Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2016, 08:23 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Mosaic Pattern while Viewing Pixel Shift Image.

Here is a screen grab of a mosaic pattern that shows up on my 1920x1200 laptop screen after editing an OOC PS JPG.

This is a 30 sec (2 min total) Pixel shift Image taken after sunset just to test and see what I could do.

The pattern is not evident when viewing the edited image full size, nor is it evident after resizing the image to screen size.

Anyone else ever have this issue?

Mosaic Pattern, on Flickr

10-23-2016, 09:20 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Could be due to changing lighting conditions over the course of the 2 monites. Not sure I'd ever use PSR outdoors for such long exposures.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-23-2016, 11:37 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Not sure I'd ever use PSR outdoors for such long exposures.
It seemed still, and I was interested to see how still. It actually turned out pretty good. But you can't expect miracles at 2 minutes.
10-24-2016, 12:17 AM   #4

I get this from Adobe Photoshop in PSD files, not always, and not from Pixelshift ... but only sometimes and it puzzled me but once saved as jpeg for web it gets away... I just tried saving it as jpg or png with a snapshot tool but it gets away... BTW, my squares are larger... (K-3 II)

10-24-2016, 03:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

If the light changes and it will change fast during dusk/dawn this is what happens. Speed of change translates directly to size of mosaic pattern. Seen this many times in my own images.
10-24-2016, 05:35 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rgknief60 Quote
Here is a screen grab of a mosaic pattern that shows up on my 1920x1200 laptop screen after editing an OOC PS JPG.

This is a 30 sec (2 min total) Pixel shift Image taken after sunset just to test and see what I could do.

The pattern is not evident when viewing the edited image full size, nor is it evident after resizing the image to screen size.

Anyone else ever have this issue?

Mosaic Pattern, on Flickr
You are saying that the Pixel Shift display is fine at full scale but when squeezed by displaying program it has problems? What program is being used to to display what you screen dumped? Is your graphics software up to date?

RONC
10-24-2016, 05:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

It is perfectly normal that at full size the tile pattern is not very visible as you are looking at a small portion of the image with only a few tiles.

10-24-2016, 06:48 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This is an interaction between doing PS while the light level is changing and the resampling algorithm that created the view on the laptop screen.
10-24-2016, 10:16 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rechmbrs Quote
What program is being used to to display what you screen dumped? Is your graphics software up to date?
Thanks to everyone who has been giving their input and suggestions as to why it happened. I sense it's not an out of the ordinary thing as some of you have also experienced it.

The display program is Faststone Image viewer. The focal length of the lens is 200mm. I was 15-20 feet away from the flowers. The graphics drivers are up to date,
in the sense that it is a almost 10 year old laptop.

If I process the DNG using DCU5, export it as a JPG, and then view it in Faststone, I don't see the pattern. I only see the pattern viewing the out of camera JPG, or in full size edits
of the original as you see above. It shows up more in the areas of the image that were darker to begin with.

If I resize and save the image to the height of my laptop (1200 pixels) there is no pattern.

I thought the pattern curious, as I had never run accross anything like this in the 8 years I've done digital.

Below is a crop of the image above. If there is any problem with mosaic in the full size image, I don't have the ability to see it.

No Mosaic Viewed Full Size, on Flickr
10-24-2016, 11:30 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks to everyone who has been giving their input and suggestions as to why it happened. I sense it's not an out of the ordinary thing as some of you have also experienced it.

The display program is Faststone Image viewer. The focal length of the lens is 200mm. I was 15-20 feet away from the flowers. The graphics drivers are up to date,
in the sense that it is a almost 10 year old laptop.

If I process the DNG using DCU5, export it as a JPG, and then view it in Faststone, I don't see the pattern. I only see the pattern viewing the out of camera JPG, or in full size edits
of the original as you see above. It shows up more in the areas of the image that were darker to begin with.

If I resize and save the image to the height of my laptop (1200 pixels) there is no pattern.

I thought the pattern curious, as I had never run accross anything like this in the 8 years I've done digital.

Below is a crop of the image above. If there is any problem with mosaic in the full size image, I don't have the ability to see it.

No Mosaic Viewed Full Size, on Flickr
Did you have movement compensation on in DCU and not the camera?

So DNG is good but JPG is questionable!

Display using Faststone for all?

What editor for resizing? Faststone?

How large are the blocks? 8x8 pixels? Look at JPG parameters in camera. Needs to be best which is largest.

I think the last line might answer why.

RONC
10-24-2016, 11:57 AM   #11

You have a strange sharp pixel-size pattern on the leafs. 2 pixel of that pattern at 50% magnification become 1 pixel. What pixel of pattern shoold it show? that happens at 33% magnification?
Try to blur your image. The pattern should disappear.
10-24-2016, 01:41 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rechmbrs Quote
Did you have movement compensation on in DCU and not the camera?
Thanks RONC. I had motion compensation on in the camera. DCU5 was set to "camera setting". I ususally browse/cull using Faststone with an occasional process to see if it's worth doing more in DCU, DCRawPS, Adobe PS or LR. I resized using Faststone. The blocks are 8x8 pixels in the 1920x1200 screen grab. I shoot RAW+ the highest JPG resolution. Checked K-1 and that had not changed. Just finished opening the original JPG in DCU, PS6 and PS3. They do not display the mosaic pattern. There is a fair amount of artifact all over the original dark parts of the image (the parts with the dark squares). The JPG output from DCU5 seems softer than the camera JPG.

So I think that my particular machine configuration, or as noted
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
the resampling algorithm that created the view on the laptop screen
or both must play into the issue.

It would seem that at least in some instances, that Faststone is not the best for viewing PS images, at least on my laptop.

Thanks for all the info, everybody!

Last edited by rgknief60; 10-24-2016 at 01:46 PM.
10-24-2016, 08:09 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This mosaic pattern has nothing to do with pixel shift. But it does happen occasionally when you downscale a high bit depth/high resolution image to a lower bit depth/lower resolution image. As the OP stated, it depends on the final image size and possibly the graphics program used to view it.
10-25-2016, 03:54 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jpeg settings

Thanks RONC. I had motion compensation on in the camera. DCU5 was set to "camera setting". I ususally browse/cull using Faststone with an occasional process to see if it's worth doing more in DCU, DCRawPS, Adobe PS or LR. I resized using Faststone. The blocks are 8x8 pixels in the 1920x1200 screen grab. I shoot RAW+ the highest JPG resolution. Checked K-1 and that had not changed. Just finished opening the original JPG in DCU, PS6 and PS3. They do not display the mosaic pattern. There is a fair amount of artifact all over the original dark parts of the image (the parts with the dark squares). The JPG output from DCU5 seems softer than the camera JPG.

So I think that my particular machine configuration, or as noted

or both must play into the issue.

It would seem that at least in some instances, that Faststone is not the best for viewing PS images, at least on my laptop.

Thanks for all the info, everybody!
I looked at what settings I have for jpeg in Faststone. Quality =100 color subsampling = off.
RONC
10-25-2016, 06:50 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
This mosaic pattern has nothing to do with pixel shift. But it does happen occasionally when you downscale a high bit depth/high resolution image to a lower bit depth/lower resolution image. As the OP stated, it depends on the final image size and possibly the graphics program used to view it.
Oh yes it does. When at least one of the four channel exposures gets a lot less/more light the end result is a failure. Mosaic/bandin is immediately apparent. Just try it out - take 30 second PS exposure and switch off the lights for 20 seconds at some point of the 2 minute sequence.