Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
11-07-2016, 07:04 AM - 1 Like   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
All great comments and I appreciate y'all's feedback! I suppose that perhaps my issue with new the camera isn't so much a lack of lenses but my level of experience. I need practice with my current set of lenses and a willing participant. So I'll solicit a friend or two who has some patience, and who will allow me to get that practice. Great shots and thanks for all your feedback.

11-07-2016, 07:40 AM - 1 Like   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
great idea, you win the LBA battle, work on the technique/lighting and post-processing skill will improve your final photo tremendously !!!
If you need any to learn about technique/lighting/ideas/tips&tricks/photoshop... hop over the thread I made on must-read books
11-08-2016, 07:11 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
great idea, you win the LBA battle, work on the technique/lighting and post-processing skill will improve your final photo tremendously !!!
If you need any to learn about technique/lighting/ideas/tips&tricks/photoshop... hop over the thread I made on must-read books
This list itself might break my bank! Great list and thanks for turning me on to it! I've ordered a few books for reference. So thank you!
11-08-2016, 08:05 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lazarustx Quote
This list itself might break my bank! Great list and thanks for turning me on to it! I've ordered a few books for reference. So thank you!
You are welcome ! One step at a time, pick one book first, read one chapter at a time and practice to make sure you fully get it you might get overwhelm by the knowledge in this list (it's from many members' recommendation, so it covers almost everything : lighting, posing, shooting, retouching, composite...)
Have fun

11-08-2016, 02:07 PM   #50
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I'm surprised no one has suggested the Bower (Samyang/Rokinon) 8mm5 1.4. Pretty sure it's full-frame compatible and at the price it's well worth trying. I've hit some great images with it. Great pop, very dimensional, and really pleasing bokeh. Just because it's not expensive don't' assume the image quality is lacking. At less than $300 it's no risk at all to give it a try IMHO. Granted there's no autofocus but you wouldn't use that for portraits anyway. Personally I believe it will far exceed what you might expect considering the price.

EDIT: I see Redcat mentioned the also budget friendly but very well reviewed Samyang 135.
Second gatorguy's Samyang/Bower 85 1.4. I've compared it to every fast lens I have and it is stunningly sharp with buttery bokeh and strong contrast even wide open. It really pops. Factoring in its price It is truly exceptional and worth a try - hardly even counts as LBA at its price.

I have used it outside for promotional portraits (it is long on APSC indoors for most of what I do) -- the clients were absolutely thrilled. Only a small part of that is the lens versus any other 85, but I offer it as evidence that it should be able to satisfy any need despite its bargain price.
11-09-2016, 06:36 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
@Redcat...I'm a loser! I bought some books and a lens. The 77mm 1.8 Limited became available in the For sale section and I couldn't stop myself. I can't figure out if I should be jumping for joy or looking for a therapist (which I can't afford due to the purchase of all these items!).

Next is the FA 77mm 1.8 Limited full frame lens. This made in Japan lens is in excellent cosmetic condition, excellent near mint optical condition with no haze or fungus on any of the elements. I've included pictures of the lens as well. This piece will be an amazing complement to one of the new K-1 full frame bodies.
Included is the lens, front cap, plastic rear cap, and travel pouch original box and papers.

$690 shipped*********SOLD**************
11-09-2016, 06:51 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lazarustx Quote
The 77mm 1.8 Limited
Oh, this legendary lens, I can't blame you =)) I've one myself, and for portraiture it's a greaaaaatttt lens !!! I wrote a review about this lens, you made the right decision, with the 77mm you will concentrate more on your technique knowing that you already have the best tool, the only limit is now yourself

SMC Pentax-FA 77mm F1.8 Limited Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

11-09-2016, 11:02 PM   #53

I got the Samyang/Rokinon 85mm f/1.4. I thought about spending for the Mitakon f/1.2 but I really like this one and for less than half the price of the 77mm limited.
11-12-2016, 11:34 AM   #54
Pentaxian

I think you won't regret this choice.
I'm on a limited budget, and I did the same.
IMHO the price/performance ratio is unbeatable.
For €180 shipment included I bought a mint one, barely used. It's the first non UMC version, a bit less sharp, but also a bit less CA, it is said.
I privilege rendition over extreme sharpness, so the 77mm Limited should be perfect! Sharp enough, small, well made, AF, beautiful rendition, BUT...
I was going to click the Buy It Now button, but I realized I'm more budget-limited than into Limited lenses
As always happens, it's a matter of choices.
I could have bought a nice second hand silver sample, missing only the front cap, but I would have been broke.No way to buy anything else.
I decided to pass.
So for the same price of the Limited I could add two more lenses.
One I need :
a Samyang 14mm, brand new, UMC, €345 shipped.
And one I craved for :
an old 135mm f/1,8 in M42 mount, that with some luck could prove an interesting portrait lens with a kind of rendition quite far from today's optics (with the help of some PP to increase contrast).
I'm reporting about my personal choice because "portrait" and general use lenses are not the same thing.
There are plenty of opportunities on Ebay and from other sources. A simple Google search should give enough informations to go vintage with some knowledge.
I think it's a matter of personal choices, dictated by budget constraints and of course influenced by each own's photographic style and preferences.
According to the reviews, and considering my taste I should have gone for the 77mm Limited, but I have economic limits. Now I could never afford the A Star's I acquired time ago!
I had to choose. I wanted a new portrait lens, I liked a lot the 77, and I needed, for here and now, a super wide.
I privileged the latter, more rational consideration.
I had to renounce to AF though
Giving up AF isn't exactly easy if you're used to it.
Nevertheless I encourage the newcomer, or those new to the Pentax world, to find the informations on the Web, check the pictures that good photographers create with a certain lens, and have a look at eBay, looking for recent successful (green colour) sales.
There are so many non orthodox choices out there, you'll never know if it's good for you, or not, until you give it a try. At least once.

