Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
09-22-2016, 05:33 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
The Fuji will cost a bit less than $10k, the K-1 costs $1,800. I find it hard to believe that suddenly crowds of people will jump onto MF - how many people do you know who have enough money to purchase a Fuji GFX system and lenses?
Many serious full frame shooters that I know when totaling up what they've got into bodies, lenses, etc far exceed $10,000 . I shoot telephoto Nikkor lenses - heck, some of them cost $7,000 to over $12,000 each.

It's not only the money, but it's the form factor, with the Fuji being the size and weight of most full frames.

I suspect the new Fuji medium format camera is aiming to attract high end full frame shooters.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 09-22-2016 at 07:13 PM.
09-22-2016, 05:35 PM   #17

The Japanese data suggests the K-1 is doing fine so far especially on satisfaction ratings.

See Google Translate

In DSLR sales:
Canon EOS 5D Mark III is ranked 25, (satisfaction 4.75/5)
Nikon 810D is ranked 29 (satisfaction 4.77/5)
Pentax K-1 is ranked 30 (satisfaction 4.79)

However the more recent Canon EOS 5D Mark IV is doing especially well at #2 with a satisfaction rating of just 4.04

Last edited by johnhilvert; 09-22-2016 at 05:43 PM. Reason: addendum
09-22-2016, 05:45 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I hear Ricoh Japan is concerned about camera sales in the US; maybe that's behind closing Denver altogether.
???

09-22-2016, 06:03 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've looked 3-4 times since K-1 was released, and though few shops list it, no one has it in stock. I take it as no one has shown interest for it.

09-22-2016, 06:18 PM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
???

As I have beard 'on the street':
  1. Legitimate inside trusted source says Ricoh's USA goals aren't being met and Japan is concerned.
  2. After a series of departures, last April Jim Malcolm 'left' Ricoh Imaging.
  3. There was recently a flurry of posts on the Forum that Ricoh closed Denver, let most of the employees go and distributed the remaining employees to Ricoh B2B locations, mostly in New Jersey.

Last edited by monochrome; 09-22-2016 at 06:32 PM.
09-22-2016, 07:06 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by asahi67 Quote
Where are you in Western Canada? I live in Victoria BC and ordered mine plus the grip through MCBAIN camera in Edmonton last June. I saved PST and had the items in my hands in under 22 hours after clicking 'buy'
You will not regret the purchase.
Winnipeg. I have thought about ordering online from either McBain in Edmonton or The Camera Store in Calgary. Saving the PST is one reason...we (Manitoba) have 9 %...think Alberta still has none....I might be wrong about that though. I used to live in Edmonton, maybe a trip to that fair city is in order.

---------- Post added 09-22-16 at 09:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Without the latter, the former is pretty much out of the question. Another question would be is how important to K-1 sales is the brick and mortar camera store channel. Do potential K-1 customers make their camera buying decision based only on the cameras they try out or see at a photographic equipment store or do they research their purchase before going to a store?

Sales success is defined by what Ricoh expects or needs to justify the investment in producing it. Whether we feel it is successful or not is not relevant, because it won't affect Ricoh's decisions about the camera. If Ricoh is still producing the K-1 (either the current version or a related updated version) a year or two from now, then it is safe to assume Ricoh felt it was a success.
Given that you are in a neighbouring province, I'm wondering what the camera store situation and Pentax 'in stock deal', is in the city of Saskatoon ? Can you buy Pentax stuff from in stock at a store, or is it order in, either at a camera store...or do you use online ? I'm curious to see what the situation is in other Canadian cities.
09-22-2016, 07:38 PM   #22
Administrator
Site Webmaster

According to our Photokina interview, it's selling better than expected and they still can't meet demand in some markets. Safe it say that it's a pretty underrated camera still.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-22-2016, 08:02 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

1. Legitimate inside trusted source says Ricoh's USA goals aren't being met and Japan is concerned.
  3. There was recently a flurry of posts on the Forum that Ricoh closed Denver, let most of the employees go and distributed the remaining employees to Ricoh B2B locations, mostly in New Jersey.
I didn't realize any of that! I guess I have just been in a sleepy stupor. It looks like Jim Malcolm returned to his previous company.
09-22-2016, 08:12 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I was also not aware of any of these developments.

Certainly doesn't sound good...to my 'non expert in business' ears. I am interested in knowing what all this....ie..."Ricoh closed Denver, let most of the employees go and distributed the remaining employees to Ricoh B2B locations, mostly in New Jersey." ......means, insofar as the future of Pentax cameras in the American market.

