Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2016, 10:16 AM   #121
Pentaxian

IMO truly experienced people would be able to make a solid point without shoving their experience in everyone's face.

I can easily give examples of people showcasing their "experience", but making some ridiculous claims. And it's not necessarily that they lied about them being experienced... but:
- the experience might not be in a field relevant to the exact claim being made. For example, a photographer (because we're on a photography forum) might make a claim related to electric engineering (technical aspect of a camera/lens).
- you know the saying, "practice makes perfect" - well, that's wrong. Only good practice makes perfect; bad practice makes bad. Having "experience" doesn't automatically makes you an expert.
- even an expert can have a bad day, miss something, exaggerate completely losing any sense of perspective or otherwise make a false claim.
- it might be just a way of saying "I can't/won't support my claims, don't you dare to contradict me".

After all, we're talking about an argument from authority.

11-13-2016, 11:21 AM   #122
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
I don't know exactly how things works when comes to airline pilots, but I'm assuming (based on what a friend of mine who is a pilot told me) that they have on regular basis trainings, evaluations and so on. And they need to attend to some special trainings in order to become certified pilots. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Normally, in order to become a professional photographer, you have to participate to some special trainings also, in order to get your licence as a photographer. But, let's say that someone is a self-taught person and after a while he starts to get payed for his images and after another few years his entire income comes from photograpahy. That means that after 30 years of shooting weedings or something else he is entitled to have an opinion about photography, right? Well, it's complicated, but the short answer is: yes and no...

You see, in Romania in order to practice photography as a business you need a licence offered by National Qualifications Authority (a state department). A lot of photographers don't have one, but after they get a visit from the IRS (in Romania is called different) they become interested in getting that licence. In my class I had a few photographers with 20 years of experience in shooting weedings. Before the exam simulation they were all confident and gave us, the "young generation", a lot of free technical "advices" in order to get good images. But after they took the exam simulation...surprises. They got 60 points or 70 points out of 100. Why? Because they developed in time a style of shooting (confortable to them) and got sticked to it. Nothing wrong with that, especially since they make a living out of their shooting style.

But, teaching others about photography is a different thing. I mean, shooting portraits on location (outdoor) with just one speelight can give you plenty of freedom to play with the light. But when you see the 20 or the 30 years experienced photographers with the speedlight mounted on the camera and pointed towards the model and telling to the model from time to time to say "cheeze" or "yes"...it makes you think that a flat light and a "fake smile" on the model's face it's all they can teach you (after their 30 years of photographic experience) about how to shoot a portrait.

The situation in the US is quite different re: photography.

And it's pretty easy to spot incompetent pilots regardless of testing or training, they're dead.

---------- Post added 11-13-16 at 11:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
IMO truly experienced people would be able to make a solid point without shoving their experience in everyone's face.

I can easily give examples of people showcasing their "experience", but making some ridiculous claims. And it's not necessarily that they lied about them being experienced... but:
- the experience might not be in a field relevant to the exact claim being made. For example, a photographer (because we're on a photography forum) might make a claim related to electric engineering (technical aspect of a camera/lens).
- you know the saying, "practice makes perfect" - well, that's wrong. Only good practice makes perfect; bad practice makes bad. Having "experience" doesn't automatically makes you an expert.
- even an expert can have a bad day, miss something, exaggerate completely losing any sense of perspective or otherwise make a false claim.
- it might be just a way of saying "I can't/won't support my claims, don't you dare to contradict me".

After all, we're talking about an argument from authority.

An argument from experience and authority is not as good as an argument from complete ignorance and arrogance. Everyone knows that.
11-13-2016, 11:28 AM   #123
Pentaxian

First warning sign, is when someone insists that he's an expert.
Second warning sign, is when he's implying that others (those who disagree with him) must be ignorant.
Do we need a third?
11-13-2016, 11:57 AM   #124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Of course experience in one role isn't directly portable into another role. That's not the topic here. If experience does not count, you could buy a 250 hours helicopter license in Panama, and fly off helicopters, we'll see your chance of survival versus former military pilots who have more than 10000 hours flying different helicopter models. Every year, I see newly hired engineers, some of them p*ss me off. They are super arrogant , and then they cry mother when their projects do not work, and that does not include a lot of mistakes that are not visible and pop-up a few years later. If you constantly learn for experience and if you have years of experience, you are very likely to out do inexperienced people, even if those less experienced people don't like this idea :-)
I never said that experience doesn't count. I said that the short answer is Yes and No. The long answer is complicated. You gave me an example with newly hired engineers. I give you an example of a young guy from my company with 1,4 years of experience in sales who is getting me more contracts than the other 2 colleagues of him with 9 and 12 years of experience in sales. 7 months ago, the 2 experienced guys told to Andrei (the new guy) that if he want to become a good salesman he must learn from them 2-3 years in order to know how to get big contracts. But now, if Andrei goes with one of them at a meeting, he's the one who lead the disscutions.

So, as I said, in my opinion, experience doesn't always guarantie you better results than a guy who has 1 year of experience but had a proper training and he also has talent. That's why I said that experienced photographers shouldn't start a discution with "I have 30 years of experience".

---------- Post added 11-13-16 at 07:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
And it's pretty easy to spot incompetent pilots regardless of testing or training, they're dead.
It's pretty easy to spot incompetent photographers also, starting with:
- their comments (more they comment, more easy to spot them)
- their portfolio
- the way they talk to a model
- etc.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 11-13-2016 at 12:33 PM.
11-13-2016, 12:19 PM   #125
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
So, as I said, in my opinion, experience doesn't always guarantie you better results than a guy who has 1 year of experience but had a proper training and he also has talent. That's why I said that experienced photographers shouldn't start a discution with "I have 30 years of experience".
Sure. Nokia had 15 years of experience of making mobile phones, and they got screwed by Apple and Samsung. It seems that having a lot of experience can also prevent to grasp paradigm shifts.

