Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-19-2016, 09:20 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax K-1 and new Eyefi support

I received the following email from Eyefi regarding new support for the Pentax K-1's wifi feature (see my snippet below). The link they provided me seems to be dead today.

According to this notification, I should be able to setup my K-1 as a Wifi camera in my Mobi app. I was able to setup my K-1 as a Wifi camera via the Mobi app, but new photos are never transferred. I'm awaiting feedback on what setup needs to be done to get this working.

I'll post again once I get any new info... (If I've posted this in the wrong spot, sorry!)
Regards, Rod

Eyefi Cloud News & Updates

Transfer photos and videos from your Toshiba FlashAir card
Now there's even more ways to get your photos into Eyefi Cloud! Download the latest apps and then learn how to connect to your Flashair card.
More WiFi cameras now supported
Android users can now connect to the Pentax K-1 and the GoPro Session and have all your photos automatically organized with the rest of your collection. Both iOS and Android users can learn more about all supported models for WiFi transfer here.

09-19-2016, 09:49 AM   #2

Is there any reason to use something else than the build-in WiFi?

Last edited by klaus123; 10-04-2016 at 10:50 PM.
09-19-2016, 10:00 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Klaus, Good question.
I use the Eyefi card's wifi feature since all photos are uploaded to my phone/tablet automatically without any action on my part, and I can post to social media without much fanfare. I've attempted to use the Pentax Wifi setup and Pentax app, but it requires that you select which photos you want to download to the phone. Plus, it the software is clunky.

Using the Eyefi card's wifi can be hit or miss sometimes. I hope that the Pentax Wifi signal is stronger and allows a bit more flexibility in the auto off setup. Right now I have the camera setup to auto off in 30 minutes. A shorter auto off time would save me battery. With a hard on/off switch I can turn off/on the K-1's wifi signal on the fly.
09-19-2016, 10:30 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The native wi-fi provides a stronger signal indeed, but the transfer functionality isn't the most user-friendly, so using eye-fi makes sense (especially since the camera has 2 card slots, so you can essentially choose when to use it).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-19-2016, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I remember my first attempts with an EyeFi and a couple of minor troubleshooting things come to mind:

1) Make sure you are putting jpgs on the EyeFi card. I was putting RAW on when I first tried it out and the regular mobi (not pro) doesn't transfer RAW.
2) Make sure you add a photo during the install/test process - it won't pick up old photos during install as far as I can tell.
3) Try try again. It took two or three tries on two different cards for me to get it to work on my K-50 - I finally got it working and I am sure it was some stupid error I was making - I just keep reading the directions and trying again and I think (I'm nearly certain) that it was my error due to some poorly worded or interpreted instruction.
09-19-2016, 11:02 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
UncleVanya,
Yep, I've had it working for some time. As I understand it, the new feature setup should allow the Eyefi software to transfer files via the camera wifi instead of the Eyefi's wifi. I hope the stronger signal strength gives me a big more flexibility in moving around the house/boat/at parties. Thanks for your feedback.

Adam, Thanks for the affirmation. I was really beating myself over not using the Pentax setup, but it really is clunky. I hope this marries the best of both worlds.
09-19-2016, 12:13 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lazarustx Quote
UncleVanya,
Yep, I've had it working for some time. As I understand it, the new feature setup should allow the Eyefi software to transfer files via the camera wifi instead of the Eyefi's wifi. I hope the stronger signal strength gives me a big more flexibility in moving around the house/boat/at parties. Thanks for your feedback.

Adam, Thanks for the affirmation. I was really beating myself over not using the Pentax setup, but it really is clunky. I hope this marries the best of both worlds.
That would be pretty neat. I was not aware that was an option - I thought they just added support to permit the use of the card and configuration of it in the camera.

09-20-2016, 12:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Well, I'd go for a Toshiba Flash air card myself. Personal experience with Eyefi Mobi has been very poor for me.

Howie Be
09-20-2016, 05:29 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Howie Be,
I should clarify, the Eye Mobi card has functioned flawlessly on several of my Pentax cameras. My attempt here is to setup the card with the K-1's Wifi access. Ricoh support has contacted me so I'll continue to work with them to get this working. They've been very helpful so far, and have my phone/camera setup in house. So I hope to hear something good soon.

I'll keep you folks posted as things progress.
Rod
10-02-2016, 08:02 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lazarustx Quote
Howie Be,
I should clarify, the Eye Mobi card has functioned flawlessly on several of my Pentax cameras. My attempt here is to setup the card with the K-1's Wifi access. Ricoh support has contacted me so I'll continue to work with them to get this working. They've been very helpful so far, and have my phone/camera setup in house. So I hope to hear something good soon.

I'll keep you folks posted as things progress.
Rod
It should be noted that the K-1 is now listed as a Wifi camera on the latest version of the eyefi mobi app! Pretty damn quick downloads of images! I have to admit I haven't tried RAW images yet. I've been working with the team, and they've been super helpful hammering out any glitches that we saw while testing. Give it a try if you haven't done so yet!
10-10-2016, 03:10 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Please keep this thread up to date as you learn more, lazarustx. I've got a couple Eye-Fi cards I'd like to use for quick transfer of jpgs, just to have copies on the phone, and to share immediately with friends, etc. I'll plan to save raws to one card and jpgs to the Eyefi.
10-23-2016, 09:21 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just a follow up as I know that there have been a few updates to the Eye-Fi app recently. However, none are really related to the K-1 as far as I can tell. I am working with them on an issue I'm experiencing if I can recreate the problem I'll send in the log. I'll continue to update this thread if anything changes.