Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2016, 12:52 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Mecablitz 52 AF-1 digital & K-1 are compatible.

While looking for a firmware update for the Metz 52, I noticed that the firmware update for the metz 58 specifically referenced the K-1 body.

Since there was no such reference to K-1 compatibility or lack thereof for the metz 52 (that I could find) I thought it best to check with a Metz representative before using the 52 on my K-1. I guess I'd rather err on the side of caution!

Here is my question, and their quick response:

"Dear Metz Representative, Is the mecablitz 52 AF-1 digital for Pentax compatible with the new Pentax K-1 full frame body? Thanks for you reply.

Dear Customer, Thank you for your inquiry. Yes, the Pentax K-1 is compatible with the Metz 52 AF-1 as of the very first release. Have a wonderful day! Thank you again and best regards"

So for anyone interested in this flash, it is compatible with the K-1!

Last edited by rgknief60; 10-14-2016 at 01:01 PM.
10-14-2016, 03:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I can confirm, after about 1000 flash shots with the K-1 and Metz 52 AF-1, that the Metz 52 AF-1 is fully compatible with the K-1. No firmware update required - for either camera or flash.
10-14-2016, 04:55 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Mostly yes...

Does the 52 AF-1 work mostly? Yes. P-TTL is fine and exposures seem 100%.

But the AF IR assist beam DOES NOT WORK, and the LCD on the flash DOES NOT turn on when you half press the shutter button. (Both these things happen on the K3II and K5IIs.)

So there is room for a K1 FW update for the 52 AF1.
10-14-2016, 05:58 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
But the AF IR assist beam DOES NOT WORK, and the LCD on the flash DOES NOT turn on when you half press the shutter button.
True. I never used the on-camera or flash AF assist on K-3, so never checked to see if that worked on the K-1. But I can see how the flash AF assist beam could be a handy feature. (If only one day some flash maker offered an invisible IR beam that the camera AF could detect but subjects wouldn't see).

Confirm also that the shutter button doesn't wake up the Metz 52 LCD on the K-1 after flash startup. Never noticed the difference in how that works with K-3. But it's not a huge bother to me, since a tap is all it takes to wake the LCD.

Still, the important things work out-of-the-box, so I am thankful.

10-14-2016, 10:09 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
True. I never used the on-camera or flash AF assist on K-3, so never checked to see if that worked on the K-1. But I can see how the flash AF assist beam could be a handy feature. (If only one day some flash maker offered an invisible IR beam that the camera AF could detect but subjects wouldn't see).

Confirm also that the shutter button doesn't wake up the Metz 52 LCD on the K-1 after flash startup. Never noticed the difference in how that works with K-3. But it's not a huge bother to me, since a tap is all it takes to wake the LCD.

Still, the important things work out-of-the-box, so I am thankful.

Yes, neither issue is a big problem. As a matter of fact I'm shooting a wedding tomorrow with the K1 and a Metz 52 Af1. My wife gets the K3II with our other Metz 52 AF1.

I am sure Metz will fix these small issues with a FW...someday...I hope.
10-15-2016, 03:46 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am sure Metz will fix these small issues with a FW...someday...I hope
I am sure ....I hope ?
10-15-2016, 10:40 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
I am sure ....I hope ?

Hey, THAT's a TRUE Pentaxian!

I am sure Pentax will come out with a DFA 20mm next year... I hope... See how that works?
10-17-2016, 07:08 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
But the AF IR assist beam DOES NOT WORK
I tested this (forgot to verify the LCD light) and the same happens to me. I contacted Metz with this bug report, and I urge anyone else with the flash to do the same. That will encourage them to fix this.

08-09-2017, 08:12 PM   #9

The issue isn't the flash. Pentax, for some reason disabled the IR beams on all flashes w/ the K1. I have the Pentax 360FGZ and the Metz, the IR doesn't work on either. I read somewhere, perhaps here, that it is the K1. Pentax instead relies on the Focus Assist from the camera vs flash. Oh well.
08-09-2017, 11:55 PM   #10
Pentaxian

For info, since this is a 2016 thread ... worth noting that in April 2017 Metz 52 AF-1 firmware v1.4 for Pentax was released, with some minor revisions.

QuoteQuote:
"Improvements:
1. Production-related modification.
2. Automatic motor zoom setting after mode change Slave/Servo to P-TTL enhanced."
No specific K-1 improvements that I ever noticed though.