Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2016, 09:29 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Need New Viewfinder Light Blocker

I seem to have misplaced the little flappy thing that fits over the viewfinder window, and blocks incoming light.

Anyone know where to get a replacement pretty quick, or a work around?

-- Rick.

09-21-2016, 09:36 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Duct/gaffer/masking/electrical tape?
Cardboard?
Paper?
Metal foil?

There's all sorts of things you can use to cover the eyepiece in an emergency. I assume this is for a time exposure application of some sort?
09-21-2016, 09:39 AM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

As Larry says, you can use almost anything that you have to hand - just try to cover the viewfinder as completely as possible with whatever you have
09-21-2016, 09:50 AM   #4

I recommend using a thin sheet of black plastic or cardboard. Make it rectangular with rounded edges, sized so that it can be slipped under the rubber lip of the eyepiece.
You won't find any cheaper solution.

Added advantage: You don't have to remove the eyepiece.

If you leave one elongated flap on the plastic thingmabob, you can punch a hole through it and affix a piece of string to fasten it somewhere.

09-21-2016, 09:57 AM   #5

If you want to get fancy, you could borrow one and make a 3D copy. (Or someone who has a 3D scanner could send you a 3D scan for you to 3D print.)
09-21-2016, 10:13 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

one of the things that Nikon pro cameras get right: they all have a built-in eyepiece shutter. Perfect for long exposures. Would love it if Pentax might one day implement such a feature, but I won't hold my breath.

M
09-21-2016, 10:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

That's a really good idea 'funktionsfrei'. I love to make things (or re-purpose things) that make my life easier (plus making the things can be fun too). I haven't needed an eyepiece cover in all my years of SLR photography as I don't shoot long exposures but I think I will have a go at making one just in case.

I do have a large washer (known as a fender washer in North America) with a small hole in the middle (1/4") that I filed a flat edge on and that is now my go to tool when attaching/removing quick release plates, fastening my camera to my focus rail, etc. It lives in my camera bag/case and being flat takes up virtually no space. I attached a piece of cord through the hole so that I can hang it on my tripod if need be.

09-21-2016, 10:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Yes. Indeed. That shutter piece or the lack of it is an ass-designed feature. It costs few pennies to implement and yet it is the most important function for long exposures.

One of OVF issues.
09-21-2016, 10:32 AM   #9

You can find them used for $0.99 at B&H. Shipping is another matter.

3 for $4.24 + $2.45 shipping on eBay.

Just Google "Pentax eyepiece blind"

A built-in blind is nice - provided there is room. If you want to sacrifice some of the trimness that Pentax bodies are loved for why not?
09-21-2016, 11:06 AM   #10

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
do you think this will fit a K-1 ??

Pentax Eyepiece Blind M
Pentax Eyepiece Blind M (Cover) for M, P & Program Series, A3000 & Autofocus ...
09-21-2016, 11:29 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rcolman Quote
do you think this will fit a K-1 ??

Pentax Eyepiece Blind M
Pentax Eyepiece Blind M (Cover) for M, P & Program Series, A3000 & Autofocus ...
Yes. It has been the exact same piece since the M class film bodies in the mid 70's.

Gaffer tape or electrician's tape are good enough though.
09-21-2016, 12:34 PM   #12
Banned

Bubble gum?
09-21-2016, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use a black stretchy tuque a.k.a. winter hat, wool hat. It is put in place over the viewfinder and back of the camera after initial setup checks have been done. That is why my cold season wardrobe includes two black tuques - one for my head and one for the camera.
09-21-2016, 01:21 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Yes. Indeed. That shutter piece or the lack of it is an ass-designed feature.
Lack of an eyepiece shutter/blind has been a weak spot of camera design ever since exposure automation debuted over 40 years ago. Cameras having such have never been common and it was good to see that Nikon has started offering the feature again on their higher-end models. FWIW, the one camera on my shelf that has the feature is an early 1980s vintage Ricoh XR-2s. Ricoh dropped the blind in favor a Pentax-style cap in about 1982.

Steve
09-21-2016, 01:30 PM   #15
UMC

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Lack of an eyepiece shutter/blind has been a weak spot of camera design...
I couldn't agree more...

I've seen many creative solutions in the past 40 years, the best obviously being the built in blind as my good old Praktica EE2 (my very first SLR in 1979) had it. Minolta at that time had a smart solution too: You could slide the camera strap through the rear part of the viewfinder cap, so that the cap got permanently attached to the neckholder strap. I waited almost 20 year for Pentax to come up with something like this and indeed, Pentax neckholder straps of the 90ies (e.g. for the Z-1P or the MZ-3) had a small pocket on the strap where the viewfinder cap could be stored.

I wonder why such simple and cheap solutions got dropped in the 21st century....