Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-07-2016, 02:26 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you take vertical pictures, you'll appreciate the grip.

10-07-2016, 02:39 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by ajack Quote
To each his own, but I don't understand the argument that a grip is worthwhile simply for the extra battery... you can easily carry a spare battery in your pocket / bag at like 1/4 the size and without shelling out $200.
A lot of my photography takes place on a flight line, flight deck, or other place where FOD is an issue. The extra battery life is not only welcome but the knowledge that a battery won't fall out of your pocket is welcome as well. The extra battery power helps during astrophotography shoots as well.

obin
10-07-2016, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #18
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
I was interested in getting a battery grip for my K-1. Those that have it, is it worth it and do you use it often?
Back when I was using my K10D I added the battery grip and found it made the camera easier to handle, better for portrait orientation and there was a great place to keep a second SD card and the Pentax wireless remote. Accordingly when I picked up the K7 I grabbed the grip due to it's versatility and I think this one was even more of an improvement on that body. It was great that I could swap it straight over to the K5 too.

I mention this so you have the context of my preference for using a grip. The extra area the grip gave was an enhancement too when I swapped over to a hand grip full time. Of course this meant that using the grip controls was less convenient but I accept that and so now you know where I started from prior to the K-1 and you can weight my expereiences accordingly.

When I picked up the K-1 the first accessory I grabbed was a grip, no second thoughts, I just felt it would suit my preferences. I have thought about removing it from time to time to make a more compact camera, but then the only small lens I use with the K-1 is the DA70 so I tend to just leave it on. The grip is handy for me with the Zeiss primes and the other D-FA's I use due to their size/weight. I feel more confident with it on, so whilst I may at some stage try the K-1 without the grip for me it suits my needs/preferences.

I will reinforce the comments about the usefulenss of the grip with the long teles, the biggest benefit I get is shooting sports/events with the 70-200/150-450 on a monopod. I can just unlock the lens collar and rotate the camera quicky and the grip controls are right there without having my right hand bent across the top. It's not quicker than leaving your hands on the primary controls, but it's a lot more comfortable if you're doing this regularly through the day.

I hope this feedback will be of assistance.

Tas
10-07-2016, 07:34 PM   #19

Location: Rainforest of Canada Vancouver Island and the sagebrush of southern Okanagan, BC
K1 grip yes or no

I have battery grips on K5II, K3 and K1, all very useful, extra juice, spare SD card storage and portrait mode shutter release. Makes and gives me the feel of my film era LX with the winder attached. Ads weight but you will not regret the feel of the combo overall.

10-08-2016, 01:41 AM   #20
Veteran Member

There was a need for the grip on K20 K5 K3 because of the size of the cameras and my hands, there is no need for the K1 because of that. But I was missing the release button and the other buttons in vertical mode, therfor I added one.

I think its much better to have a scond accu and a third card on the camera (in the grip), as to forget it in your car, at home and recognize that after a 4 hours walk - because its so easy to put it in your jacket.

I think it is better to take your camera and have all with you.

Last edited by joergens.mi; 11-05-2016 at 04:10 AM. Reason: typos
10-09-2016, 12:57 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am still contemplating whether or not to get the grip.
10-09-2016, 02:30 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

i do have a grip for K-5iis and K-3 , do not see any reason for getting one for K-1
kind regards
jack

10-09-2016, 04:48 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I went ahead and purchased it. The last couple of photo shoots, I've been doing a lot more portraits, so I think it's good investment.
10-09-2016, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

K3 and K5 were much easier to handle with grip with any lens in my opinion. K1 is fine without grip. K1 gives room for one extra finger for holding on to the camera grip.
With 24-70 I prefer no grip, with 70-200 i prefer no grip for walking around, but using the grip adds more stability. Grip always adds more stability and controls for vertical shooting.
10-10-2016, 09:18 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I have a grip for my K-5 II and would not want to miss it.

For my K-1, I would have bought a grip, if it had replicated the button layout of the camera. Given that the grip button layout is a permutation of the camera button layout that my muscle memory is used to, I will spare myself the frustration of mentally switching my internal button map every time I rotate the camera.

I would have only used the K-1's grip for a more relaxed handling during portrait shoots. The K-1 definitively does not need a grip, AFAIC, when used in landscape orientation regarding handling, as even larger hands find enough space on the camera's standard grip.
11-03-2016, 03:49 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had the K-x and K-30, so I'm not about to give up AA batteries.
11-05-2016, 03:24 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Misplaced button

The Live View button on my K-1 is paced where the photo review button was on the K-3. In two days of shooting maybe 20 exposures I have already gone to Live View a dozen times. Does anyone know if you can reassign these two button functions?
11-05-2016, 04:02 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've got a grip for the K-3, not for the K-1 - and there is no doubt that it does make taking vertical pictures, hand-held, easier and more effective - but I've always thought that the biggest argument for grips was the ability to use AA batteries (for instance) when travelling and possibly unable to get a charge.