders for storage and before I do any editing I run ExifToolGUI.exe and copy over the lens data. The Tool has the ability to batch edit every photo in a folder. There are other features the tool has but this was most important to me. Any questions just PM me and I'll try to help.

Hope this helps

Larry

Thanks
09-19-2016, 04:03 AM - 1 Like   #12
Seeker of Knowledge

recheck request

please check my edited reply below

by the way, my son, when he was younger called the deer mount pictured "Rudolf"

I told him I didn't care but he was not to tell his young friends that dad had "Rudolf the Reindeer" hanging on the way
09-19-2016, 04:14 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
OK here is your answer. Flickr does not show information from maker note which is where newer Pentax cameras store lens information. What I discovered is that you can use a free program called ExifToolGUI.exe (google it). It has the ability to write the lens info from maker notes to the regular Exif info that Flickr picks up their data from. What I do is import my photos into my folders for storage and before I do any editing I run ExifToolGUI.exe and copy over the lens data. The Tool has the ability to batch edit every photo in a folder. There are other features the tool has but this was most important to me. Any questions just PM me and I'll try to help.

Hope this helps

Larry
that's interesting - I'll certainly have a look at that. What is weird in that context is that the lens data for my DA 18-55 on the K-1 do show up in Flickr - and, of course, Tas's lens data for the 70-200 show up - the only difference I can see is hat he is using LR 6, and I'm using 5

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
by the way, my son, when he was younger called the deer mount pictured "Rudolf"

I told him I didn't care but he was not to tell his young friends that dad had "Rudolf the Reindeer" hanging on the way
09-19-2016, 04:30 AM   #14

Photos: Albums
Again, i don't think it has anything to do with Lightroom or it's versions or routing the photo through Lightroom to get that lens info in Flickr.

Same lens that had lens info in Flickr also had Lens correction profile autofilled by LR, if the option was checked.

Same lens that didn't have info in Flickr also needed manual input of lens name in the LR profile correction.

I also don't think it has anything to do with the newer versions of info where somewhat personal data might be stored. A new lens, like the 20-40 ltd. does show it's name in the Flickr postings.
09-19-2016, 04:41 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Are your uploads in-camera JPG's?

I'm not seeing lens info for in-camera JPG images however my RAW files exported from ACR or PTX DCU (which does not show the Sigma lens info either) are correctly showing lens info for my K-1 pics with PTX DFA and Sigma lenses. I have not added anything with ExifTool or other.

Using Mac OS X 10.11.6. Raw originals are in DNG format.