Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
10-11-2016, 03:12 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by banep Quote
Congratulations!

Is that 70-200 exactly Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM II Macro?
Would you be so kind to check what is the LENS ID in exif of your jpg or raw file?
You will be the first person to have combo of K-1+70-200HSM II Macro working with original firmware (LENS ID 8 255) and that could become very interesting.
I have a doubt that you bought second hand lens which already had been seviced including firmware update.
Another option is that you have one of the latest samples of HSM II Macro which brand new had updated firmware (LENS ID 8 16).
Anyway your info will be very valuable to me and the rest of disappointed Sigma owners. Thank you!
Here's a screenshot of the Raw image data provided by photoshop. I've taken a photo minutes ago just to check the LensID. As you can see, my lens is the infamous Sigma lens with 8 255 lens ID and it does work on my K-1. I forgot to circle the exact lines in the photo, but you'll find them. Look in the sixth and seventh row from the bottom.

I bought both the camera and the lens used. The camera had firmware version 1.20 when I bought it a few days ago and it worked with the lens nevertheless. I've updated the firmware to 1.30 and it still works. As far as the lens goes, I have no idea whether the previous owner had the firmware updated, but I seriously doubt it. If she had had the firmware updated, I guess the LensID would have also changed from 8 255 to 8 16, wouldn't it?

Believe me, I was also very, very surprised when I saw that the lens works with my camera without the need for an update. Very surprised and very happy.

QuoteOriginally posted by MikePlunkett Quote
I never get sick of welcoming people to the K-1 fold. You now own an absolutely awesome camera that will give you a great deal of pleasure.

---------- Post added 10-11-16 at 09:59 AM ----------

I also went from a K-5 to the K-1 and the step up in image quality is astonishing. Don't get me wrong, I loved my K-5 but the new camera is just in a totally different league.
Exactly! I still can't believe how much better the image quality is between the two cameras. Even the lenses which were just average or below on my K-5 now work great on the K-1. Case in point, an old Sigma EX 28-70 2.8 which I did not use at all with my K-5 turned out to be above average on K-5, even wide open.

10-11-2016, 04:40 AM   #17
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by deepbluish Quote
Here's a screenshot of the Raw image data provided by photoshop. I've taken a photo minutes ago just to check the LensID. As you can see, my lens is the infamous Sigma lens with 8 255 lens ID and it does work on my K-1. I forgot to circle the exact lines in the photo, but you'll find them. Look in the sixth and seventh row from the bottom.

I bought both the camera and the lens used. The camera had firmware version 1.20 when I bought it a few days ago and it worked with the lens nevertheless. I've updated the firmware to 1.30 and it still works. As far as the lens goes, I have no idea whether the previous owner had the firmware updated, but I seriously doubt it. If she had had the firmware updated, I guess the LensID would have also changed from 8 255 to 8 16, wouldn't it?
Yes only original firmware have LENS ID 8 255.
Please, if you still have your K-5 please attach Sigma on K-5 activate live view mode and try to focus in live view mode.
If it is hunting and can't focus in live view mode than it has original firmware.
I don't know how it is possible to have LENS ID 8 255, one option is that lens was serviced (read: hacked) at unauthorized service.
Anyway you are probably the only person which have a working copy od that lens with original firmware on K-1.

p.s. Same K-1 firmware, same Sigma lens and firmware and it is not working. I'll probably sell all my Sigma lenses and never buy anything from Sigma again. Not only because of this lens, I have 4 Sigma lenses at the moment and (different kind of) problems with all of them on K-1.

Last edited by banep; 10-12-2016 at 05:47 AM.
10-11-2016, 05:20 AM   #18

Original Poster
@banep

I've just attached it to my K-5 and it does focus in live view without any problems.

I cannot be 100% certain of course, but I am 99% certain that the lens has not been hacked, i.e. serviced at an unauthorized service centre. The previous owner bought it from an official Sigma dealer and has not mentioned any problems. She also used a K-5 body.

I also have a couple more Sigma lenses, but they're both screwdrive and work without any problems on the K-1.
10-11-2016, 10:09 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I also have a couple more Sigma lenses, but they're both screwdrive and work without any problems on the K-1.
Same here.

I have six Sigma lenses, one of them being an HSM lens, and they all work without issues on my K-1.

10-11-2016, 10:55 AM   #20
Banned

All my Pentax and Tamron lenses works properly on K-1 and mostly as I expected, some better some don't but without big surprises.

But with Sigma lenses it is completely another story, 4 AF lenses, one HSM, one HSM II, and two older screwdrive AF lenses:
1) Full frame lenses can't be recognized as full frame.
2) Lenses identifications are the same as Pentax lenses so they are messed my micro focus adjustment for Pentax lenses.
With Sigmas settings are usually -10 so if I forget to change that I'll have totaly unusable shoots with Pentax lenses. One full day of hiking and climbing was trashed because of that.
3) DC lenses are not usable at all in full frame mode at any aperture and any focal length.
4) Even full frame lenses have bad vignetting
5) At last some of them are not working at all

Above all local support is total disaster, so bye bye Sigma, I can live without you.

