Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
09-05-2017, 09:16 PM   #136
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EmadD Quote
The problem is with some lenses like 50mmf1.4 (as with mine) in low light and low contrast situations under LED lights or any flicker light, and focusing on a subject that is near by few cm's to another object. I bought my k1 tonight and quickly realized this problem and I was disappointed because this problem didn't happened with 15mmLtd on k1 and it didn't happend with my k5iis with both lenses.
Try to put any near object(specially the shiny ones) to the subject out of center circle and it will focus.
So its a weak point for this camera and that was not exist with any older pentax dslr.(shame!).
Live with it!
?

What are we supposed to be afraid of, Emad?

This is 35mm f1.4:

09-06-2017, 11:47 AM   #137
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Live with it!
I do live with mine, very well, thank you. Mine works fine in low light situations.
09-06-2017, 05:35 PM   #138

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
?

What are we supposed to be afraid of, Emad?

This is 35mm f1.4:
Missing the shot that happens once in a lifetime!
Nothing else.
By the way I didn't return my camera back to the store.
At the end I'm one of the Pentaxians.
09-06-2017, 05:47 PM   #139
Veteran Member

The problem is with some lenses like 50mmf1.4 (as with mine) in low light and low contrast situations under LED lights or any flicker light, and focusing on a subject that is near by few cm's to another object. I bought my k1 tonight and quickly realized this problem and I was disappointed because this problem didn't happened with 15mmLtd on k1 and it didn't happend with my k5iis with both lenses.
Try to put any near object(specially the shiny ones) to the subject out of center circle and it will focus.
So its a weak point for this camera and that was not exist with any older pentax dslr.(shame!).
Live with it!
I dont normally shoot receptions at 1.4 because the narrow DoF and everybody is always moving around.. but I do think that the camera takes a little time to focus at very dim light .. it could be "fix" if the AF Assist Lamp could trigger faster..

09-06-2017, 05:51 PM   #140
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Missing the shot that happens once in a lifetime!
Nothing else.
Why couldn't you have taken the pic I took?
09-08-2017, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #141
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Why couldn't you have taken the pic I took?
Hmmm,..I am not sure that is a great example. The guy's face is not in focus, but his forward shoulder is
09-10-2017, 11:30 PM   #142

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Hmmm,..I am not sure that is a great example. The guy's face is not in focus, but his forward shoulder is
Yes, it wasn't the best example of AF accuracy ))
I've replaced my K-1's focusing screen with a split-image screen. Now the focusing (even AF) has become much more comfortable.

09-26-2017, 08:04 AM   #143
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by skyer Quote
Yes, it wasn't the best example of AF accuracy ))
I've replaced my K-1's focusing screen with a split-image screen. Now the focusing (even AF) has become much more comfortable.
I didn't realize you could replace K-1 screens. Wow! Interesting.
09-28-2017, 10:26 AM   #144

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
You've got to switch On the AF assist light. And on the K1, there is IMO a little bug in firmware regarding the light meter threshold used to switch On the assist light: there is a gap which does not exist on the K3 and K5II series. i.e on the K1, the AF assist light switches on when light levels are already too low for proper AF operation, and so there is a range of light level within which K1 fails to focus and when the light level goes down K1 is again able to focus... That's at least what I characterized after seeing several users complaining about low light AF. I believe it can be fixed in firmware... if Ricoh want to do it.
Interesting, I have just posted about this in a different thread, poor AF lock on with K1 in low light, whereas my K5 is fine. Noticeably the difference between the two is that the K5 is very quick to use the AF assist lamp, whereas the K1 refuses to use it until I point it at something really dark...
10-01-2017, 09:22 PM   #145
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alcvet Quote
Interesting, I have just posted about this in a different thread, poor AF lock on with K1 in low light, whereas my K5 is fine. Noticeably the difference between the two is that the K5 is very quick to use the AF assist lamp, whereas the K1 refuses to use it until I point it at something really dark...
Exactly... thats my only complain.. hope that they can fix this with some firmware update..
10-09-2017, 02:22 PM   #146
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I didn't realize you could replace K-1 screens. Wow! Interesting.
You are not supposed to, but some have done it. What I found more interesting was the assertion that AF was improved too. He must have a VERY special K-1

Steve
10-15-2017, 11:03 PM   #147

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You are not supposed to, but some have done it. What I found more interesting was the assertion that AF was improved too. He must have a VERY special K-1
Steve
Yes, I do have a special K-1, It even looks differently ))
What I meant by saying "Now the focusing (even AF) has become much more comfortable" is that now I see more clearly AF errors, so I can easily refocus and shoot only when I can see with my eyes that the focusing is correct, not relying only on the AF confirmation green dot.