Perhaps those with more expertise in business, the camera industry and Pentax in particular, can further enlighten me.

Please forgive my naivete, but also what does ' Ricoh B@B locations ' stand for ?

Thx in advance.

Last edited by lesmore49; 09-22-2016 at 08:17 PM.
09-22-2016, 08:27 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ricoh B2B is the office equipment division - business to business vs. business to consumer (B2C). Ricoh Imaging seems to be leasing office space from Ricoh Americas.

It's probably a good thing. Most of the rest of the industry has their US offices in New Jersey or New York.
09-22-2016, 08:43 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I'm wondering what the camera store situation and Pentax 'in stock deal', is in the city of Saskatoon
I've haven't been to the camera counter at Don's Photo here for a while, I'd have to look up when I last bought a lens there, but it think it was March or April. They stocked the 645Z here when it came out, and while their Pentax inventory isn't great, they always have a half dozen lenses and a couple of bodies on display. Phase Two Photo closed last year, which leaves Cheung Camera as the only other brick and mortar camera store in Saskatoon (London Drugs' inventory is kind of hit and miss, they have had Pentax bodies on display here, but no lenses). At least one of the Don's Photo employees shoots Pentax gear himself.

---------- Post added 09-22-16 at 10:07 PM ----------

Ricoh Imaging seems to be leasing office space from Ricoh Americas.
Is Ricoh Imaging U.S. a physical distributor for Pentax or just a sales and marketing office? As far as I know, Ricoh Imaging Canada only has a couple of sales reps and no other marketing staff, but they supply Henry's, Don's, McBain's, The Camera Store, etc. with Pentax products. I'm thinking that if Ricoh is using third party wholesalers to distribute Pentax products in the U.S., closing the Denver office would be more understandable, but a third party distributor is never going to grow market share for the manufacturer like a corporate sales office can.
09-22-2016, 09:48 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is Ricoh Imaging U.S. a physical distributor for Pentax or just a sales and marketing office? As far as I know, Ricoh Imaging Canada only has a couple of sales reps and no other marketing staff, but they supply Henry's, Don's, McBain's, The Camera Store, etc. with Pentax products. I'm thinking that if Ricoh is using third party wholesalers to distribute Pentax products in the U.S., closing the Denver office would be more understandable, but a third party distributor is never going to grow market share for the manufacturer like a corporate sales office can.
Ricoh Imaging Americas Corp. is a Division of Ricoh Imaging Company, Ltd. As such, it is the Distributor for North and South America, including the USA and Canada. It is not a third-party wholesaler like C. R. Kennedy in Austraia - Ricoh Imaging Company (Japan) owns RIAC (Americas).

Apparently USA and Canada are marketing regions, overseen by RIAC. It is unclear whether RIAC maintains inventory of product for resale to Dealers or just gathers orders and has them shipped from Japan. It has appeared to me for many years that most of the Distributor functions had been outsourced to contractors.
09-22-2016, 10:01 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is unclear whether RIAC maintains inventory of product for resale to Dealers or just gathers orders and has them shipped from Japan.
When I purchased items from Don's or The Camera Store that they had to bring in, there were Ricoh Imaging Canada stickers on the packaging, I would be surprised if they were put on in Japan. Not saying it's impossible, and it could be that Ricoh has contracted with a third party to handle the logistics, but at least it appears to be a dedicated distribution channel.
09-22-2016, 10:02 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I hear Ricoh Japan is concerned about camera sales in the US; maybe that's behind closing Denver altogether.
I've never been to Denver, but all I know is it was the last of the dinosaurs :-) :-)
09-22-2016, 10:13 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I purchased items from Don's or The Camera Store that they had to bring in, there were Ricoh Imaging Canada stickers on the packaging, I would be surprised if they were put on in Japan. Not saying it's impossible, and it could be that Ricoh has contracted with a third party to handle the logistics, but at least it appears to be a dedicated distribution channel.
Let's be clear - I'm not an insider and I don't actually personally know anything, but I talk to people who are / were employees and people who do know.

Canada is not the USA. I've never purchased anything - retail store or internet - that had a 'Ricoh Imaging US' sticker on it. I think until very recently Canada was fairly independent. Canada maintained its own service department until quite recently, but Normhead says they are closed now. There was a recent post from a Canadian member whose dealer had to send a camera to Precision for warranty repair.

The FA77 Limited I bought from B&H in 2014 had a Pentax Ricoh Imaging Corp. sticker over the Pentax Division of Hoya Corp. printed UPC code, though.