Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 34 Likes Search this Thread
12-12-2016, 08:24 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes, focus can be a little tricky sometimes but when you nail it magic is made. Count me in as a fan of that combo as well.

12-28-2016, 05:27 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have always loved 77mm on APS-C bodies, but on K-1, I was I blown away by how easy it seemed to capture beautiful pictures. In fact, I chose it as my first lens to try on my new K-1. I'd say nothing less than magic.
12-29-2016, 11:10 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaman Quote
on K-1, I was I blown away by how easy it seemed to capture beautiful pictures. In fact, I chose it as my first lens to try on my new K-1. I'd say nothing less than magic.
Definitely. And it also is so beautifully inconspicious.

No comparison to the clunky and in-your-face 85mm primes you can get in mainstreamland.
03-02-2018, 05:45 PM   #19

Hi all,

I'm currently using the 77mm on my K3-ii and absolutely love it! I'm considering upgrading to the K-1 and I have been wondering if the actual focal length would change due to the FF sensor compared to the APSC sensor? If so would the lens work as a wider lens on the K1? and if so what would the resulting focal length be? I currently use the lens for half body portraits and I'd like to gauge an idea of how much wider this lens would feel, i.e if I stood at the same spot, would this lens still be a half body portrait lens or would it become say 3/4th body portraits?

03-02-2018, 06:03 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I love 77 and K-1 combo as well. However, having owned FA77 for about 10 years, I am for the first time finding "purple fringing" on many of my pictures. They are easy to get rid of in LightRoom, but still an annoyance. Anyone else have this issue?

FYI, the lens did great on K-7 and K-5 as well, and not a single instance of purple fringing.
03-02-2018, 06:34 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigBangPhotography Quote
Hi all,

I'm currently using the 77mm on my K3-ii and absolutely love it! I'm considering upgrading to the K-1 and I have been wondering if the actual focal length would change due to the FF sensor compared to the APSC sensor? If so would the lens work as a wider lens on the K1? and if so what would the resulting focal length be? I currently use the lens for half body portraits and I'd like to gauge an idea of how much wider this lens would feel, i.e if I stood at the same spot, would this lens still be a half body portrait lens or would it become say 3/4th body portraits?
A 77mm lens is a 77mm lens. On an APSc sensor your 77mm lens has a FoV pretty close to what a 105mm lens would on a FF, if that is what you are asking.

The Lens Review has Field of View data for the FA77 on both APSc and FF.
03-02-2018, 06:40 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Hi all,

A 77mm lens has a focal length of 77mm whether it's mounted to a Q, an APS-C, or FF camera. The only thing that changes focal length would be a teleconverter. The angle of view would be wider on the K-1 compared to the K-3 ii.

A lens projects an image circle onto the sensor. Depending on the sensor size, the image has a wider or narrower field of view. The image from Google below shows an example of this in Nikon's FX (FF) and DX (APS-C) sensor sizes. The subject is the same size in both because focal length doesn't change.

You may read about a DA lens vignetting on the K-1. That's because the image circle projected onto the sensor isn't big enough, so corners are black. This is typically why FF lenses are slightly larger and heavier than APS-C lenses. Here's another example from Google:

03-02-2018, 10:17 PM - 12 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

I prefer the bokeh on the 85 1.4 but I occasionally slap the 77 on my K-1

03-06-2018, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

If so would the lens work as a wider lens on the K1?
Yes, the 77/1.8 on a K-1 looks like a 51mm looks like on APS-C.

So if you like the look of a 50mm on an APS-C camera, you'll like the look of the 77/1.8.

The classic portrait focal length is 85mm (on FF) but the Pentax engineers deliberately went for less perspective flattening; a move that I wholeheartedly support.
03-07-2018, 04:17 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi all,

What the others said is right. Basically, your K3 II crops out the edges of the image circle that the FA 77 can see. Shooting it on a full frame camera opens those edges up. If you mount a 50mm lens on your K3 II that is roughly the angle of view that you will see with the FA 77 on a K-1.
06-21-2018, 08:15 AM   #26

I currently use the lens for half body portraits and I'd like to gauge an idea of how much wider this lens would feel, i.e if I stood at the same spot, would this lens still be a half body portrait lens or would it become say 3/4th body portraits?
I've quickly shot same scine with FA 77/1.8 on K-1 an K-20D. Just to give you some idea, it isn't very precise way to compare.

K-1 77/1.8 - Album on Imgur
07-05-2018, 09:51 AM   #27
Pentaxian

The results you can get with 77mm on K1 are great. And somehow I am OK with the fact that Penatx is not able to deliver a fast 85, so I can capitalize on my 77 a little longer.

That does not mean the lens is pefect. AF performance of the lens is horrible - try AF tracking mode and make it whine. I also assume that 19 years after release an update would not harm at all. Should we mention weather resistence, electronic diaphragm...
07-05-2018, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
The results you can get with 77mm on K1 are great. And somehow I am OK with the fact that Penatx is not able to deliver a fast 85, so I can capitalize on my 77 a little longer.

That does not mean the lens is pefect. AF performance of the lens is horrible - try AF tracking mode and make it whine. I also assume that 19 years after release an update would not harm at all. Should we mention weather resistence, electronic diaphragm...
Just a reminder that Pentax already delivered a very fine fast 85 the FA*85 1.4. Check out the Lens Club. See what LeRolls does with it.
07-05-2018, 11:18 AM - 2 Likes   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I love the 77mm with the K1 (and totally agree with the comments on the FA* 85 1.4)