Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2016, 08:17 AM   #1

Software

What software in best To use with K1? Is Lightroom Cc sufficiente adequate?

10-25-2016, 08:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes indeed. Motion-correction (unless done manually by blending in Photoshop etc.) is a dead-end with Adobe converter right now. However, PS without motion correction works extremely well and you will be able to extract vast amounts of detail out of the file.
10-25-2016, 08:25 PM   #3

The latest DXO Optics will suffice. DXO is superior to DCU in IQ, user-friendliness and processing speed.
10-25-2016, 11:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Does it handle motion-correction? Would be interested to see the results.

10-26-2016, 02:17 AM   #5

Original Poster
software

Thanks for the answers, I'll try DxO
10-26-2016, 04:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blade Runner Quote
Thanks for the answers, I'll try DxO
I don't think DXO has any support for pixel shift and, more worryingly, I don't think they have any plans to support it.
10-27-2016, 03:30 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blade Runner Quote
What software in best To use with K1? Is Lightroom Cc sufficiente adequate?
Consider Capture One Pro 9. Has many advantages over Lightroom, such as much better colour editing. It doesn't support all of the extra features of LR (such as photobooks), but for RAW development purposes I would not want to go back to LR after having used C1.

10-27-2016, 03:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The included software is best because it is free and has the best support for PS. Gimp is pretty good for post-processing and also free.
That is, unless you have a different idea of 'best', but without knowing what you need it to be capable of it's hard to advise.
10-30-2016, 08:24 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Consider Capture One Pro 9. Has many advantages over Lightroom, such as much better colour editing. It doesn't support all of the extra features of LR (such as photobooks), but for RAW development purposes I would not want to go back to LR after having used C1.
I guess this is a silly position to take, but since Capture One refuses to support tethering for the K-1 (has gone out of its way to do so), I haven't looked at it closely. Does it have an equivalent to Lightroom's dehaze? I find I use that slider frequently in the Pacific Northwest.
10-30-2016, 09:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Does it have an equivalent to Lightroom's dehaze?
C1 v8 doesn't, and I am pretty sure neither does the current v9.

If dehaze functionality is important to you, DXO's 'Clearview' slider does an equivalent, and perhaps better job, IMHO that Lightroom's dehaze. (Adobe's 'Dehaze' is a clone of DXO's 'Clearview').

Last edited by rawr; 10-30-2016 at 09:46 PM.
10-30-2016, 09:47 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

If dehaze functionality is important to you, DXO's 'Clearview' slider does an equivalent, and perhaps better job, IMHO that Lightroom's dehaze. (Adobe's 'Dehaze' is a clone of DXO's 'Clearview').
That's good to know. I'm totally happy with my Lightroom + Photoshop plan, but I appreciate competition, too.
10-30-2016, 11:10 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If dehaze functionality is important to you,...
I don't know what Lightroom dehaze delivers. Sounds like it could be similar C1's Clarity Tool.

If you're interested in the philosophy and what C1 is all about you should read Sascha Erni's Book "Capture One PRO 9". You’ll be surprised what it can do and you'll understand that knowing internals and features of a complex software is hardly done by using it an hour or trial period.

Reading some good literature about it, looking at video tutorials and sticking with a software to get really familiar with it helps. This aplies to C1 and every other choice
10-30-2016, 11:45 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
I don't know what Lightroom dehaze delivers. Sounds like it could be similar C1's Clarity Tool.

If you're interested in the philosophy and what C1 is all about you should read Sascha Erni's Book "Capture One PRO 9". You’ll be surprised what it can do and you'll understand that knowing internals and features of a complex software is hardly done by using it an hour or trial period.

Reading some good literature about it, looking at video tutorials and sticking with a software to get really familiar with it helps. This aplies to C1 and every other choice
C1's Clarity Tool sounds like Lightroom's Clarity Slider. Indeed, it sounds like they're incomparable: Phase One and Leaf-Mamiya Official User to User Forum ? View topic - Dehaze equivalent?
10-30-2016, 11:49 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
It's more like a combination of C1's Contrast, Clarity and Structure sliders, as others have discovered.

In this area, C1 needs to do some catch-up with LR and DXO, since dehaze is a very handy capability to have packaged into one simple slider. (I've had C1 since v6).
10-31-2016, 12:10 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's more like a combination of C1's Contrast, Clarity and Structure sliders, as others have discovered.

In this area, C1 needs to do some catch-up with LR and DXO, since dehaze is a very handy capability to have packaged into one simple slider. (I've had C1 since v6).
ok, maybe - I never missed such a function. Guess it's simply all about what we expect and how we use different tools in combination. Many roads lead to Rome guided by philosophy and perception.