Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2016, 04:04 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Promote Control for K-1

According to the Promote Control website, FW 3.29 is required for use with the K-1. It's good to see more 3rd party support for Pentax.

Promote Control adds advanced remote control capabilities for the Pentax K?1 DSLR camera | Pentax Rumors

Tas

10-16-2016, 04:15 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
According to the Promote Control website, FW 3.29 is required for use with the K-1. It's good to see more 3rd party support for Pentax.

Promote Control adds advanced remote control capabilities for the Pentax K?1 DSLR camera | Pentax Rumors

Tas
Tas, can it be used as a lightning trigger? I've always wanted to do lightning photography. Will work great now the K-1 has EFSC.
10-16-2016, 06:39 PM   #3
Tas
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
Tas, can it be used as a lightning trigger? I've always wanted to do lightning photography. Will work great now the K-1 has EFSC.
I can't see it mentioned in the text here: Promote Control - advanced DSLR remote control for HDR, Time-Lapse, Focus Stacking and more

If you're just after a lightning trigger this is the one I have and have used with my K5: AEO Photo Lightning Strike! MultiTrigger Pro 4.0 Lithium MT4PRO

It worked so well that I was able to combine 12 photos for the below image. I actually had to cull about 5 other photos from the stack, all of them and more were captured with the AEO unit.

I've not had the opportunity to use it on my K-1 yet, but it should work just as well as it did on the K5.

The timelapse would be a great way of capturing a storm if you think the Promote Control is more what you're after. It seems to offer more options for stacking, bracketing and HDR. The K-1 has a lot of these functions already, but with limitations compared to the Promote system.

Sorry I can't help other than that, but as the unit has been available for the 645Z prior to the K-1 maybe there's someone using one on the Z who can provide some feedback.

Tas
10-16-2016, 08:48 PM   #4

I use the Promote Control on the 645z and have just got started with the K-1.The Promote Control has a sensor port that accepts a 2.5mm stereo plug. Any sensor (sound, light, motion etc) that can output a signal will activate it. I use it with a Dynamic Perception Rail System for HDR/timelapses.

10-17-2016, 09:30 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I can't see it mentioned in the text here: Promote Control - advanced DSLR remote control for HDR, Time-Lapse, Focus Stacking and more

If you're just after a lightning trigger this is the one I have and have used with my K5: AEO Photo Lightning Strike! MultiTrigger Pro 4.0 Lithium MT4PRO

It worked so well that I was able to combine 12 photos for the below image. I actually had to cull about 5 other photos from the stack, all of them and more were captured with the AEO unit.

I've not had the opportunity to use it on my K-1 yet, but it should work just as well as it did on the K5.

The timelapse would be a great way of capturing a storm if you think the Promote Control is more what you're after. It seems to offer more options for stacking, bracketing and HDR. The K-1 has a lot of these functions already, but with limitations compared to the Promote system.

Sorry I can't help other than that, but as the unit has been available for the 645Z prior to the K-1 maybe there's someone using one on the Z who can provide some feedback.

Tas
Finally pushed the boat out an got a MIOPS Smart trigger with the C-2 cable to fit Pentax . . .

MIOPS | Smart Triggering For Creative Photography | Sound & Lightning Activated Camera Trigger | High Speed Time Lapse & Water Splash Photography

Now all I'll need is some lightning.

I'm hoping Pentax will one day introduce Automatic Focus Stacking (in RAW) in a firmware update.
10-17-2016, 07:00 PM - 1 Like   #6
Tas
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
Now all I'll need is some lightning.

I'm hoping Pentax will one day introduce Automatic Focus Stacking (in RAW) in a firmware update.
When I read this initially I thought you were hoping Pentax would introduce lightning.

Hey, that MIOPS system looks pretty cool, and certainly more flexible than a unit that does one or the other.

When you get some time with it I hope you do a review on how you've found it to use.

Tas
10-18-2016, 05:27 AM   #7
Pentaxian

When I read this initially I thought you were hoping Pentax would introduce lightning.

Hey, that MIOPS system looks pretty cool, and certainly more flexible than a unit that does one or the other.

When you get some time with it I hope you do a review on how you've found it to use.

Tas
Got delivered literally five minutes ago. Waiting on the C-2 cable and we should be good to go.