Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2016, 07:43 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Software correction is part of the photo workflow nowadays (warts and all).
It does not need to be on-camera.
On my LR, when I import the RAW files, I load in the preset with the lens correction turned on, and there is no extra work at all.

But like the samples shown above, often, its an artistic call with the vignetting.
I end up adding it to a lot of my picts actually.

I've tried the Tamon 28-75/2.8 on the K1 (actually it was my copy which I sold to a friend when I went all primes)
f8-f11, at 28-35mm for landscapes, its good enough that I did not find a issue.
Wide open shooting, its more center sharp (as with most large aperture lenses, except the more modern ones)
Certainly a viable option imo.

However, 24-70mm lenses make a big difference imo as the 24mm end really can serve as the widest lens vs 28mm.

12-01-2016, 08:15 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Software correction is not lossless. There are some reductions in overall quality when correcting any defect. However I'm with the last few folks on this - I don't mind it because in general the losses are negligible and well worth it.
12-03-2016, 03:04 AM - 1 Like   #33

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Of course today you can correct nearly everything using software. But I am not a big fan of software solution and correction. For me photography is more about getting the best possible result without corrections. Otherwise I can buy a 500 bugs camera with a kit lens. In this case the software of the camera knows that the lens on it is crap and will correct it.

As I mentoined I prefer to spend more time in taking photos and not correcting them ;-).

I am really happy with the K1 and the A Series prime lenses I mainly use on it, even the A zoom lenses deliver decent results (missing the autofocus and manualy adjust focal length). And I am really happy that I found my way back to Pentax! After many years since I started digital.

So maybe I had a bad day when testing the 28-105 but I expected mor from a brand new lens wich is so well rated. I notice aswell that there seems is is a big differece in the pricing araound the globe (regarding the prices you tell). Here it sells around 750$ wich is hardly cheap for this lens. Anyway I ended up in buying a used Tamron 28-75 2,8 wich delivers in my opinion better results by far.
Saving money to buy the 24-70 2,8 Pentax.
12-03-2016, 08:35 AM - 1 Like   #34
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Is that the F or FA 35-70 or the older A series? I don't know much about those lenses other than my Dad's thoughts from when the A series was new - he wasn't a fan. I was shooting back then but I used an F 35-135, an M 28 f/2.8, an M 100 f/2.8, an F 100 f/2.8 Macro, and A* 85 f/1.4 and an FA 80-320 on film. The 35-70 wasn't on my radar since the 35-135 wasn't too bad and I had the 28 and 85 and 100 when I wanted to go prime.
FA - SMC Pentax-F 35-70mm F3.5-4.5 Reviews - F Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database. It's fantastic on the K1. Actually, it's fantastic, full stop. Used it on K100D, K7, K3II as well

12-06-2016, 01:43 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was able to find a Tamron 24-135 on ebay for under 200 bucks and find it as a very useful standard zoom for everyday shooting with the K-1. I still think Pentax should have come up with a kit lens covering this range to provide a true all-around zoom. Camera jpegs with K-1.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
12-06-2016, 02:14 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by isb.deep Quote
I was able to find a Tamron 24-135 on ebay for under 200 bucks and find it as a very useful standard zoom for everyday shooting with the K-1. I still think Pentax should have come up with a kit lens covering this range to provide a true all-around zoom. Camera jpegs with K-1.
The first two shots seem low contrast or washed out a little. The last shot is quite engaging. I would love to see side by side shots with the 28-105 or 24-70 or both to get better clarity around the level of contrast and color of each in comparison.
12-06-2016, 02:40 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did have the retro filter applied to these shots which could have contributed to the lowered contrast. I don't have any doubts though that the 28-105 and 24-70 would be much better in contrast. I do have the 28-105 but it's not with at the moment, maybe will upload a comparison later.

12-06-2016, 03:03 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by isb.deep Quote
I did have the retro filter applied to these shots which could have contributed to the lowered contrast. I don't have any doubts though that the 28-105 and 24-70 would be much better in contrast. I do have the 28-105 but it's not with at the moment, maybe will upload a comparison later.
LOL - Phew! I knew I wasn't crazy! OK - thanks for the info.
12-06-2016, 03:32 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
LOL - Phew! I knew I wasn't crazy! OK - thanks for the info.
Ha ha, no sir. You're absolutely not

Last edited by isb.deep; 12-06-2016 at 03:45 PM.
12-07-2016, 06:00 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by domisplanet Quote
Of course today you can correct nearly everything using software. But I am not a big fan of software solution and correction. For me photography is more about getting the best possible result without corrections. Otherwise I can buy a 500 bugs camera with a kit lens. In this case the software of the camera knows that the lens on it is crap and will correct it.

As I mentoined I prefer to spend more time in taking photos and not correcting them ;-).

I am really happy with the K1 and the A Series prime lenses I mainly use on it, even the A zoom lenses deliver decent results (missing the autofocus and manualy adjust focal length). And I am really happy that I found my way back to Pentax! After many years since I started digital.

