Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2016, 07:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Problem Doing 1.30 Upgrade

I carefully followed steps 1 - 5 in the instructions but cannot get past the next step, "Turn the camera power on while pressing the MENU button." No firmware prompt appears as it should, as stated in the next step of the instructions, instead the usual screen appears. I've repeated the whole process twice, including reformatting the 32 GB card each time, and got the same result each time.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I plan to call Ricoh tomorrow if the problem hasn't been resolved by then.

10-02-2016, 07:54 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1. Ensure your .bin file is copied to the root directory of the SD card (NOT inside the DCIM folder
2. If there is a -2 extension on the end of your .bin file you have an old FW Update in your extracting destination Folder. Delete everything from the Folder, extract the .bin file again (to the empty Folder) and the new file should not have the -2 extension. Proceed as before and it should all work perfectly.
10-02-2016, 09:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
1. Ensure your .bin file is copied to the root directory of the SD card (NOT inside the DCIM folder
2. If there is a -2 extension on the end of your .bin file you have an old FW Update in your extracting destination Folder. Delete everything from the Folder, extract the .bin file again (to the empty Folder) and the new file should not have the -2 extension. Proceed as before and it should all work perfectly.
Thanks for the response.

The bin file is: fwdc228b with no -2. It is not inside the DCIM folder. I'm not very computer knowledgeable and don't understand why the DCIM folder is even there after the card was formatted. I deleted it and it vanished, but upon reopening it was back but the bin file is definitely not inside it.

Thanks again.
10-02-2016, 09:23 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Make sure the card with the firmware is in slot 1, not 2.

10-02-2016, 12:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Make sure the card with the firmware is in slot 1, not 2.
It is in slot 1. One reason this is so aggravating is the effort I made to do it exactly according to the directions - printed them out and followed them step by step and still must have done something wrong. Meanwhile my GPS is refusing to update also. For an old timer this digital world sure is complicated!

Thanks for the response.
10-02-2016, 01:12 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's the generic troubleshooting list that almost always covers what's wrong:
  • Ensure you downloaded the correct firmware file for your camera (a K-3 II update will not work in a Pentax K-3, for example)
  • Ensure that you extracted the .BIN file out of the ZIP (the .BIN file is the only thing that the camera wants)
  • Check that the .BIN file is in the top level (root directory) of the SD card, outside of the DCIM folder
  • Delete old update files prior to copying a new update over to your card
  • Ensure that the .BIN file has not been renamed and that extension is unchanged (operating systems can do one or both if there are naming conflicts)
  • Check that your battery is fully charged
  • If your camera has two SD slots, the card with the update must be placed in SD1
Sounds like the battery clause might apply in your case.

Also, every time you start the camera, it'll create the DCIM folder if it's not already there. Whether or not the card is formatted prior to the update shouldn't matter.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-02-2016, 01:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Cameras from other manufacturers will make DCIM folders. It is just a folder that contains subfolders used to group images by whatever method the camera uses (often the subfolders are sorted by date but not always). If you use the SD card for other stuff, it is nice to know all camera files are in one place. Guessing, I figure DCIM stands for Digital Camera Image ..Magic? Not sure about the last word but wikipedia likely knows!

10-02-2016, 02:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Here's the generic troubleshooting list that almost always covers what's wrong:
  • Ensure you downloaded the correct firmware file for your camera (a K-3 II update will not work in a Pentax K-3, for example)
  • Ensure that you extracted the .BIN file out of the ZIP (the .BIN file is the only thing that the camera wants)
  • Check that the .BIN file is in the top level (root directory) of the SD card, outside of the DCIM folder
  • Delete old update files prior to copying a new update over to your card
  • Ensure that the .BIN file has not been renamed and that extension is unchanged (operating systems can do one or both if there are naming conflicts)
  • Check that your battery is fully charged
  • If your camera has two SD slots, the card with the update must be placed in SD1
Sounds like the battery clause might apply in your case.

Also, every time you start the camera, it'll create the DCIM folder if it's not already there. Whether or not the card is formatted prior to the update shouldn't matter.
I don't think it's any of those - I also printed out those trouble shooting tips along with the instructions. When I saw the "In nearly all cases your issue is covered by one of these" I immediately thought "We'll see about that. With my luck that's doubtful." Murphy's law has never been more valid then when I'm trying to do something like this on a computer.

No, it's not the battery. I recharged it fully before each attempt.

Sounds like I'll be talking to Ricoh tomorrow, my first such contact. I've heard unflattering things about their support; I hope it goes well.

Thanks for trying to help. I appreciate all of you taking the time to try to help.
10-02-2016, 02:44 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery
It sounds like you've already checked this, but to be doubly sure, the file you download from Ricoh should be called k1_v130.zip which you need to unzip. The file that goes onto the root directory of the SD card is fwdc228b.bin and it needs to be put into card slot 1 on the K1.
10-02-2016, 02:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wanderer2 Quote
cannot get past the next step, "Turn the camera power on while pressing the MENU button." No firmware prompt appears as it should, as stated in the next step of the instructions, instead the usual screen appears.
It still seems that you haven't managed to copy the firmware update file fwdc228b.bin onto your SD card.

