Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-21-2016, 12:27 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On K1 - Mechanical VS Electronic shutter question!

I've upgraded the software on my K1 to v1.30. I understand that I now have the option to choose to use either a mechanical or an electronic shutter when in live view.

I've read that some have reported blur due to mirror slap on the K1 when using the mechanical shutter between 1/15 to 1/100. Therefore, would you recommend using the electronic shutter when shooting the K1 in Live View at these shutter speeds?

Anyone do any comparisions of images shot at same shutter speeds on K1 using mechanical vs electronic shutters?

Would be very interested in hearing your K1 mechanical vs electronic shutter experiences!

Thanks

10-21-2016, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
With long focal length the difference is significant, with electronic shutter there is no mechanical motion at all, with mechanical shutter motion some torque is transmitted to the body and lens and it is visible. I guess this is less the case with the K3 because the shutter is smaller relative to body mass. With short focal length, the difference between e-shutter and mechanical version is much less noticeable and in some cases it is not possible to see any difference.
10-21-2016, 12:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I've read that some have reported blur due to mirror slap on the K1 when using the mechanical shutter between 1/15 to 1/100.
I've not read this anywhere. However, there was a weird mention of shutter induced vibration in the press release from Ricoh.
10-21-2016, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #4
farmerDavid

There is a thread about this and it was assumed to be because of the lightweight lense. I have it repeatedly with my DA35 2.4 if I'm a bit sloppy in the handling. A kind of double image. The efcs has completely eliminated it. I havent seen it with my A50 1.7 nor my brand new (to me) Takumar 135 2.5. The 35 is really lightweight.
David

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/326500-help...-28-105-a.html

10-21-2016, 03:27 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
One thing to remember when enabling the EFCS is that Shake reduction is disabled. The only time I would use EFCS is with a tripod so turning off shake reduction should not be a big issue. Just need to remember to turn back on SR when done...