Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2016, 01:36 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Tako Kichi's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Location: SW Ontario, Canada (ex-pat Brit)
Posts: 1,040
When I bought my K-30 all the blurb and the contents list with the box said there should be an eyepiece cap included and I searched the box and packaging for ages and never found one. It was only after coming on here and posting a question that I discovered that they never shipped with the K-30 and I'm not sure what cameras after the K-30 included them. The K-50 I recently had sent to me (thanks again Adam/Pentax Forums) didn't have one in the box either. It would be interesting to know which current cameras include the eyepiece cap with the camera.

09-21-2016, 02:15 PM   #17
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,635
QuoteOriginally posted by UMC Quote
Minolta at that time had a smart solution too: You could slide the camera strap through the rear part of the viewfinder cap, so that the cap got permanently attached to the neckholder strap.
Yes, my Ricoh XR7 had a cap like that. It disappeared when I traded out the original strap for a denim hippie strap.


Steve
09-21-2016, 02:41 PM   #18
Veteran Member
MJKoski's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 761
Canon 1d-series have had extremely good blinder for ages. But they are still dumb enough to NOT offer such 2-penny feature in 5Ds or 5D4 bodies which cost $$$$...
09-21-2016, 02:48 PM   #19
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
csa's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Montana mountains
Posts: 8,348
QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
It would be interesting to know which current cameras include the eyepiece cap with the camera.
My K3 came with one. I would however like to come up with something to be used with the eyecup in place, as I can see the possibility of misplacing the cup!


Last edited by csa; 09-21-2016 at 02:58 PM.
09-21-2016, 03:11 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Tako Kichi's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Location: SW Ontario, Canada (ex-pat Brit)
Posts: 1,040
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
My K3 came with one. I would however like to come up with something to be used with the eyecup in place, as I can see the possibility of misplacing the cup!
See post #4 on page one.

I'm thinking of making one just in case I ever need it. We always have bits of black plastic around here from food packages from the grocery story (ready meals, cake/cookie containers, etc.) and it would only take a few minutes to cut one out and file it to size. I like the idea of leaving a bit extra on it too so that you can drill a hole and mount a cord which would make it easier to hang on the tripod when not in use or help you to find it again if you drop it.
09-21-2016, 03:20 PM   #21
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
csa's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Montana mountains
Posts: 8,348
I'll have to experiment, I have the Magnifying eyecup on mine, so don't know if plastic will slip behind it or not.
09-21-2016, 05:04 PM   #22
Veteran Member
MJKoski's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 761
I stuffed Sugru around the black plastic OVF cover piece. It is now sealed shut for ever.
09-21-2016, 05:22 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Tako Kichi's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Location: SW Ontario, Canada (ex-pat Brit)
Posts: 1,040
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I'll have to experiment, I have the Magnifying eyecup on mine, so don't know if plastic will slip behind it or not.
So do I but the idea is to slip the plastic in front of the eyepiece but under the rubber edges so that they hold it in place. I would have to check if the optical part sits higher (i.e. closer to the eye) than the frame. If so it might not be feasible to use the plastic as it might scratch the eyepiece lens.

---------- Post added 21st Sep 2016 at 20:24 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
I stuffed Sugru around the black plastic OVF cover piece. It is now sealed shut for ever.
I rarely, if ever, use live view so that wouldn't work for me.

09-21-2016, 06:37 PM   #24
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
csa's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Montana mountains
Posts: 8,348
QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
So do I but the idea is to slip the plastic in front of the eyepiece but under the rubber edges so that they hold it in place. I would have to check if the optical part sits higher (i.e. closer to the eye) than the frame. If so it might not be feasible to use the plastic as it might scratch the eyepiece lens.

---------- Post added 21st Sep 2016 at 20:24 ----------


I rarely, if ever, use live view so that wouldn't work for me.

Yes, I wouldn't want to damage the eyepiece lens. I think for what little I would need the viewfinder, that I'll just drape something over it, when needed.
09-21-2016, 07:15 PM   #25
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Eastern Oregon
Posts: 614
QuoteOriginally posted by rcolman Quote
I seem to have misplaced the little flappy thing that fits over the viewfinder window, and blocks incoming light.

Anyone know where to get a replacement pretty quick, or a work around?

-- Rick.


I use my thumb. I usually always have it with me... You are on a tripod anyway, so you have 2 thumbs not doing anything. The light needs to be blocked, not completely eliminated. Also, if I notice that my thumb isn't changing the exposure at all, then I skip it all together. The whole point of the blocker is to make sure the exposure is accurate as light entering into the viewfinder can throw off the metering.
09-21-2016, 07:24 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,997
QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
When I bought my K-30 all the blurb and the contents list with the box said there should be an eyepiece cap included and I searched the box and packaging for ages and never found one. It was only after coming on here and posting a question that I discovered that they never shipped with the K-30 and I'm not sure what cameras after the K-30 included them. The K-50 I recently had sent to me (thanks again Adam/Pentax Forums) didn't have one in the box either. It would be interesting to know which current cameras include the eyepiece cap with the camera.
K-1 has it - K-01 doesn't.
09-21-2016, 07:27 PM   #27
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Prince George, BC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,271
In astrophotography, blocking the viewfinder has little to do with metering exposure. You pretty well know what your settings are going to be before you start out. It is to prevent stray light contamination during long bulb exposures.
09-21-2016, 08:33 PM   #28
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Eastern Oregon
Posts: 614
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
In astrophotography, blocking the viewfinder has little to do with metering exposure. You pretty well know what your settings are going to be before you start out. It is to prevent stray light contamination during long bulb exposures.


Does the viewfinder stray light actually make it to the sensor? I ask because I don't do that kind of photography and don't know.


The thumb works great for anything under 60 seconds.
09-21-2016, 09:08 PM   #29
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Prince George, BC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,271
Yes. It will leak in and produce a bright band across the bottom of the frame. It is worse at longer exposures, higher ISOs, or brighter ambient environments.
09-22-2016, 02:17 AM   #30
Veteran Member
MJKoski's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 761
It will leak and badly. Attach lens cap and take a long exposure at high ISO in daylight to see the pronounced effect.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
dslr, eyepiece, full frame, full-frame, k-1, k1, light, pentax k-1, plastic, viewfinder
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-1 Viewfinder Light Question monochrome Pentax K-1 2 06-08-2016 07:07 PM
Need an Ad blocker for Firefox. wildman General Talk 27 04-24-2015 12:01 PM
Need a viewfinder... LensBeginner Pentax K-01 8 02-13-2015 07:34 AM
Need new camera for better low light video... skid2964 Video and Pentax HDSLRs 41 12-03-2014 09:54 PM
Need a new viewfinder glass - where to look? aquashankar Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 3 12-18-2013 10:26 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:46 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top