When you look at your SD card using your computer, what do you see?

You should see something like this:

10-02-2016, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I finally Got It!!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by YankeeDan Quote
It sounds like you've already checked this, but to be doubly sure, the file you download from Ricoh should be called k1_v130.zip which you need to unzip. The file that goes onto the root directory of the SD card is fwdc228b.bin and it needs to be put into card slot 1 on the K1.
I think the problem was that although I thought k1-v130.zip was being unzipped apparently it wasn't even though the file that went to the SD card was titled fwdc228b.bin. The problem for me was that I could not find and unzip command, that being the language used in the instructions. When I tried the extract command on k1-v130.zip everything proceeded normally and the update is finished.

Thanks once again to all of you for helping. Sorry my lack of computer knowledge caused all of you to use your valuable time to help. I really appreciate it. This is a great forum.
10-02-2016, 04:00 PM   #12

I think the problem was that although I thought k1-v130.zip was being unzipped apparently it wasn't even though the file that went to the SD card was titled fwdc228b.bin. The problem for me was that I could not find and unzip command, that being the language used in the instructions. When I tried the extract command on k1-v130.zip everything proceeded normally and the update is finished.

Thanks once again to all of you for helping. Sorry my lack of computer knowledge caused all of you to use your valuable time to help. I really appreciate it. This is a great forum.
In this case (in Ricoh speak), Unzip and Extract are the same thing - the words are used interchangeably. Glad you had success.
10-05-2016, 03:03 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I think both terms, 'extract' and 'unzip', may be confusing to people who haven't worked with compressed files years ago when a separate operation, unzipping, performed with stand-alone software was required.

Now, the easiest thing to do is use the file browser / windows explorer / mac finder to view the ZIP file. I am not sure about finder but windows explorer will allow the user to simply look inside the ZIP with no unzipping necessary.. Browse to the ZIP, k1_v130, click on it as you would any other folder for which you would like to view contents, copy the .bin file out of there and paste to the SD card. Paste the .bin to the SD card after clicking on SD card drive letter (named 'K1' if you formatted it in the camera). As mentioned, the .bin doesn't belong in subfolders like DCIM; the camera is lazy and will not hunt for the .bin.

For the purposes of this firmware upgrade, the ZIP can be dealt with in the way the user is accustomed to viewing folders; the operation is transparent. When the user is instructed to commit an extraction, they may wonder what extra step is required that they are missing...

I post this comment in case it helps other users reading this thread, SD card in hand.
10-05-2016, 05:45 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote
I think both terms, 'extract' and 'unzip', may be confusing to people who haven't worked with compressed files years ago when a separate operation, unzipping, performed with stand-alone software was required.
Now, the easiest thing to do is use the file browser / windows explorer / mac finder to view the ZIP file. I am not sure about finder but windows explorer will allow the user to simply look inside the ZIP with no unzipping necessary.. Browse to the ZIP, k1_v130, click on it as you would any other folder for which you would like to view contents, copy the .bin file out of there and paste to the SD card. Paste the .bin to the SD card after clicking on SD card drive letter (named 'K1' if you formatted it in the camera). As mentioned, the .bin doesn't belong in subfolders like DCIM; the camera is lazy and will not hunt for the .bin.

For the purposes of this firmware upgrade, the ZIP can be dealt with in the way the user is accustomed to viewing folders; the operation is transparent. When the user is instructed to commit an extraction, they may wonder what extra step is required that they are missing...

I post this comment in case it helps other users reading this thread, SD card in hand.
Much of this is beyond my feeble understanding. However, it does appear to me that the process you describe in the second and third paragraphs is what I was doing that would not work. I could not do the the upgrade until I used the extract command and, contrary to what you stated above, unzipping was necessary. Or, I'm completely off-base due to my limitations? Could someone please clarify?
10-05-2016, 02:47 PM   #15

Much of this is beyond my feeble understanding. However, it does appear to me that the process you describe in the second and third paragraphs is what I was doing that would not work. I could not do the the upgrade until I used the extract command and, contrary to what you stated above, unzipping was necessary. Or, I'm completely off-base due to my limitations? Could someone please clarify?
Tan68 is correct although it is easier to simply follow Pentax instructions. "Ensure that you extracted the .BIN file out of the ZIP (the .BIN file is the only thing that the camera wants)."

To extract (Unzip) a file, you normally just double click (or maybe right click) on the zip file and it will automatically "unpack". (It depends on your computer, but the basic process is very straight forward.) Then grab the resulting .bin file and copy it to your SD card.