Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-25-2016, 11:20 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Squares Club: let's talk 1:1, shall we?

The K-1 is a gift that keeps on giving. The Photokina announcement of new firmware bought an answer to the wishes I've expressed here since the K-1 was a rumor. Why not use a VF overlay to visually indicate different format shapes? Going all the way back to my first adjustable printing easel, I've never been limited by standard aspect ratios. Growing up in the Late 8x10 Brovira Era, the 4:5 proportion just looks like "art" to me, while the standard 2:3 DSLR format looks clunky. It's not really wide like a panorama, but held vertically it's too long for me to sustain a composition. So I've usually been squaring off my digital images; they just look better that way.

The new 1:1 Crop option reminds me how happy I was with my old twin-ens Rolleiflex. Square is such an powerful format. It's so symmetrical and focused on one central point that any asymmetry you place within it creates tension and dynamism. In a portrait, the nod of a head becomes a sweeping gesture. The usual Rule of Thirds is suspended, but placing three objects with a square has an implicit power of its own.

Yes, you can go home and crop a full 2:3 image to square. I've been doing that for years, but isn't it better to see the composition within the square before exposure, when key decisions like viewpoint and focus are set in stone.

I'd love to see how others are using the square format with their K-1s. On my last few artsy walks with mine, I've been spinning the third control dial, set to CROP, to see how a scene looks in FF, 1:1 and even crop. I've taken about an equal number of rectangles and squares, and usually liked the square better. Here's one example shot with the 43 Limited, no DR, just normal LR shadow lifting. An uncropped FF version is also presented for your consideration. I think it's a nice photo, but the square seems more concise and powerful.

What do you think? Is it hip to see square?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by Wheatridger; 10-25-2016 at 11:22 PM. Reason: spelling
10-26-2016, 01:37 AM   #2

Thanks for calling this feature to my attention! I had some fun years ago with the twin lens Yashica Mat, my first Medium Format film camera.
10-26-2016, 02:54 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I love the square 1:1 format... all images are stitched and then cropped.

Last edited by RAART; 10-26-2016 at 05:20 AM.
10-26-2016, 04:27 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I always keep the square format in mind when considering a shot. It's useful for eliminating distracting elements, and I just like it aesthetically. I think it presents well when hanging on a wall.

10-26-2016, 08:03 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatridger Quote
An uncropped FF version is also presented for your consideration. I think it's a nice photo, but the square seems more concise and powerful.
I prefer the square picture. This could be because I saw it first, but I think it is more because the composition is different, not just the crop, and the square one has a more even background, which offsets the foreground tree more. In the second photo, the background is less even, and the sun, and the distinct sky gaps on the left and right draw attention away from the tree, to the detriment of the overall image.
10-26-2016, 11:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatridger Quote
The K-1 is a gift that keeps on giving. The Photokina announcement of new firmware bought an answer to the wishes I've expressed here since the K-1 was a rumor. Why not use a VF overlay to visually indicate different format shapes? Going all the way back to my first adjustable printing easel, I've never been limited by standard aspect ratios. Growing up in the Late 8x10 Brovira Era, the 4:5 proportion just looks like "art" to me, while the standard 2:3 DSLR format looks clunky. It's not really wide like a panorama, but held vertically it's too long for me to sustain a composition. So I've usually been squaring off my digital images; they just look better that way.

The new 1:1 Crop option reminds me how happy I was with my old twin-ens Rolleiflex. Square is such an powerful format. It's so symmetrical and focused on one central point that any asymmetry you place within it creates tension and dynamism. In a portrait, the nod of a head becomes a sweeping gesture. The usual Rule of Thirds is suspended, but placing three objects with a square has an implicit power of its own.

Yes, you can go home and crop a full 2:3 image to square. I've been doing that for years, but isn't it better to see the composition within the square before exposure, when key decisions like viewpoint and focus are set in stone.

I'd love to see how others are using the square format with their K-1s. On my last few artsy walks with mine, I've been spinning the third control dial, set to CROP, to see how a scene looks in FF, 1:1 and even crop. I've taken about an equal number of rectangles and squares, and usually liked the square better. Here's one example shot with the 43 Limited, no DR, just normal LR shadow lifting. An uncropped FF version is also presented for your consideration. I think it's a nice photo, but the square seems more concise and powerful.

What do you think? Is it hip to see square?
I concur, good Sir.
10-26-2016, 11:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Please somebody post 100% crop samples with 15mm ltd. F/8 is good. If it works in 1:1 mode it could be worth trying.

10-26-2016, 11:33 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm really liking the square mode as well. third dial is almost always set to 'crop'.