Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2016, 01:36 PM   #16
Veteran Member

When I bought my K-30 all the blurb and the contents list with the box said there should be an eyepiece cap included and I searched the box and packaging for ages and never found one. It was only after coming on here and posting a question that I discovered that they never shipped with the K-30 and I'm not sure what cameras after the K-30 included them. The K-50 I recently had sent to me (thanks again Adam/Pentax Forums) didn't have one in the box either. It would be interesting to know which current cameras include the eyepiece cap with the camera.

09-21-2016, 02:15 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UMC Quote
Minolta at that time had a smart solution too: You could slide the camera strap through the rear part of the viewfinder cap, so that the cap got permanently attached to the neckholder strap.
Yes, my Ricoh XR7 had a cap like that. It disappeared when I traded out the original strap for a denim hippie strap.

Steve
09-21-2016, 02:41 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Canon 1d-series have had extremely good blinder for ages. But they are still dumb enough to NOT offer such 2-penny feature in 5Ds or 5D4 bodies which cost $$$$...
09-21-2016, 02:48 PM   #19
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
It would be interesting to know which current cameras include the eyepiece cap with the camera.
My K3 came with one. I would however like to come up with something to be used with the eyecup in place, as I can see the possibility of misplacing the cup!

Last edited by csa; 09-21-2016 at 02:58 PM.
09-21-2016, 03:11 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
My K3 came with one. I would however like to come up with something to be used with the eyecup in place, as I can see the possibility of misplacing the cup!
See post #4 on page one.

I'm thinking of making one just in case I ever need it. We always have bits of black plastic around here from food packages from the grocery story (ready meals, cake/cookie containers, etc.) and it would only take a few minutes to cut one out and file it to size. I like the idea of leaving a bit extra on it too so that you can drill a hole and mount a cord which would make it easier to hang on the tripod when not in use or help you to find it again if you drop it.
09-21-2016, 03:20 PM   #21
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll have to experiment, I have the Magnifying eyecup on mine, so don't know if plastic will slip behind it or not.
09-21-2016, 05:04 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I stuffed Sugru around the black plastic OVF cover piece. It is now sealed shut for ever.

09-21-2016, 05:22 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I'll have to experiment, I have the Magnifying eyecup on mine, so don't know if plastic will slip behind it or not.
So do I but the idea is to slip the plastic in front of the eyepiece but under the rubber edges so that they hold it in place. I would have to check if the optical part sits higher (i.e. closer to the eye) than the frame. If so it might not be feasible to use the plastic as it might scratch the eyepiece lens.

---------- Post added 21st Sep 2016 at 20:24 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
I stuffed Sugru around the black plastic OVF cover piece. It is now sealed shut for ever.
I rarely, if ever, use live view so that wouldn't work for me.
09-21-2016, 06:37 PM   #24
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So do I but the idea is to slip the plastic in front of the eyepiece but under the rubber edges so that they hold it in place. I would have to check if the optical part sits higher (i.e. closer to the eye) than the frame. If so it might not be feasible to use the plastic as it might scratch the eyepiece lens.

---------- Post added 21st Sep 2016 at 20:24 ----------

I rarely, if ever, use live view so that wouldn't work for me.

Yes, I wouldn't want to damage the eyepiece lens. I think for what little I would need the viewfinder, that I'll just drape something over it, when needed.
09-21-2016, 07:15 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rcolman Quote
I seem to have misplaced the little flappy thing that fits over the viewfinder window, and blocks incoming light.

Anyone know where to get a replacement pretty quick, or a work around?

-- Rick.

I use my thumb. I usually always have it with me... You are on a tripod anyway, so you have 2 thumbs not doing anything. The light needs to be blocked, not completely eliminated. Also, if I notice that my thumb isn't changing the exposure at all, then I skip it all together. The whole point of the blocker is to make sure the exposure is accurate as light entering into the viewfinder can throw off the metering.
09-21-2016, 07:24 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I bought my K-30 all the blurb and the contents list with the box said there should be an eyepiece cap included and I searched the box and packaging for ages and never found one. It was only after coming on here and posting a question that I discovered that they never shipped with the K-30 and I'm not sure what cameras after the K-30 included them. The K-50 I recently had sent to me (thanks again Adam/Pentax Forums) didn't have one in the box either. It would be interesting to know which current cameras include the eyepiece cap with the camera.
K-1 has it - K-01 doesn't.
09-21-2016, 07:27 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In astrophotography, blocking the viewfinder has little to do with metering exposure. You pretty well know what your settings are going to be before you start out. It is to prevent stray light contamination during long bulb exposures.
09-21-2016, 08:33 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
In astrophotography, blocking the viewfinder has little to do with metering exposure. You pretty well know what your settings are going to be before you start out. It is to prevent stray light contamination during long bulb exposures.

Does the viewfinder stray light actually make it to the sensor? I ask because I don't do that kind of photography and don't know.

The thumb works great for anything under 60 seconds.
09-21-2016, 09:08 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes. It will leak in and produce a bright band across the bottom of the frame. It is worse at longer exposures, higher ISOs, or brighter ambient environments.
09-22-2016, 02:17 AM   #30
Veteran Member

It will leak and badly. Attach lens cap and take a long exposure at high ISO in daylight to see the pronounced effect.