Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2016, 05:00 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,146
K-1 in Practical Photography Magazine

I hadn't bought a magazine in a while so when I realised the K-1 was making an appearance in the August edition of Practical Photography Mag (out of the UK) I thought I'd pick up a copy.

There's not too much to the article in question, it's titled: "6 of the Best - Super High Resolution Cameras"

The last paragraph in the introduction states: "Here we take a look at six of the most affordable high resolution cameras currently available, so you can find your perfect match." The qualifying statement means this is not a medium format article.

The six in question as rated by the mag are:

6th (3 stars) Olympus OM-D E-M5 MkII
5th (3 stars) Pentax 645Z
4th (4 stars) Nikon D810
3rd (4 stars) Canon 5DS & 5DS R
2nd (4 stars) Sony A7R II
1st (5 stars) Pentax K-1

Something for everyone it seems?

A very subjective list and no real explanation in the article just some spec info, lists of pros and cons and the star rating system. I get the feeling they've not actually shot with all of the cameras listed as to me this is the only explanation for the 645Z being 5th in a 'high resolution camera' article.

Some interesting points I noticed in this article: the image of the K-1 shows the 18-135mm lens, it's about high resolution but there's mention of the crop modes for the D810, 5D's and the K-1 yet there's not a mention of pixel shift.

Anyway thought I'd share what I learnt from my $13.95 'investment'.

Tas

10-05-2016, 06:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Southern Calif
Posts: 562
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
I hadn't bought a magazine in a while so when I realised the K-1 was making an appearance in the August edition of Practical Photography Mag (out of the UK) I thought I'd pick up a copy.

There's not too much to the article in question, it's titled: "6 of the Best - Super High Resolution Cameras"

The last paragraph in the introduction states: "Here we take a look at six of the most affordable high resolution cameras currently available, so you can find your perfect match." The qualifying statement means this is not a medium format article.

The six in question as rated by the mag are:

6th (3 stars) Olympus OM-D E-M5 MkII
5th (3 stars) Pentax 645Z
4th (4 stars) Nikon D810
3rd (4 stars) Canon 5DS & 5DS R
2nd (4 stars) Sony A7R II
1st (5 stars) Pentax K-1

Something for everyone it seems?

A very subjective list and no real explanation in the article just some spec info, lists of pros and cons and the star rating system. I get the feeling they've not actually shot with all of the cameras listed as to me this is the only explanation for the 645Z being 5th in a 'high resolution camera' article.

Some interesting points I noticed in this article: the image of the K-1 shows the 18-135mm lens, it's about high resolution but there's mention of the crop modes for the D810, 5D's and the K-1 yet there's not a mention of pixel shift.

Anyway thought I'd share what I learnt from my $13.95 'investment'.

Tas
Same mag?
Pentax K-1 ? practicalphotography.com - Powered by Digital Photo and Practical Photography Magazines
10-05-2016, 08:42 AM   #3
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: South West UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 601
I think this month's is a roundup of previous reviews. I saw the original full review a few issues back.
10-05-2016, 09:07 AM   #4
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 238
The k-1 had a favorable review in the august issue of popular photography and october issue of shutterbug magazine as well.

10-05-2016, 10:36 AM   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Poole
Posts: 1,678
I'm actually as surprised as I am pleased - I know magazines change with editors, and it,s been several editors since I read a copy, but I remember it as being onr of those magazines that was rather grudging even to admit to the existence of Pentax
10-05-2016, 01:34 PM   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 4,002
I read that magazine test. Very good result for the K-1.
10-06-2016, 03:12 AM   #7
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: South West UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 601
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I remember it as being onr of those magazines that was rather grudging even to admit to the existence of Pentax
Practical Photography is much more about skills than kit anyway, so the reviews section is fairly limited in size - generally only one camera is given a full review per issue - and it is not restricted to DSLRs. With the volume of kit coming out from all manufacturers and all formats, the (very) occasional Pentax release might get edged out or delayed in getting a review.

That said, they have reviewed or mentioned the K-3II, K-70 and K-1 over the last year, and when they do lens roundups there is usually a Pentax in the lineup. Being a British publication they are always keen on affordable weather sealing, but are quite honest about Pentax's weaker areas too.
10-07-2016, 12:52 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
eaglem's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Perth Western Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 26,832
Unfortunately I've been unable to find a copy of it at any of our local Newsagents.

---------- Post added 10-07-16 at 04:47 PM ----------

Just ordered it from Mags Direct in England and it will be airmailed to me for a total of $20.01 AUD which I suppose isn't too bad.

10-07-2016, 10:50 AM   #9
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: South West UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 601
If you're about beginner to intermediate level, it's worth getting a year's subscription as they cover a lot of skills and projects at that level (including extra video tutorials on the disk). But after a year or so the same sort of thing comes around again and it is only the kit that changes, so it loses its appeal after a while. But I like their writing, it's quite inspirational...more than once I have read an issue and then got up and gone to try something new. But I've now read the second 'autumn projects' article and the ideas are very similar.
10-07-2016, 04:03 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
eaglem's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Perth Western Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 26,832
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
If you're about beginner to intermediate level, it's worth getting a year's subscription as they cover a lot of skills and projects at that level (including extra video tutorials on the disk). But after a year or so the same sort of thing comes around again and it is only the kit that changes, so it loses its appeal after a while. But I like their writing, it's quite inspirational...more than once I have read an issue and then got up and gone to try something new. But I've now read the second 'autumn projects' article and the ideas are very similar.
I will consider that.......
10-30-2016, 11:59 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
eaglem's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Perth Western Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 26,832
The magazine finally arrived today ( was always destined to be a halloween's Gift I suppose) and I was greatly impressed about the K-1 write up. The other articles are worth a read too so worth the money I paid.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
article, dslr, explanation, full frame, full-frame, k-1, k1, mention, pentax, pentax k-1, resolution, stars
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-3 Review in Popular Photography magazine (Jan 2014 issue) jdong Pentax K-3 9 12-03-2013 04:23 AM
Recommendation for photography magazine in UK. fizzyvimto Photographic Industry and Professionals 9 10-03-2013 06:58 AM
PENTAX in December 2012 c't Digital Photography Magazine! Heie Photographic Industry and Professionals 13 12-07-2012 08:42 AM
K-5, ISO25600, Practical Portrait (Part 1)... JohnBee Pentax K-5 13 10-20-2010 06:41 PM
k20d test in popular photography magazine hll Pentax DSLR Discussion 4 04-04-2008 01:16 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:46 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top