---------- Post added 10-11-16 at 08:00 PM ----------

@banep

I've just attached it to my K-5 and it does focus in live view without any problems.
Thank you and congratulations again, you are probably the only winner in Sigma lottery because a) that lens is not working with original firmware on K-1 b) that lens can't focus properly wih original firmware in live view mode on K-5 (latest firmware 1.30 on cameras in both cases).

Last edited by banep; 10-12-2016 at 05:50 AM.
10-11-2016, 12:03 PM - 1 Like   #21

Original Poster
All my Pentax and Tamron lenses works properly on K-1 and mostly as I expected, some better some don't but without big surprises.

But with Sigma lenses it is completely another story, 4 AF lenses, one HSM, one HSM II, and two older screwdrive AF lenses:
2) Lenses identifications are the same as Pentax lenses so they are messed my micro focus adjustment for Pentax lenses.
With Sigmas settings are usually -10 so if I forget to change that I'll have totaly unusable shoots with Pentax lenses. One full day of hiking and climbing was trashed because of that.
3) DC lenses are not usable at all in full frame mode at any aperture and any focal length.
4) Even full frame lenses have very bad vignetting
5) They are not working at all

Above all local support is total disaster, so bye bye Sigma, I can live without you.

---------- Post added 10-11-16 at 08:00 PM ----------

Thank you and congratulations again, you are probably the only winner in Sigma lottery because a) that lens is not working with original firmware on K-1 b) that lens can't focus properly wih original firmware in live view mode on K-5 (latest firmware on cameras in both cases).

I see that you are from Slovenia and you'll be surprised to hear that my Sigma 70-200mm was bought in Slovenia. The original owner, a girl from Maribor, bought it new from Foto Beseničar. I'm from BiH.

Why don't you try to contact these guys? They're the official service centre for Sigma in Slovenia. I contacted them some time ago in anticipation of the possible problem with the lens and at the time Sigma still had not issued the repair advisory. I think they could help you get the firmware updated at no cost to you.

Splošne in tehnične informacije, informacije o prodajnih mestih, servis:

tel: 041 - 737-337
fax: 01 - 425-2789

Delovni čas: 9:00 do 11:00 in 12:00 do 15:30.

Infocona d.o.o.
Prevale 9
1236 Trzin.

Za ogled opreme, testiranje ali nakup, nas prosim prej pokličite, da se dogovorimo za termin.

Lep pozdrav
10-11-2016, 09:08 PM   #22
Banned

I see that you are from Slovenia and you'll be surprised to hear that my Sigma 70-200mm was bought in Slovenia. The original owner, a girl from Maribor, bought it new from Foto Beseničar. I'm from BiH.

Why don't you try to contact these guys? They're the official service centre for Sigma in Slovenia. I contacted them some time ago in anticipation of the possible problem with the lens and at the time Sigma still had not issued the repair advisory. I think they could help you get the firmware updated at no cost to you.

Splošne in tehnične informacije, informacije o prodajnih mestih, servis:

tel: 041 - 737-337
fax: 01 - 425-2789

Delovni čas: 9:00 do 11:00 in 12:00 do 15:30.

Infocona d.o.o.
Prevale 9
1236 Trzin.

Za ogled opreme, testiranje ali nakup, nas prosim prej pokličite, da se dogovorimo za termin.

Lep pozdrav
When I said that local support is a disaster I talked about them.
It was much better before when Besenicar was servicing Sigma lenses.

p.s. You said that you contacted them on this issue (firmware for 70-200). I'm curious what did they answered to you because I had a very bad experience with them exactly on this issue.
Congratulations again, you were also lucky enough to avoid their support.

Last edited by banep; 10-11-2016 at 09:18 PM.
10-12-2016, 03:10 AM   #23

Original Poster
I received a very polite reply from them telling me that the firmware update can be done free of charge and that I can send the lens to them. They also asked some details specific to this problem with K-1/Sigma 70-200 combo.

You can always try with a service centre in Croatia at Prizma-foto or in Germany or any other, because the firmware update and the physical change of mount to fit the new K-1 will be done free in any service centre. You just have to pay for the postage costs.
10-12-2016, 04:27 AM   #24

Photos: Gallery
Thanks everyone!

So far, I am just astonished how different this camera is in comparison to my K-5. Focus accuracy is the first thing that strikes out.
Now you've got me thinking. I was gonna go for a K3ii next from my K5.
10-12-2016, 04:36 AM   #25

Original Poster
I haven't tried the K-3II so can't speak of that. I know that I've wanted an FF camera for a long time and the K-1 is really a camera I will keep using for a very long time. It's got everything I need.

I guess you have to decide whether it's FF or APS-C that you want/need.
10-12-2016, 05:13 AM   #26
Banned

I received a very polite reply from them telling me that the firmware update can be done free of charge and that I can send the lens to them. They also asked some details specific to this problem with K-1/Sigma 70-200 combo.
Could be possible that they were not aware of the problem 4 months ago but their answer at that time was not acceptable to me.
OK, I'll try one more time to contact them.

