Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2016, 01:38 PM   #1
Pentaxian

How well is the K-1 doing (selling) in North America and the world ?

How well is the K-1 doing (selling) in North America and the world ? I'm curious, given the fact that there isn't much of a Pentax presence at the camera shops around here.

To this date, I have seen, handled, tried one K-1 and only one K-1 at one dealer in my mid sized city. No one else seems to have it in stock. Camera store staff ...the ones I've talked to...regard it highly, but yes they have no K-1's...or usually anything Pentax stuff in stock..

I'm planning to get one, probably in the spring of 2017. If I do buy one, I have a feeling I may have to get it online.

09-22-2016, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #2
Forum Member

It's fair to say, Pentax has not made a big in road in the current full frame market. It's too bad the K1 came out this year, instead of mid 2015. But the bigger issue is the flange focal distance issue. As Nikon, and Canon glass can't be adapted to the K mount, lots of photographers have just passed. Where as the Sony A7 series is much easier to justify.

Me, the benefits were worth it and I am slowing moving all of my Nikon gear except a view lenses and a D810.

IMO it help Pentax a lot if they could get Adobe to improve on their current pixel shift conversion and or get Phase One to add it to their Capture One software (only standard K1 raw are supported)

The current software that supports pixel shift, besides LR, is pretty limited in feature function and none of them offer the cataloging features of C1 or LR, or the tools sets which I use a lot.

Silkypix developer Studio Pro does an OK job, but it's workflow is a bit odd to me and their masking needs improvement (in the way you draw or create a mask). But Developer Studio pro gets an excellent pixel shift conversion.

Paul C
09-22-2016, 02:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
they have no K-1's...or usually anything Pentax stuff in stock.
Without the latter, the former is pretty much out of the question. Another question would be is how important to K-1 sales is the brick and mortar camera store channel. Do potential K-1 customers make their camera buying decision based only on the cameras they try out or see at a photographic equipment store or do they research their purchase before going to a store?

Sales success is defined by what Ricoh expects or needs to justify the investment in producing it. Whether we feel it is successful or not is not relevant, because it won't affect Ricoh's decisions about the camera. If Ricoh is still producing the K-1 (either the current version or a related updated version) a year or two from now, then it is safe to assume Ricoh felt it was a success.
09-22-2016, 02:12 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul2660 Quote
But the bigger issue is the flange focal distance issue. As Nikon, and Canon glass can't be adapted to the K mount, lots of photographers have just passed.
Yep, I guess Canon users have the same issue to mount canon lenses on Nikon bodies or? That's why the D810 hasn't swallowed Canon 5D series market share.

---------- Post added 22-09-16 at 23:16 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Sales success is defined by what Ricoh expects or needs to justify the investment in producing it. Whether we feel it is successful or not is not relevant, because it won't affect Ricoh's decisions about the camera. If Ricoh is still producing the K-1 (either the current version or a related updated version) a year or two from now, then it is safe to assume Ricoh felt it was a success.
Well, in relative to Pentax terms, I'd say that the K1 is the highest selling full frame DSLR. I evaluate that the K1 sells as well as the K3, so lets be pessimistic and say K1 sales Qtty = 50% of K3 Qtty. There is no way D810 sell as much as D7200 and there is no way 5DIII sells as much as the 7D series.

09-22-2016, 02:18 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

From what I've seen it's done well. I talked to a few dealers after the release and they both wished they'd ordered more. Both had sold 5-10 camera and were waiting their next shipment. If you sell 10-20 cameras someplace like St. Catherines , Ontario, you're doing really well.
09-22-2016, 02:45 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There was a discussion on another thread about how many were sold in the USA. I think the result people came up with was about 7,000-8,000, if my memory serves correctly. That's quite a few, but this is a big country. There were 16 in stock at Amazon this morning when I looked at it, but I'll likely buy mine, eventually, from B&H or Adorama.
09-22-2016, 03:33 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought my K-1 over the counter May 6th as a walk-in. The Dealer had it and 10 more in stock. They sold those out in two weeks in their 7 stores. They had 14 pre-orders.

AFAIK K-1 has resumed full production after the earthquakes, and production through December is sold to dealers. I don't think we really know how many have been sold in the USA, but I believe 7,000+ is high - well north of 10% of assumed production YTD (@ 7,000 units/month planned, not accounting for sensor supply problems caused by the earthquakes).

I hear Ricoh Japan is concerned about camera sales in the US; maybe that's behind closing Denver altogether.

09-22-2016, 03:41 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I've owned many cameras over the years (Sigma, Nikon, Canon, Fuji, Hassy, Bronica, Sony, etc.). The K1 is by far the best camera I have ever owned! I truly hope it does well enough to justify Ricoh continuing to develop full frame glass for it and updated K1 models in the future.

