Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2016, 12:38 PM   #16
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Roi-et, Thailand
Posts: 773
QuoteOriginally posted by lennyl Quote
HopelessTogger:
one friend with K-1 bought the DFA24-70WR (1.130euro) and we tested DFA24-70 vs my Sigma 24-70/2,8 IF EX DG HSM.

Both lenses has absolutely quite focusing (HSM and SDM), the optical quality were both lenses the nearly same, but Pentax focuses less accurately - of course we tried to switch cross the lenses on two K-1.
Purchase of Sigma is my best deal in life (411euro).


DFA24-70 vs Sigma 24-70
http://www.imagehosting.cz/images/untitlmnm.jpg

Sigma 24-70 vs FA31Limited
http://www.imagehosting.cz/images/untitlbfb.jpg
Thank you, Lennyl. Yes, that was a real bargain.

10-16-2016, 01:00 PM   #17
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Slovakia
Posts: 56
yes, in our country is still available.

Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG IF HSM, baj. Pentax - PRO.Laika
10-16-2016, 03:33 PM   #18
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Roi-et, Thailand
Posts: 773
QuoteOriginally posted by lennyl Quote
yes, in our country is still available.

Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG IF HSM, baj. Pentax - PRO.Laika
I'll see what that Pound does this week. That lens could be over a million Pounds by Thursday the way it's going.
10-16-2016, 07:42 PM   #19
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2016
Photos: Albums
Posts: 11
Original Poster
As far as I know there was an compatibility issue with the Sigma 24-70/2,8 IF EX DG HSM, but more mechanically (cousing a scratch in the housing of the K1).
Sigma would fix an adapt i for you if you aleady had one.
There is older version of this Lens to Sigma 24-70/2,8 IF EX DG (without HSM). I dont know if it is the same issue with tis lens.

10-16-2016, 11:13 PM   #20
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Slovakia
Posts: 56
domisplanet: no, the old Sigma 24-70/2,8 EX IF DG and 70-200/2,8 EX IF DG HSM II Macro and new Sigma 35/1,4 ART are OK. But the Sigma 50/1,4 EX IF DG HSM and Sigma 70-200/2,8 EX IF DG OS HSM scratch my K-1.
I thing is dependet on one each piece.

Last edited by lennyl; 10-16-2016 at 11:19 PM.
10-17-2016, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 60
I actually must agree with the OP. I find the willingness of the community to overlook this highly surprising. I have never owned a lens that would vignette so much. I don't consider it OK. It's not OK. The lens is affordable but hardly 'cheap'. Why is it that people are so keen on accepting 'faults' as part of the deal and happily paying for them? The vignetting coupled with the completely unacceptable distortion levels at the wide end make this lens a rather poor buy. In camera lens correction slows the camera operation massively. It should not be assumed everyone will shoot in RAW either. Contemplating returning mine despite having purchased it at a very attractive price.

Last edited by mag07; 10-17-2016 at 11:05 AM.
10-17-2016, 12:33 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,737
QuoteOriginally posted by mag07 Quote
I actually must agree with the OP. I find the willingness of the community to overlook this highly surprising. I have never owned a lens that would vignette so much. I don't consider it OK. It's not OK. The lens is affordable but hardly 'cheap'. Why is it that people are so keen on accepting 'faults' as part of the deal and happily paying for them? The vignetting coupled with the completely unacceptable distortion levels at the wide end make this lens a rather poor buy. In camera lens correction slows the camera operation massively. It should not be assumed everyone will shoot in RAW either. Contemplating returning mine despite having purchased it at a very attractive price.
I don't own this lens. Or a K-1. But I read a lot of reviews on multiple platforms and a lot of modern lenses are in this same design mode. What affordable zoom for a Nikon or Canon does this better in the same price range and zoom range? (I'm not arguing with you btw - I'm curious since I have no current full frame aspirations - this is all academic to me at the moment.)
10-17-2016, 02:59 PM - 2 Likes   #23
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 121
For me, 28-105 is too narrow on the short end.

Prior to the K-1, I was using a K-5 with Pentax' DA 16-85/3.5-5.6.
HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Something equivalent to that would have a focal range of about 24-128mm. Once upon a time, there was a Tamron 24-135, but that's difficult to obtain on the 2nd hand market.

Now I'm using an (old) Pentax FA 24-90/3.5-4.5 with fairly decent results.

SMC Pentax-FA 24-90mm F3.5-4.5 AL [IF] Reviews - FA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

For me, the missing length is not as big a problem as the reduced wideness of a 28mm lens would have been.

A pity, a real pity that Pentax decided to come up with a 28-105, when both competitors have 24-120mm lenses as better kit lenses for their full-frame DSLRs.