Anyway, the best is agility and continuous learning.
11-13-2016, 01:15 PM   #126

(For those who don't know me, I have been shooting weddings professionally for 30 years and this is about the 7500th wedding I've shot, so please factor that into understanding these comments. )
AT 7500 weddings, you are by far the most successful wedding photographer I have ever met. At nearly 5 weddings per week non-stop for 30 years you have more experience than a dozen of the rest of us combined. Is it possible you are wearing the K-1 out? By now you should certainly be able to afford a more industrial strength camera which would be more suited to this kind of heavy use. I doubt the Pentax line would be able to keep up with your schedule.
11-13-2016, 07:17 PM   #127
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Slash392 Quote
AT 7500 weddings, you are by far the most successful wedding photographer I have ever met. At nearly 5 weddings per week non-stop for 30 years you have more experience than a dozen of the rest of us combined. Is it possible you are wearing the K-1 out? By now you should certainly be able to afford a more industrial strength camera which would be more suited to this kind of heavy use. I doubt the Pentax line would be able to keep up with your schedule.

Owned a few studios with photographers on staff and yea, we blew through some weddings... So yea, I have not personally shot 7500 jobs, but I have been responsible for delivering that many (or more) over those 30 years.

To put it another way, if those jobs had not turned out, I was responsible for them.

By the way, what have you done professionally in photography? Seeing as you seem to want to call me out on my credentials I think it's only fair you inform us of your experience in the professional realm...

11-14-2016, 01:05 AM   #128
Pentaxian

Since the "this is about the 7500th wedding I've shot" is false by your own admission, I don't think you should ask anyone for credentials.
11-14-2016, 01:18 AM - 3 Likes   #129
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Let's cease the sniping and get back on topic.
12-01-2016, 06:56 AM   #130

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Well, the metering sensor 'resolution' is 45x30 (3:2) segments - ie 1350 segments in a 45x30 matrix, like so:

But in total there are 6750 data segments recorded by the chip: 4050 segments for the RGB (ie 3 X 1350 data segment blocks, one for each primary colour group) + 1350 segments for flash metering + another 1350 segments for slave flash metering.
It's interesting but how does it does correspond to the K-1's specification where it is said that the K-1 features an 86,000 pixel RGB CCD metering sensor?
12-01-2016, 06:31 PM   #131
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skyer Quote
but how does it does correspond to the K-1's specification where it is said that the K-1 features an 86,000 pixel RGB CCD metering sensor
I can't account for 86k precisely. The data recorded in the EXIF is comprehensive, but hard to figure out.

Specifically, the way the metering segments are recorded in the EXIF doesn't form an easy to read pattern. It would be great, for example, to find a single 3:2, 360x240 data array in the EXIF data, with each data point recording one pixel/ segment, neatly leading to 86400 pixels total. But the data isn't structured that way. Instead we get 5 x [45x30] blocks of data out of Exiftool.

I can literally 'see' the data from those 6750 metering segments in Excel, but I don't know how may pixels were involved in producing each data segment.

We know that as an RGB sensor, we should expect 3 pixels (R/G/B) to provide the data for each measurement. You can see from microscope images of RGB sensors (like the Chipworx image below from the 2k pixel Nikon D600 RGB metering sensor) that such sensors are laid out as striped arrays, with successive columns of red, green, and blue elements:

So in a crude way I might be able to account for 20,250 of the pixels (6750x3) in the Pentax RGB sensor. But without a similar microscopic scan of the Pentax sensor, and a better understanding of how the chip works, I can't precisely verify the 86k specification.
12-02-2016, 12:17 AM   #132
Forum Member

ALL K-1's are set to 1 minute sleep by default from the factory. So is the K3II, and K5IIs and neither of those cameras crap the bed upon waking up. (i.e. they wake up and focus fast enough to not miss the action.)
I also noticed this wake-up issue with my K-1, and here is my workaround: I press the shutter to wake up the camera, release the shutter, and press the shutter again to take the picture. If I only do one long shutter pressing, then it takes about 2s to take the picture. With my K5II, there is no delay when doing one shutter pressing to wake up the camera and take the picture.
12-02-2016, 01:12 AM   #133
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Remember, you also need to give time for SR to kick in, so be prepared, don't after twenty minutes just pull the camera up to your eye and snap, being hasty will be disappointing.

12-02-2016, 10:45 AM   #134
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ptitboul Quote
I also noticed this wake-up issue with my K-1, and here is my workaround: I press the shutter to wake up the camera, release the shutter, and press the shutter again to take the picture. If I only do one long shutter pressing, then it takes about 2s to take the picture. With my K5II, there is no delay when doing one shutter pressing to wake up the camera and take the picture.

Or you can also set it to not go to sleep, or a longer delay time before it does. Battery life isn't great, (compared to the APSC bodies) but it's not that bad.
09-05-2017, 06:13 PM   #135

The problem is with some lenses like 50mmf1.4 (as with mine) in low light and low contrast situations under LED lights or any flicker light, and focusing on a subject that is near by few cm's to another object. I bought my k1 tonight and quickly realized this problem and I was disappointed because this problem didn't happened with 15mmLtd on k1 and it didn't happend with my k5iis with both lenses.
Try to put any near object(specially the shiny ones) to the subject out of center circle and it will focus.
So its a weak point for this camera and that was not exist with any older pentax dslr.(shame!).
Live with it!