Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2016, 06:21 AM   #1

Lenses for K-1 - help needed :)

Hi there,
I'm planning a lens setup for my upcoming K-1. I shoot various subjects and I would like to use full potential of K-1 full frame.

First, I need a universal lens for regular shooting (street, nature, landscapes): HD Pentax-D FA 24-70mm F2.8 ED SDM WR?

Next, I will need a good macro (abstract textures - one of my favorite subjects): ​SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR?

In the future I would also consider some tele (nature): ​HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW? and a fish-eye (completely no idea here) or wide-angle (for night sky and architecture): HD Pentax-D FA 15-30mm F2.8 ED SDM WR?

This would give me a complete set of lenses for my needs. Will be grateful for any help and suggestions regarding these choices.

Regards,
Adam

09-19-2016, 06:35 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome aboard. Well, I don't own the D FA 28-70, but I am very pleased with my D FA 28-105. A little more range and a lot less expensive. It is not fixed aperture. The Pentax Macro you listed is a good lens with a good reputation. It does not have an aperture ring which some people like for macro. The Tamron lens in the same focal length range is also very good, autofocus and with an aperture ring. I have been using a Tamron 70-200 f 2.8 lens for several years now. It is a screw drive autofocus system and not weather resistant but it does the job and is a lot less expensive than the new Pentax version. However the people here who have the new Pentax 70-200 seem to really like it, I have had the D FA 150-450 lens for over a year now and it is almost always on one of my cameras when I am out, Excellent performer. I have found myself taking scenery shots at the 150 end and closeups at the 450mm end. It does a great job on flowers. Heavy but at 65 I don't mind lugging it around too much.
09-19-2016, 06:54 AM   #3

Hi Adam, I can't speak for most of those lenses (mostly out of my price range) but I got the Pentax D-FA 100mm for my K3 when it was on sale last winter and I love it. The lens is amazingly sharp, and I suspect the focal length will work even better on a full frame sensor.

You couldn't go wrong with the three lenses you've listed as they're basically top of the line that Pentax offers, but if money _is_ a concern then yeah I've heard great things about the D-FA 28-105mm that gaweidert mentioned, and you can always look at the third party guys too, and the used marketplace on the forums here. If I recall correctly there's a Sigma 70-200 2.8 on the marketplace right now going for $650, for example.
09-19-2016, 07:04 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by AdamWysokinski Quote
Hi there,
I'm planning a lens setup for my upcoming K-1. I shoot various subjects and I would like to use full potential of K-1 full frame.

First, I need a universal lens for regular shooting (street, nature, landscapes): HD Pentax-D FA 24-70mm F2.8 ED SDM WR?

Next, I will need a good macro (abstract textures - one of my favorite subjects): ​SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR?

In the future I would also consider some tele (nature): ​HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW? and a fish-eye (completely no idea here) or wide-angle (for night sky and architecture): HD Pentax-D FA 15-30mm F2.8 ED SDM WR?

This would give me a complete set of lenses for my needs. Will be grateful for any help and suggestions regarding these choices.

Regards,
Adam
If you prefer zooms over primes, and budget+size+weight is not a problem, you already have all answers.
Off course 1:1 macro is an exception, it must be a prime, so D-FA 100mm WR is the best candidate. Tamron 90mm macro is a cheaper alternative.
As far as I know there is no full frame fish-eye lens for K mount in production (Maybe you should try with Sigma 15mm Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database and/or Zenitar 16mm Zenitar 16mm f2.8 Fisheye Lens Reviews - Russian and Zenitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database) but there are also couple of older fish-eye lenses second hand.
Another option especially If you are Pentax APS-C user is to try DA 10-17mm fisheye zoom. That is a crop lens but it is usable between 14,5mm and 17mm on K-1 in full frame mode. You can use it on K-1 in crop mode also or if you have Pentax APS-C body you can have full potential of this lens. Btw 10mm on crop is the same field of view as 15mm on full frame. Both are usable on K-1 10mm in crop and 15mm in full frame mode.

Last edited by banep; 09-19-2016 at 07:38 AM.
09-19-2016, 07:29 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I recently picked up a DFA 100mm for my K-1 and I can say i'm extremely pleased.

I'm not great at macro but here's some I just took the other day (Posted in the k-1 pictures thread) https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/314413-post-your-k-1-pictu...ml#post3776063

There's lens review area that PF users have posted their thoughts (and some sample pictures)

Digital Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

You can also search for specific camera body/lens combos in the photo archive.
Pentax Camera & Lens Sample Photo Search Engine - PentaxForums.com

Good luck and welcome to the forums.
09-19-2016, 07:34 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Pentax DFA 15-30, 24-70 and 70-200 are all very good. I have the 24-70 and use it daily. The 15-30 and 70-200 get very good reviews. The DFA 100mm macro WR is the one to get, though any of the Pentax 100mm macros will work.

For Fisheye there is the F 17-28 FE which is available used and I find works well enough for me. There is a new fisheye on the lens road map but not until 2017 most likely.

There are also older lenses still available used from the film era, but if you have the budget the new DFA ones you have listed would be the way to go.
09-19-2016, 07:43 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Hi there,

Regards,
Adam
Adam,
Out of all lenses you mentioned I have only 2: DFA 24-70 and 70-200. I'm very happy with those. Highly recommended.
I was debating between 24-70 and 28-105 (highly regarded) and settled with the former due to extra 4mm on the wider side and faster constant aperture despite the much higher price.
Good luck and happy shooting with whatever lenses you get.
09-19-2016, 09:07 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The DA 10-17 FE lens covers the whole full frame sensor when zoomed in beyond 15mm. And it is still available new. I also own the DFA 24-70 and it is superb. But you can also have relatively good Sigma 24-70 if you are after value and not the absolute best.
I still wait for a comapct wide angle though. Would not mind limited aperture, but I want a rectilinear ultra wide under 500g weight. Not available, unfortunately.

09-19-2016, 09:31 AM   #9
Emperor and Senpai

Add the DFA 150-450 to your set you named and then you will have a complete set for all your needs. Add in the FA 31 and FA77 along with the DA*55 and you would likely have all you'd ever need. Add in the 1.7 AFA if you wanted even more reach.
09-19-2016, 03:48 PM   #10

Hi there,

First, I need a universal lens for regular shooting (street, nature, landscapes): HD Pentax-D FA 24-70mm F2.8 ED SDM WR? yes

Next, I will need a good macro (abstract textures - one of my favorite subjects): ​SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR? yes

In the future I would also consider some tele (nature): ​HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW? maybe you can find cheap zooms if you are not picky and dont hang out in the snow
and a fish-eye (completely no idea here) me neither but this is a specialty lens.
or wide-angle (for night sky and architecture): HD Pentax-D FA 15-30mm F2.8 ED SDM WR should work?
09-20-2016, 05:24 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thank you all for your valuable comments. I will dig through recommendations less known to me (e.g. FA31, FA77 and DA*55).
I really appreciate your time and efforts.
Regards,
Adam