And another pity that Sigma continues to ignore the Pentax market by not producing the new 24-105 "art" lens with K bayonet.

10-18-2016, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #24
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2016
Photos: Albums
Posts: 11
Original Poster
@ mag07. that is exactly what i mean. It's not the most expensive lens but it's definitely not a bargain. It sells around 700 USD here. I would expect a bit more for a lens wich was specifically designed for a camera system.

I'll probaly try it with eighter the Tamron 28-75 2,8 or the Sigma 24-70 2,8.

Does anybody have some sample images with the Tamron?
12-01-2016, 10:34 AM   #25
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 60
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I don't own this lens. Or a K-1. But I read a lot of reviews on multiple platforms and a lot of modern lenses are in this same design mode. What affordable zoom for a Nikon or Canon does this better in the same price range and zoom range? (I'm not arguing with you btw - I'm curious since I have no current full frame aspirations - this is all academic to me at the moment.)
I haven't got the slightest idea to be fair. You may be right. They very well may all do this For now, I use primes and my old 35-70 way more often then the kit zoom. It's just there, in case I fancy some bad weather action
12-01-2016, 12:59 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,737
QuoteOriginally posted by mag07 Quote
I haven't got the slightest idea to be fair. You may be right. They very well may all do this For now, I use primes and my old 35-70 way more often then the kit zoom. It's just there, in case I fancy some bad weather action
Is that the F or FA 35-70 or the older A series? I don't know much about those lenses other than my Dad's thoughts from when the A series was new - he wasn't a fan. I was shooting back then but I used an F 35-135, an M 28 f/2.8, an M 100 f/2.8, an F 100 f/2.8 Macro, and A* 85 f/1.4 and an FA 80-320 on film. The 35-70 wasn't on my radar since the 35-135 wasn't too bad and I had the 28 and 85 and 100 when I wanted to go prime.
12-01-2016, 01:58 PM   #27
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Prince George, BC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,271
I doubt any raw shooter who applies vignetting correction in post would complain too much about the new 28-105. Are there jpeg shooters out there who have tried the in-camera peripheral illumination correction of the most recent Ricoh models and find it wanting?
12-01-2016, 05:19 PM   #28
Site Supporter
GeneV's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albuquerque NM
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,772
Funny, I just started a thread a few days ago about how the 28-105 was a big pleasant surprise. I thought it was a huge bargain at $496 and over performs for a "Kit" type lens. The end result for me has been good results and good portability at a fair price.

Owning Sony E mount cameras changed my view away from a lot of things I expected in the film days when a lens had to be able to produce an uncorrected slide. Some of their lenses get panned by some owners for distortion and vignetting you only see if you intentionally process the image without all the corrections Sony built into the raw and JPEG files. You can add glass to correct or you can do it in PP, and, after seeing the results from my Sony, I will happily take the correction in a form that does not add the size, weight and cost of extra glass. If you have ACR or Lightroom (or other raw converters) set up to apply lens profiles by default, you need never see the vignetting at all.

Last edited by GeneV; 12-01-2016 at 05:58 PM.
12-01-2016, 07:08 PM   #29
Site Supporter
GeneV's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albuquerque NM
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,772
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
I doubt any raw shooter who applies vignetting correction in post would complain too much about the new 28-105. Are there jpeg shooters out there who have tried the in-camera peripheral illumination correction of the most recent Ricoh models and find it wanting?
My experience is that the JPEGs are well corrected.
Attached Images
 
12-01-2016, 07:11 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,984
It seems reasonable to believe lens engineers and software engineers design lenses as a team, so that an affordable lens is intentionally designed with native faults left in, intentionally corrected by camera software. Shooting RAW and developing with lens profiles does the same thing.

For $500 I'm perfectly happy to have software corrections applied and I don't notice any processing bottleneck on my K-1.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
dslr, frame, full frame, full-frame, issue, k-1, k1, lens, pentax, pentax k-1, pentax k1
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Standard zoom for Pentax K-1: Pentax vs. Pentax vs. Tamron... zeitlos Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 78 10-24-2016 06:46 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax Q10 + 02 Standard Zoom + PL Filter for Q buzzvic Sold Items 13 01-14-2016 03:01 PM
Pentax standard zoom choice HippyHippo Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 10-20-2015 06:05 AM
For Sale - Sold: Mint Yellow Pentax Q07 + 02 standard zoom lens kp0c Sold Items 3 06-19-2015 10:00 AM
For Sale - Sold: Standard Zoom 02 for Pentax Q henkvanzuylen Sold Items 4 11-13-2012 06:54 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:41 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top