Cheers
Paolo

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 11-12-2016 at 12:15 PM.
11-12-2016, 12:36 PM   #55
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
I had to renounce to AF though
Giving up AF isn't exactly easy if you're used to it.
I have the Samyang 85mm and it's good.

If you didn't want to give up on AF, the DA70 is cheaper than the FA77 but FF as well.

11-13-2016, 05:03 AM - 1 Like   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I have the Samyang 85mm and it's good.

If you didn't want to give up on AF, the DA70 is cheaper than the FA77 but FF as well.
Personally renouncing AF isn't a problem at all, the more so for portraits.
I switched to Pentax on 1979, from a Nikkormat SLR.
To finance my first second-hand Pentax lenses i also sold a Zorki, with a nice set of russian lenses, that i extensively used in India on 1978, and a chinese copy of the Rolleicord (Seagull) that stayed with me (even on horseback, painfully dangling from my neck!) on a 1977 land trip from Europe to India, through Turkey, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan.
I had a cheap light meter... but i started taking pictures at the age of 10, all by myself, in a small city of north Italy, with a Bencini 4,5x6 with no rangefinder and of course no meter!
Time ago i found some of those B/W pics and i was amazed by how good they were... children are smart!
I wrote the previous lines, giving a few hints to where an when it all started, to try to explain my point of view.
It's the first time i do it, after many posts, cause it could be seen as pointless, silly bragging. Well, that's not my intention.
I find this thread about full frame "portrait lenses" extremely interesting.
I already posted my opinion about "portrait lenses". Very concisely: it is not about focal length, it's about rendition.
Portraits can be shot in many ways: from ambient portrait to a very tight one, showing just the face.
We can shoot with a 50/55mm, or even with a 150/180mm.
We can shoot with very sharp lenses, i've seen many wonderful B/W portraits of old people showing the finest details of a weathered face.
Though, as i've tried to explained in my previous post, a lens used to take portraits and a "portrait lens" aren't the same thing.
What makes a "portrait lens" different? Its rendition.
In my opinion, it should not be too sharp, nor too contrasty, render colours in a somewhat muted way, have a pleasant transition between in-focus and OOF, be fast enough to pleasantly blur the background, and have a nice bokeh (i.e. show pleasant circles of confusion in OOF highlights, due to the optical project and number/shape of diaphragm leaves).
Possibly it shouldn't be too big and intimidating. People should not be scared away!
Then there is the halo superimposed to the sharp image, but we're not talking "soft focus" here...

Why did i choose to buy the Samyang 85mm, and i would have been more than happy to go for the 77mm Limited?
Because wide open they meet, more or less, these requirements.
Why my A Star 85mm does not?
Cause it's too sharp. Many people think it is the sharpest film-era lens Pentax ever made, Limited's included (i know nothing about modern D FA* objectives).
The FA Star is different, AFAIK. Never tried one.

As a lover of manual focus vintage lenses, i chose to post about budget constraints, and non orthodox choices, because i see that most of the portraits posted by fellow forum users are posed.
For a posed portrait, or in general when there is time to carefully check composition and focusing, i'd suggest to go MF even with AF lenses.
It will be you who decides where to have the plane of focus, and what is left intentionally blurred.
Telling about my choice was not very much about the Samyang's, was more about the third lens i could buy.
I'm not going too in depth about that, this is not mflenses forum, let's just be general.
Let's just say that my first tests with good vintage lenses on my new K-1 have been very very encouraging.
I've posted a couple of pics, and i will post more, on the appropriate thread (i started it but it seems to attract very few posts).
This thread attracted my attention because portrait photography seems to be the perfect application for vintage glasses (specifically, for fast short tele's).

A few general hints, not just for the OP, also for future reference (the K-1 is a great camera, the firmware - good news! - is routinely updated, and i hope it will continue to sell well):
- use common sense
- take into consideration the many helpful hints given by other users
- Goggle is your friend, find the right keyword and increase your knowledge; look for actual pictures, not online reviews; check the average sale price (not requested prices!)
- don't overlook M42 glasses, for most portraits you'll have plenty of time to fit an adapter ring, and screw-in an M42 lens (go for Pentax or Hama rings, the chinese ones are awful)

Cheers

Paolo

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 11-13-2016 at 05:18 AM.
11-13-2016, 04:18 PM   #57
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
What makes a "portrait lens" different? Its rendition.
I think that Samyang is weaker than the FA*85, FA77 and DA70 as far as rendition goes, Paolo, so I'm a bit mystified by your choice.

In any case, this is now into the world of opinions.

11-13-2016, 07:41 PM   #58
Pentaxian

I think that Samyang is weaker than the FA*85, FA77 and DA70 as far as rendition goes, Paolo, so I'm a bit mystified by your choice.
I disagree.

In this comparison of some Pentax portrait lenses, I think the Samyang 85/1.4 has the best rendering.
11-13-2016, 08:36 PM   #59
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I disagree.

In this comparison of some Pentax portrait lenses, I think the Samyang 85/1.4 has the best rendering.

As someone who actually owns and has used both, I disagree, Class A.

Not even the guy who did the quite shaky comparison in that article agrees with you.

Feel free to buy one, though!
11-13-2016, 08:56 PM   #60
Pentaxian

Not even the guy who did the quite shaky comparison in that article agrees with you.
If I agreed with him, we'd both be wrong.

Feel free to buy one, though!
Another one?