Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-26-2016, 02:12 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
Definitely an opinion piece. No way any kind of review. I'm working on it... You could call it "Preliminary Impressions."
What happened with Fuji, with Damien Lovegrove, with the need for a camera with a little weight so it can be carried for 8-12 hours at a wedding? K1 with a 24-70mm weights 3-4 times more than Fuji.

What happened with the negligible difference in image quality between full frame and APS-C cameras?

What happened with the difference in price, weight and size between APS-C cameras/lenses and full frame cameras/lenses?

What happened with the need of just 12-16mp to get the job done at a proffesional level?

What happened with the idea to skip a full frame body and make the jump to medium format if you want to see a difference in image quality if you comming from an APS-C body like K3?

You bought a K1 because it's cool, or do you need one? I get it if you bought a K1 because it's cool and you wanted to have one, but buying a K1 for getting the job done at weddings...well, let's say that it's contradictory with your entire philosophy from the last past months.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 10-26-2016 at 05:27 AM.
10-26-2016, 04:42 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Some like the tilting screen and some like the flipping screen. Pentax gave the k-1 some useful lights, some like it and some don't. Some like the additional dial, some don't. Opinions differ. Do you like your k-1? Go out, tske pictures and enjoy it. Forget the comments of others.
10-26-2016, 05:47 AM   #18
Pentaxian

"Nobody really needs it
Please don't forget to specify the source: Fujifilm marketing machine
10-26-2016, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #19
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
You bought a K1 because it's cool, or do you need one? I get it if you bought a K1 because it's cool and you wanted to have one, but buying a K1 for getting the job done at weddings...well, let's say that it's contradictory with your entire philosophy from the last past months.
but the K1 is cool and I wanted it so I bought one.

and... he said he just bought it because its cool.

10-26-2016, 06:43 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wait for my real "review!"

In a nutshell, Pentax has succeeded in creating a camera (most) nobody needs and (most) everybody wants. (That's a good place to be!)

The review is going to be short: "The K1 is a 36mp FF K3 for under $2,000 USD. Just buy one already." However the discussion will be longer: "Nobody really needs it, (with a very few exceptions) everybody wants it, and lots of people are having nervous breakdowns trying to justify buying it. (When it really needs no more justification than they just want it.)"

So to sum up, FF is still just not as needed, but the K1 is cool and I wanted it so I bought one.

---------- Post added 10-25-16 at 10:27 PM ----------

That's a really good point I had not considered! Thanks!

---------- Post added 10-25-16 at 10:32 PM ----------

That's a really good idea.
Don't forget to compare the SR to the K 3's and your thoughts on the HD 15/21...please.
10-26-2016, 09:27 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
What happened with Fuji, with Damien Lovegrove, with the need for a camera with a little weight so it can be carried for 8-12 hours at a wedding? K1 with a 24-70mm weights 3-4 times more than Fuji.

What happened with the negligible difference in image quality between full frame and APS-C cameras?

What happened with the difference in price, weight and size between APS-C cameras/lenses and full frame cameras/lenses?

What happened with the need of just 12-16mp to get the job done at a proffesional level?

What happened with the idea to skip a full frame body and make the jump to medium format if you want to see a difference in image quality if you comming from an APS-C body like K3?

It's cool and I wanted one.

The difference is still negligible.

The price of the K1 makes it attractive, the size and weight are still a bummer. That's why I mostly shoot the K3II with 21/35 LTD's at weddings.

I shot the K1 at the last wedding on M Jpeg. That's 22mp's. No need for 36 at all for this work and even 22 is too much. I shot the formals with the K1 on a tripod. The rest was shot with K3II/K5IIs.

Medium formats great if you need it. Even less people need MF than there are people that really need FF.

So no contradictions at all...

---------- Post added 10-26-16 at 10:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
Don't forget to compare the SR to the K 3's and your thoughts on the HD 15/21...please.

Sorry to say, I don't rely on SR much. Most of the time I have it turned off. At weddings I always have a Metz 52 AF-1 flash unit on a Stroboframe Quickflip. And for landscapes I'm always on a tripod. Taking pictures of my dog in the house the SR seems to work fine on both cameras, which means I have no idea if one is better than the other...

As for the 15mm and 21mm, yea that's interesting. The K1 has no equal to the 15mm in current production. The FA 31mm LTD is the 21mm for the K1, but it's a different breed. the 21 is pancake the 31 is fast prime. I'm actually going to go 15/21/31/43/77, just waiting for the sales this holiday season to fill in the gaps. My primary system is still the K3II/K5IIs with the 15/21/31/43/77, and the K1 gets the 24-70 and 31/43/77.

I think the 15-30 is awesome for what it is, but not something I would add to my system. All I really want is 20mm 2.8 and a 70-200 F4 for my K1 landscape rig. Right now landscapes are K3II with 15/21/24-70/55-300 and using the K1 from 24-70.

Weddings are K3II with 21/31/77 mostly, but the 24-70 (35-105 FF) is almost the perfect APS-C wedding lens! (Except for the size and weight! )

Last edited by Qwntm; 10-26-2016 at 09:43 PM.
10-27-2016, 12:37 AM   #22
Pentaxian

It's cool and I wanted one.
<thumbsup>

The difference is still negligible.
I shot the K1 at the last wedding on M Jpeg. That's 22mp's.
Hmm... maybe those two could be related?

10-27-2016, 04:19 AM   #23

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is only 2 things I don't like about the K1.
1. Not having the small display showing the parameters set by the smart dial/function dial. It could having been on a 10 second timer then revert to the main display info.
2. The plastic cover on the strap lugs. I am sure these would eventuall rub and damage the black paint of the body. I have swopped mine for the traditional ones, taken off my K5.

Jeff
10-27-2016, 10:52 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by screwdriver222 Quote
There is only 2 things I don't like about the K1.
1. Not having the small display showing the parameters set by the smart dial/function dial. It could having been on a 10 second timer then revert to the main display info.
2. The plastic cover on the strap lugs. I am sure these would eventuall rub and damage the black paint of the body. I have swopped mine for the traditional ones, taken off my K5.

Jeff

I replace the plastic strap lugs with the leather covers and rings that come with the Domke Gripper strap.

Domke 1" Web Camera Strap with Swivel Quick Release 741-1BK

(I am not sure if this link provides Pentax Forums credit if you buy through it, so use it for informational purposes only )

I like these straps because they are thin, strong, somewhat stay on your shoulder, and get in the way the least. The leather covers and rings have never damaged any of my cameras and I have used these for over 20 years.

---------- Post added 10-27-16 at 11:57 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
<thumbsup>

Hmm... maybe those two could be related?

No, not really. There is a quality difference when shooting landscapes that you can see at 100% viewing and in 30x40 inch prints, but it's a negligible difference.

The K1 is 2nd kind of cool. Just because it is. No justification needed.

The 1st kind of cool that it has, (because of what it does and how it does it) is the <$2000 USD price point for a 36mp FF camera. If you need a 36mp FF camera for not a lot of cash, then you are justified under 1st kind of cool rules. Everyone else just wants it because its 2nd kind of cool, like me.

Last edited by Qwntm; 10-27-2016 at 10:58 AM.