Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2016, 04:33 AM   #16
Forum Member

Equipment should be the least of your concerns. Bad results are more often than not caused by user errors. Any current dslrs can produce top notch results in skill hands; this statement has been true for many years. K-70 is a good start or better still a used K-S2/K-5IIs/K-3II and Sigma 17-50 and Pentax 55-300.

10-28-2016, 05:05 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It can be a beginner camera if you leave it in auto mode. But, frankly, there are cameras out there that do a way better job in auto mode than an advanced DSLR meant for manual user inputs.
Why do you associate beginners with auto mode? Anyone who wants to get into photography should start learning how to do proper exposures in various modes, we shouldn't encourage people to use auto mode just because they are beginners.
10-28-2016, 05:42 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I would not recommend K-1 to anyone for learning anything because first thing what happens is a question what does this moving thing on the back of the camera do (tilt screen mechanism). Next question will be about all those quick-setup icons and their functions once the quick-setup is accidentally opened. All those goodies break the concentration.

Last edited by Parallax; 10-28-2016 at 08:25 AM.
10-28-2016, 06:00 AM - 1 Like   #19

I think a lot of people here are missing the point. Yes a K-70 should probably the max anyone should go as a beginner. But if the OP is already looking at the K1 then they are probably not going to be 100% happy with anything else. My summary of best advice i've seen here so far is either just go for it or else buy the cheapest second hand dslr you can find with a kit lens ($150) use it for a couple of weeks/months and then decide. Things to also factor in when buying a camera is all the extras. especially for landscape, bags, tripods, nd filters, you could easily drop another $1000 for all of that.
I think though going middle of the road like K70 when you are looking for the best is the worst thing you could do, because that isn't cheap and you'll want to upgrade within 6 months. I'd say the same about lenses, the 18-135 is a nice little walk around lens but its not the cheapest and you'll want to upgrade all those focal lengths after a while.
K70 (I'd actually advice K3/ii instead) and 18-135 is the right choice for someone who is happy with something quite good (or if thats all you can afford). If you are always going to be looking for the next best thing then you are better off getting that to start with, it'll work out cheaper in the long run.

10-28-2016, 06:11 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The K-1 is a whole lot of camera for the money.

Whether it's a good camera for a beginner depends on the type of person you are:

If you like mucking about, pushing different buttons, trying this, trying that, then the K-1 will probably be a disaster because you'll unwittingly and frequently put the camera in strange modes with unexpected or undesirable behavior.

If you like carefully learning each control, reading the manual, learning photographic fundamentals, and paying careful attention to exactly what you are doing, the K-1 will be awesome.
10-28-2016, 06:33 AM - 1 Like   #21
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Advanced cameras like the K-1 allow a budding photographer room to grow into it.
It can be set to be as simple or as complex as the photographer wants it to be.
Advanced APS-C cameras are quite similar, but there is no substitute for a FF viewfinder. The experience is what makes the craft more enjoyable, young and old, newbie or pro.
If the funds can be spared/justified, K-1 is an excellent choice.
Even better are the lenses to be paired with it.
10-28-2016, 06:35 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
c) Beginner and entry level cameras have slightly fewer buttons and features, which makes it easier for you to figure out how to use them. The advanced cameras have all of these, and some more. So there is a sensible progression, and you won't get overwhelmed by the many buttons and options on a beginner camera. The learning curve is steep if you start out with the most sophisticated camera and lenses. Some people don't mind, but others might get discouraged
I have friends which has been difficult to understand and learn all the important features because they are hidden in menus. I think it is better to have all the most important adjustments in buttons and wheels. Those are easier to learn and remember than adjustments hidden in menus.

10-28-2016, 06:45 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Get the K1 if you want a camera that you will still be using years from now. Learn on it, knowing that a lot of initial shots will look like crap (I cringe when I look at my early stuff). Use all the modes. Keep coming here for advice. Enjoy!
10-28-2016, 06:46 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Uhhuh yes. Basic controls that should be physically available for direct control are exposure time and aperture. Entry line DSLR bodies often have only one dial.

It is easy with K-1 to accidentally put camera into multiexposure mode or exposure delay mode, or pixel shift mode or astrotracer without calibration or...<insert the accidental function here> buy just poking around. Then the head scratching begins.
10-28-2016, 06:48 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ambie Quote
I've been wanting to get into photography and after tons of research, I have narrowed it down to Pentax. After reading about the K-1, I am really impressed. It seems like the #1 camera for landscape, which is what I'm most interested in (well that and wildlife/bugs) and really good for everything else! The K-1 is definitely stretching my budget but I want a camera that will last for a really long time. Is it worth getting or is the K-70 better for me?
There is nothing wrong with using the K-1 as a beginners camera. It is definitely a camera that you can grow into. If you really want to learn then all you need is a manual mode with spot metering and the desire. If you shoot landscapes the K-1 is probably the best camera you can buy.
10-28-2016, 07:00 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I see no reason whatsoever that it would not be great for a beginner.