I wish some of the famous Internet photo bloggers/testers and YouTube photo channels would adopt and publish more on the K1. Most have just done a brief review, said it's nice, and then moved on. Most have little or no experience using the K1's special features such as pixel shift, astrotracer, etc.

My fear is that the new Fuji GFX mirrorless medium format camera announced earlier this week (coming out in 2017) will cut into future full frame sales for all camera manufacturers. The K1 doesn't need that!

Heck, the Fuji GXS is no bigger than a K1, has a 50MP sensor, and knowing Fuji, they're going to put lots of their wonderful X-T1 / X-T2 features into this new camera.

I think what we need to see to help the K1 establish a strong foothold is for Pentax and a couple of the premium lenses makers (e.g. Zeiss, Sigma, Tamron) come out with some great new glass in the K mount.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 09-22-2016 at 05:36 PM.
09-22-2016, 04:31 PM   #9

Location: Rainforest of Canada Vancouver Island and the sagebrush of southern Okanagan, BC
Pentax K1

Where are you in Western Canada? I live in Victoria BC and ordered mine plus the grip through MCBAIN camera in Edmonton last June. I saved PST and had the items in my hands in under 22 hours after clicking 'buy'
You will not regret the purchase.
09-22-2016, 04:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
My fear is that the new Fuji GFX mirrorless medium format camera announced earlier this week (coming out in 2017) will cut into future full frame sales for all camera manufacturers. The K1 doesn't need that! Heck, if I wasn't so invested in the Pentax K1 and glass for it, I'd be taking a real close look at the Fuji GFX.
The Fuji will cost a bit less than $10k, the K-1 costs $1,800. I find it hard to believe that suddenly crowds of people will jump onto MF - how many people do you know who have enough money to purchase a Fuji GFX system and lenses?
09-22-2016, 04:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

By what little I have seen the K-1 is selling very well. Its getting mostly positive press from all of the reviews and the IQ is simply excellent in RAW. They need to update glass ASAP. I don't remember seeing a K-mount camera sell this well or receive as many positive reviews.
09-22-2016, 04:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Judging by the price trend after initial introduction which typically is trending down as in all the previous APS-C models (k-5/II and k-3/II)... I think the k-1 appears to be selling quite well compares to previous Pentax DSLRs. If the production of k-1 is keeping up with the demand, it will be quite a successful product release from Pentax for a long time.
09-22-2016, 04:58 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
How well is the K-1 doing (selling) in North America and the world ? I'm curious, given the fact that there isn't much of a Pentax presence at the camera shops around here.

To this date, I have seen, handled, tried one K-1 and only one K-1 at one dealer in my mid sized city. No one else seems to have it in stock. Camera store staff ...the ones I've talked to...regard it highly, but yes they have no K-1's...or usually anything Pentax stuff in stock..

I'm planning to get one, probably in the spring of 2017. If I do buy one, I have a feeling I may have to get it online.
I myself am in Canada, (Ontario) and when I was ready, neither Henrys or Vistek carry any Pentax stock, and said special order. Minimum 2 weeks. I called up "The Camera Store" in Alberta and they had 1 left, but it was on hold. The person ended up not committing, so they shipped it out to me the next day. When I was talking with them (it was a Monday), they said the previous Friday, they had 3 in stock. When I called on Monday, other then the one on hold, the others had all sold over the weekend, so it seems to be wanted by the people. The fact that a lot of camera stores are no longer carrying Pentax is discouraging.
09-22-2016, 05:06 PM   #14
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
My fear is that the new Fuji GFX mirrorless medium format camera announced earlier this week (coming out in 2017) will cut into future full frame sales for all camera manufacturers. The K1 doesn't need that! Heck, if I wasn't so invested in the Pentax K1 and glass for it, I'd be taking a real close look at the Fuji GFX.

Heck, the Fuji GXS is no bigger than a K1, has a 50MP sensor, and knowing Fuji, they're going to put lots of their wonderful X-T1 / X-T2 features into this new camera.
They are also talking sub 10k dollar price.. so closer to 645Z territory than K-1.

for the price of a single 645Z body one can buy a K-1, 15-30, 24-70, and the 70-200 -- different zip code!
09-22-2016, 05:28 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Without the latter, the former is pretty much out of the question. Another question would be is how important to K-1 sales is the brick and mortar camera store channel. Do potential K-1 customers make their camera buying decision based only on the cameras they try out or see at a photographic equipment store or do they research their purchase before going to a store?

The camera "brick and mortar stores" around here seem to push a Sony of some kind towards newbies, then you have your Canon people and Nikon people. Don't remember the last time I saw anything seriously Pentax for sale in any of them. My K1 came from B&H, and I could not be happier with it.