Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
10-29-2016, 07:55 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Then why test it as 32? DXO makes me nuts sometimes. Also does this mean you can't use ev +5 at ISO 64? I'm confused. I think it is unrelated but the language used is a bit confusing.
The settings for going to down to ISO 32 and up to ISO 51200 aren't based on EV compensation but on some other method Nikon has implemented to extend the ISO range.

10-29-2016, 09:48 AM   #77
Veteran Member

If D810 was overexposing it would have worse highlight recovery capability BUT that is not so. D810 has more reserve in highlights at base ISO than any other Sony 36MP camera (d800e, a7r or K-1).
10-29-2016, 10:23 AM - 2 Likes   #78
Veteran Member

Like the Pentax best, buy a Pentax...Like the Nikon one best, buy a Nikon.

Simple as that..no need for lame discussions..
10-29-2016, 11:46 AM   #79
Veteran Member

What lame discussion is that? Just noted what I have experienced with different cameras.

10-29-2016, 12:34 PM   #80
Veteran Member

I might have read this wrong. It looked like this camera is better then that camera discussion
10-29-2016, 02:09 PM   #81
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
If D810 was overexposing it would have worse highlight recovery capability BUT that is not so. D810 has more reserve in highlights at base ISO than any other Sony 36MP camera (d800e, a7r or K-1).
You made the wrong purcahse decisions with the lenses, and also a wrong decision with the camera, you are definitely not lucky with your purchases. Maybe you should seek for advice on how to select products effectively to prevent wasting money on wrong purchase decisions.
10-30-2016, 05:11 AM   #82
Veteran Member

What does that have to do with writing about experiences of different camera bodies? People were talking about ISO64 setting of D810 which is very nicely implemented in that body.

10-31-2016, 09:52 AM   #83
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
I think I figured out the AF delay.

I had the K1 set to "Auto Power Off: 1 Minute." Which usually is no big deal because when you are using the camera it usually stays on while you are using it. But at a wedding there are times when you stand around for 5 minutes or more without touching the camera between shots. If the camera "Auto's Off" it there is a delay while it is restarting and the AF has a lag time. If the camera is awake, the AF is pretty much instant even in dim light.

So next wedding, Auto Power Off will be set to "Off" and we'll see how we go.

This might also account for the poster who said his birding shots had slow AF. If your waiting around for the birds to show up, the camera could power off.

I'm still testing all this but it seems to be the reason for my issue so far...
I ran into this yesterday and thought of this thread! Thanks for the info.
10-31-2016, 12:13 PM   #84
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kvetcha Quote
I ran into this yesterday and thought of this thread! Thanks for the info.

Was it the "power off" setting that caused your delay and did changing it improve things? Just curious? Thanks!
10-31-2016, 01:18 PM   #85
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Im kind of curious about this issue too.. i also feel that at low light there is a point where K1 didnt focus fast enough.. and also felt that the AF assist lamp could be better in order to improve focus at really low light, perhaps adding a sensitivity Assist Lamp setting??.. i will try the "Power Off" trick next time and see if it gets better.. I used the camera with the D-FA 24-70, and notice this issue sometimes, I can not say all the time cuz light condition at nightclubs or receptions change really fast... but besides that issue.. I love this camera..

Last edited by kooks; 10-31-2016 at 01:51 PM.
10-31-2016, 03:31 PM   #86
Forum Member

Was it the "power off" setting that caused your delay and did changing it improve things? Just curious? Thanks!
Yep! I changed it to 30 minutes and had no further issues.
10-31-2016, 09:48 PM   #87
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kvetcha Quote
Yep! I changed it to 30 minutes and had no further issues.

VERY Interesting! Thanks!

I've changed mine, but I have no events coming up any time soon to really put it to the test.
11-01-2016, 01:27 AM   #88

VERY Interesting! Thanks!

I've changed mine, but I have no events coming up any time soon to really put it to the test.
Does that mean time for new photouniverse videos? Please say yes :-)
11-01-2016, 10:18 AM   #89
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Luke. Quote
Does that mean time for new photouniverse videos? Please say yes :-)

Thank you, it's appreciated!

I am definitely thinking about it. Full Frame is such an emotionally charged topic and even more so with Pentax. I have not done a video yet because I am being careful and want to be as clear as I can be when I do make one.

I did make a video commenting on the tilt screen and the lights, I specifically said in the video that I like the tilt screen and the lights, criticized them a little bit, and every one started telling me why I shouldn't hate the tilt screen and the lights....

We live in a very polarized and amplified society these days.
11-01-2016, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #90
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I did make a video commenting on the tilt screen and the lights, I specifically said in the video that I like the tilt screen and the lights, criticized them a little bit, and every one started telling me why I shouldn't hate the tilt screen and the lights....
We live in a very polarized and amplified society these days.
Ed, I really, really appreciate your video reviews and analysis. Thanks for taking the time and trouble to make them. Please continue to say exactly what you think. Even though I don't agree with all your opinions, I do look forward to your videos and hearing your views. Don't let the fanboys put you off speaking your mind.