Last edited by banep; 10-12-2016 at 05:45 AM.
10-12-2016, 08:51 AM   #27

Photos: Gallery
I haven't tried the K-3II so can't speak of that. I know that I've wanted an FF camera for a long time and the K-1 is really a camera I will keep using for a very long time. It's got everything I need.

I guess you have to decide whether it's FF or APS-C that you want/need.
What I need is a lottery won to feed my Pentax addiction. Oh, and my wife to not notice if I buy anything, which to be honest won't be much of a problem. I wore new glasses for two weeks and still she asked when am I going to pick up my new specs. 😊
10-12-2016, 09:25 AM   #28
Veteran Member

4) Even full frame lenses have bad vignetting
5) At last some of them are not working at all

Above all local support is total disaster, so bye bye Sigma, I can live without you
I can understand your frustration, however I feel I have to address your blanket characterization of "all Sigma lenses".

First off, Sigma DC lens are APS image circle ONLY by design, so complaining about lenses designed for APS-C on a FF sensor reduces your rant's credibility.
Second, please identify these FF lenses that vignette badly. I own a 100-300 f4, 500 f4.5, 20-40 f2.8, 70 Macro and 28 Macro. Until recently I also owned a 24-60 f2.8. I have absolutely NO vignetting issues at any aperture with any of those aforementioned lenses.
I also own a 50-150 HSM, aside from the image circle issue (it's a DC lens), I've had no AF issues.

Lastly, I do agree with your experience of overlapping lens IDs. I don't believe that's a Sigma issue however.

I posted this in the Bugs/Issues thread and received several very dismissive comments:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/319873-post-k-1-bugs-issue...ml#post3636855

It's good to know others are having the same experience. Maybe we'll finally get some traction on getting this addressed??
10-12-2016, 12:11 PM   #29
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
I can understand your frustration, however I feel I have to address your blanket characterization of "all Sigma lenses".

Lastly, I do agree with your experience of overlapping lens IDs. I don't believe that's a Sigma issue however.

I posted this in the Bugs/Issues thread and received several very dismissive comments:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/319873-post-k-1-bugs-issue...ml#post3636855

It's good to know others are having the same experience. Maybe we'll finally get some traction on getting this addressed??
Everything I mentioned except vignetting is a problem of Sigma reverse engineering.
In other words, they are creating their lens firmware by hacking existing communications between Pentax cameras and lenses.
Problem in that kind of approach is that they doesn't know full specifications of communication protocols and when Pentax start to use something which was long time ago defined but never used Sigma lenses suddenly stops working.
That is the case with 70-200 HSM II Macro. I know how that works and I am 100% sure that @deepbluish lens is modified somewhere and somehow.

Lens IDs are also a problem of the same approach, if you don't pay the fee and do your firmware by reverse engineering you don't know what LENS IDs will be used by Pentax lenses in the future.
So overlaping IDs are absolutely not a Pentax K-1 problem and not a Pentax problem in general. It is only a Sigma's problem.

---------- Post added 10-12-16 at 09:14 PM ----------

I am also very happy to report that it works with the dreaded Sigma 70-200 without problems even though I haven't sent it for a firmware upgrade.
Željko, please, would you be so kind to take a photo of your 70-200 lens mount (straight from the bottom) and post it here? Thank you very much in advance

Last edited by banep; 10-12-2016 at 12:20 PM.
10-13-2016, 02:18 AM   #30
Banned

Why don't you try to contact these guys? They're the official service centre for Sigma in Slovenia.

Infocona d.o.o.
Prevale 9
1236 Trzin.
I contacted them by email info@sigma-si.com because I'll be in roaming until monday.
Email is official and I found it on their site.
Guess what is the answer:

" This is the mail system at host mailhub.siol.net. I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be delivered to one or more recipients"

And the reason is:

"<15212774@users.siol.net>: host psrvmbs04.zcs-production.pri[172.28.168.67] said: 552 5.2.2 Over quota (in reply to end of DATA command)"

Translated into english their mailbox is full. No comment.

I'll try one more time to contact them by phone when I return home.

Željko, please before I'll contact Sigma service in some other country I would like to see a photo of your lens mount. I know I'm tedious but you are the only person on this forum with that combo working without lens firmware update. I have a feeling that lens was serviced by previous owner, could be a mount change (which is official recall by Sigma) or some other reason. In Sigma service when they change mount or fix some other issue they are doing firmware update by default so previous owner could be unaware of that. That certainly does not explain the same LENS ID, but maybe they now have some internal service instructions for K-1 to disable some AF functionalities in lens firmware. I would like to compare that with disabling failed SDM motor on some Pentax lenses. To do that you don't need to change firmware, you just have to update some data in existing firmware to continue using that lens with screwdrive AF. I'm just guessing but the fact is that K-1 is not compatible with original firmware of that lens.

p.s. I'm more desperate now because of your sample photo shoot with this lens on K-1 , bokeh and sharpness looks really great.

Last edited by banep; 10-13-2016 at 04:23 AM.