So maybe I had a bad day when testing the 28-105 but I expected mor from a brand new lens wich is so well rated. I notice aswell that there seems is is a big differece in the pricing araound the globe (regarding the prices you tell). Here it sells around 750$ wich is hardly cheap for this lens. Anyway I ended up in buying a used Tamron 28-75 2,8 wich delivers in my opinion better results by far.
Saving money to buy the 24-70 2,8 Pentax.
Back when I shot Kodachrome, I totally got the idea of a lens which did everything without help. With digital developed from raw, "no corrections" is a more slippery concept.

Optical corrections are not lossless, either. Add or change an element to correct one problem and you often introduce some other issue. Correcting vignetting on the scale we are discussing here exacts a cost somewhere between negligible and nonexistent when performed by software.

Glad you are happy with the Tamron. For others, such as myself, those are two different beasts. The differences in reach, size and weight are more important to me than the faster aperture. (Price is the same at B&H) It is nice that we have choices, and none of them is necessarily right for everyone.

Last edited by GeneV; 12-07-2016 at 06:15 AM.
12-07-2016, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I got my K1 I was 2,200 miles form home and stopped at Camera Cottage in Billings. MT because I knew he had one in stock. I just wanted to handle one. Well we all know how that goes. Some sort of mind control in the wifi makes you buy them once you touch them. Most of the shorter focal length Lenses I had were DA so I needed something to cover wide angles so I got the 28-105. The vignetting is a bit of a downer but the lens really shines otherwise. .

Last edited by gaweidert; 12-11-2016 at 05:30 AM.
12-08-2016, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Buying the K-1 was a budgetary stretch for me, so I needed to find affordable lenses for it. The real money was spent on the long and short ends, with a Sigma 12-24 ($500) and a DA*300/4 ($800). There are no cheap substitutes for those extreme lenses that don't give up major performance issues like AF and WR. With that money spent, I was fortunate to find two excellent midrange solutions.

The Pentax-F 24-50/4 is my one-lns walkaround solution. It's as small as a fast fifty, and it adds little perceptible weight to my two-pound camera body. There's a slight veiling and loss of contrast when wide open, but the lens is 9/10 sharp in the center and not far behind in the corners. The images crop beautifully, in camera or out, so I use this like a 24-50-75 tri-focal lens. The F 24-50 is rare, but I've searched the Earth and accumulated three (two will soon be sold).

Then there's the Pentax-F 35-70/4, already praised here. It's an odd, ugly lump of gray plastic decorated in red, green, light blue and yellow markings that once must have been fashionable somewhere. It's available cheaply as a body cap on many old film cameras. I hate to admit this, because I want 24mm available to me at all times, but the 35-70 is even sharper and more consistent at all apertures. Maybe I should spray paint it silver and pretend it's a Limited. Limited in zoom range, yes, but once again, the K-1 converts it to a 35-70-105 triplet.

These lenses aren't as versatile and full-featured as DA*zooms, but they're capable of a lot. For me, they feel and handle more like prime lenses, extended.

Last edited by Wheatridger; 12-08-2016 at 01:28 PM. Reason: punctuation
12-08-2016, 02:38 PM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I just wanted to handle one. Well we all know how that goes.
HA HA, and we both know where the bank balance goes!.....I just wanted to feel the weight but got a full demonstation.(Friday 13th was an unlucky day for the bank balance)
12-09-2016, 02:16 PM   #44

I stumbled upon an unused Tokina AT-X Pro 28-70/2.8 for less than 200€ so I pulled the trigger on it.
Beast of a lens, heavy and clunky AK-47 feel to it but has m ore than decent IQ (70mm f/2.8 is dreamy but sharpens nicely @f/4).

Note that there are multiple versions of this lens, mine is Japanese version 2. Typically outside Japan versions 1 and 2 were marketed (correctly) as f/2.6-2.8, then there is a f/2.8 marked international version and finally the SV(which is far less robust and inferior in every aspect). There is also 28-80/2.8 which is nice.

Only thing in common in all sources I could find is that they say to avoid the SV version. Three(or sometimes more!) versions of the original lens are well regarded(albeit there's that "Tokina glow" at the longer end wide open) but basically all sources gave different version as the best one.

Then there is a AT-X 28-70/2.8 WITHOUT the PRO-markings which is the worst of these by far.

Identifying these can be a pain in the ass but versions 1 and 2 can be told apart from the hood. 1 has screw in hood and 2 has bayonet. Of course to make things a bit more confusing there are late model 1s with bayonet hoods.

All-in-all I recommend the lens at that price but would propably buy newest version of Sigma 24-70/2.8 used.

Last edited by Drinkkeri; 12-09-2016 at 02:37 PM.
12-11-2016, 05:28 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I shot a lot with the FA28-105 years ago on film and never really noticed any vignetting.

I think it was just an expectation... it was there, but I just built it in to my idea of what the image "should" look like.

And I was generally viewing 10*15 cm prints or a slide, nothing like a big monitor.

Wide open, it vignettes a lot on the K1... more than samples I've seen of the new DFA one...

-Eric