Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
01-10-2017, 11:24 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe if they did the others, they wouldn't have the pricing.

Think of the service and support Pentax could provide if they charged for a K-1 what Nikon does for a D810.

I'm just hoping my K-1 lasts 10 years....
The problem with making something like these cameras is, you don't have to replace them. My wife is still shooting my original K-5 which she commandeered pretty quickly after I bought it. And I still know people using their original D800s.. although my friend Brian's broke, and I haven't heard if he had it fixed.

Last edited by normhead; 01-11-2017 at 02:35 PM.
01-10-2017, 12:19 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DrBop Quote
the company is retracting its US operations..
IS Ricoh/Pentax retracting US operations?

I'd been reading and hearing things that seemed to say they were reorganizing, but in the direction of becoming more of a presence.

The other thought I've had reading through this thread again is that there are no guarantees in life. A dear friend of mine, world traveler, co-worker, fine photographer, was just discussing her anniversary dinner and ideas about retiring. A couple months later, she was dead of a very aggressive cancer that took experts, friends and family by complete surprise. Never drew a penny of pension, 401(k), or Social Security.

People want a guarantee that a camera will be supported by a corporation in 10 years. I'd like a guarantee that I'll be capable walking outdoors in 10 years. Or even breathing. That would be nice. Is there really any corporation in the world which provides total confidence in their direction and future?

Meanwhile, my K200D still works fine at 9 years old. So does my K3ii, a nearly two-year old model. Isn't the K-1 a big sales success? It sure seems to be from whatever data is available.
01-10-2017, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #48
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by John-TO Quote
It's great to say that the K-1 is doing this or that but does anyone really know?
None of the camera manufacturers reveal their model sales, John. Anyone who says this Fuji is tearing it up or this Panasonic is on fire has no stats.

What matters is what *you* will buy next - your money, your choice - will you 'run with the herd'?
01-10-2017, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
The other thought I've had reading through this thread again is that there are no guarantees in life. A dear friend of mine, world traveler, co-worker, fine photographer, was just discussing her anniversary dinner and ideas about retiring. A couple months later, she was dead of a very aggressive cancer that took experts, friends and family by complete surprise. Never drew a penny of pension, 401(k), or Social Security.
Same happened to my partner in crime in my photography department. He did the grade 10 film course, I taught the 11 and 12 digital and media course.
He closed his studio realizing he was never going to earn enough for a pension, worked 15 years so he'd have at least minimal income when he retired, then dies at his desk. You just don't know.

Last edited by normhead; 01-11-2017 at 02:36 PM.
01-10-2017, 03:51 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In the folder for my wife and children I have a spreadsheet listing all my gear, what I think each item worth and how to dispose of them.

Then there is the financial statement, life insurance policies, retirement plan instructions, website passwords, boss's Cell Phone number and the verses I would like read at my service.

If I go tomorrow she knows my priorities.
01-10-2017, 04:02 PM   #51
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
In the folder for my wife and children I have a spreadsheet listing all my gear, what I think each item worth and how to dispose of them.

Then there is the financial statement, life insurance policies, retirement plan instructions, website passwords, boss's Cell Phone number and the verses I would like read at my service.

If I go tomorrow she knows my priorities.
Nicely done ... makes things a lot easier for everyone.

01-10-2017, 04:14 PM - 4 Likes   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Please don't let my wife sell my gear for what I told her I paid.

01-10-2017, 04:21 PM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
please don't let my wife sell my gear for what i told her i paid.
ha ha ha ha!
01-10-2017, 04:57 PM   #54
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by John-TO Quote
It's great to say that the K-1 is doing this or that but does anyone really know?

If I am going to invest CA$10,000 in a new Pentax system—camera body, the compulsory triad of lenses plus macro, flash, etc.—I'd really, I mean REALLY, like to know that the K-1 has done well enough to get Tamron and Sigma to start making lenses for it and Ricoh to continue to invest in it. Does anyone really know or is this all just speculation?

Polaris has announced that they are discontinuing their VICTORY line of motorcycles. How would you feel if you were excited about the $15,000 investment you just made in your new Victory Motorcycle just to find out that, oops, your bike, heck the whole brand, is being discontinued. A complete camera system costs almost as much, at least in Canadian pseudo-dollars. And, if it's discontinued the resale will be zilch! I don't know about you but if I am going to invest that much in a new Pentax system I want to ride into the future with full confidence that it will not only be there but it will be supported by Ricoh and third party manufactures with the offering of new flash and lens choices. I love Pentax, but at this point in time I am far from having that kind of confidence.
Quite true, both about Pentax and your thoughts on what just happened with Victory motorcycles.

I was thinking the same thing when I heard that Polaris is ending the Victory line. My son bought a new motorcycle in August, 2016. I like the Victory, but I'm glad he bought a new BMW GS.
01-10-2017, 08:24 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Please don't let my wife sell my gear for what I told her I paid.
With any luck, she'll wait until you're cold before selling your gear, at which time it will only be her loss! Think of it as paying her back from beyond the grave.
01-11-2017, 12:38 PM - 4 Likes   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
With any luck, she'll wait until you're cold before selling your gear, at which time it will only be her loss! Think of it as paying her back from beyond the grave.
If you decide to go with this suggestion, please make sure I'm sent a death notice.

What would be a respectful amount of time before turning up at the house and asking for the return of a few lenses you borrowed from me?
01-11-2017, 04:32 PM   #57

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
I myself am in Canada, (Ontario) and when I was ready, neither Henrys or Vistek carry any Pentax stock, and said special order. Minimum 2 weeks. I called up "The Camera Store" in Alberta and they had 1 left, but it was on hold. The person ended up not committing, so they shipped it out to me the next day. When I was talking with them (it was a Monday), they said the previous Friday, they had 3 in stock. When I called on Monday, other then the one on hold, the others had all sold over the weekend, so it seems to be wanted by the people. The fact that a lot of camera stores are no longer carrying Pentax is discouraging.
Don,t be discouraged i think it is your demographic, I am from Hamilton Ontario and there are several Pentax dealers in the area, I know of two in Hamilton and one in Burlington. Bought mine at Burlington camera early last year they had a few in stock, they did sell quickly and more had to be ordered. They are so popular that there is a price increase at the moment.
01-11-2017, 07:56 PM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxbuff Quote
Don,t be discouraged i think it is your demographic, I am from Hamilton Ontario and there are several Pentax dealers in the area, I know of two in Hamilton and one in Burlington. Bought mine at Burlington camera early last year they had a few in stock, they did sell quickly and more had to be ordered. They are so popular that there is a price increase at the moment.
Frederick's of St. Catherine brought in 5 K-1s, the same number as Henry's St. Catherine's. They both told me they could have easily sold more. Most were bought by the first person who looked at them. My daughter lives in Burlington, I'll have to stop in. Although Guelph line is a long way from my daughter's.
01-12-2017, 02:57 AM - 2 Likes   #59
Veteran Member

I have a spreadsheet listing all my gear, what I think each item worth and how to dispose of them
You must update that almost daily.....
01-12-2017, 04:44 AM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
You must update that almost daily.....

Coincidence? I thought that earlier today (I need to apply the KonMari Method to my gear chest).