If you decided to start Target shooting, you would get the most accurate rifle you could afford.

Have Fun

Eric
10-28-2016, 07:09 AM   #27
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you have the money for the K-1 and a couple of lenses to match, I say go for it. The K-1 is a fantastic camera and there is nothing like a great challenge. And as FantasticMrFox said, don't use auto mode.
10-28-2016, 07:17 AM - 3 Likes   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll throw in my $.02 worth here as well.

I have been shooting for about 4 years now and am on my second body, a K-3, my first being a K-30. The folks here are correct, the first couple of thousand photos you take are going to be garbage, and its going to be frustrating. VERY frustrating. What made me happy, or at least helped me through those first couple thousands pics ( I am still working through them btw :-)), is that I didn't spend a huge sum of money to get started. In retrospect it was probably the best thing I could have done and honestly the only reason why I upgraded was because I got a real bad case of Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

Buying a less expensive camera body in the beginning also helped to justify the cost of better glass later. As others have mentioned and I will confirm, better glass makes for much better photos. Now don't misunderstand me, you still need technique and a good eye but if you have good glass that can render a scene the way you see it with your minds eye, it will make your introductory period into photography an much happier experience.

I will also tell you this, some of my favorite photo's that I have taken over the last 4 years are from my time with the K-30 and budget glass. They just have a nice "feel" to them. I will also tell you that the K-30 was far more forgiving on things like slightly missed focus, and motion blur. The additional megapixels of the K-3 (and as will be with the K-1) made me rethink, and put some serious work into my technique due to the higher resolution and resulting issues with blurred shots and missed focus. It was almost like going back to square one.

So after a very long winded and anecdotal response (thank you for sticking with me till the end btw) I suggest buying a less expensive body first, the K-70 is a great option. The K-S2 is as well especially if you can find it used. Use the addtional funds to purchase some good glass. I would suggest biting the bullet now and buy full frame glass especially if that is the direction you plan on going in the future. Use that combo to practice and obtain good photographic techniques (how to hold the camera, where to put your arms, how to use a tripod etc...) as well as develop your photographic eye.

Also, spend some time here on the forum, they have great tutorials for things like exposure, and the rule of thirds. Get on you tube and look for the classes offered by Adorama and B&H photo. They have videos from a few minuets to an hour and half about technique, glass, exposure and its components, camera operation and the like. I have spent many hours watching these and they have been a tremendous help in understanding how to get the "look" I want consistently and intentionally instead of getting that "look" accidentally.

I would also heavily suggest that you search the forums for crop sensor (DA series) glass that can produce a full frame image (create a full frame image circle) as the DA glass is less expensive, but when you get some shots undter your belt and upgrade you can take it with you and shoot in full frame mode instead of crop mode.

I hope this helps.

---------- Post added 10-28-16 at 07:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Why do you associate beginners with auto mode? Anyone who wants to get into photography should start learning how to do proper exposures in various modes, we shouldn't encourage people to use auto mode just because they are beginners.
True, but if (like me when i first started) they have never used a DSLR before and they only know the point and shoot type of camera, it can be hard enough to learn how to focus, what all those lights and numbers are in the view finder, and how to look at you pics when you take them, and not get frustrated. Throw in manual only control and it cant get really disappointing really fast. Then people just toss the camera on the shelf and never look at it again.

At least with auto mode you can take a "Decent" picture, then ask yourself "Well thats nice but why is the background so sharp" and from there learn what each component of the exposure triangle does to the picture and what artistic effects it can impart to the picture itself. At least that is how I learned.

Last edited by W.j.christy; 10-28-2016 at 07:29 AM.
10-28-2016, 07:24 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It really depends. With unlimited funds I'd go for it, but if your budget would mean sacrificing on lenses, then no, get the K-70. General rule of thumb is spend money on glass first since glass will last pretty much forever. Camera bodies will be replaced by something better every 2-3 years. K-1 and DFA 28-105 will run about $2200-2300. For that you could start with a K-70, maybe a 2nd hand 18-135 (something you could sell later if you go FF), and spend the rest of your budget on a couple of FF primes (FA77 and maybe a 50mm, or FA35) that will be usable whichever way you go later. Someone suggested the DA10-17, which I have and is a lot of fun but vignettes heavily on the K-1, but is a good ultra-wide option.
10-28-2016, 07:26 AM   #30
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by W.j.christy Quote

At least with auto mode you can take a "Decent" picture, then ask yourself "Well thats nice but why is the background so sharp" and from there learn what each component of the exposure triangle does to the picture and what artistic effects it can impart to the picture itself. At lease that is how I learned.
Yep, use auto mode, go through the pics you like the best, and then check out the parameters and try to manually duplicate them or even adjust them.