Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43 Likes Search this Thread
10-28-2016, 01:00 AM   #1

Is the K-1 good for a beginner?

I've been wanting to get into photography and after tons of research, I have narrowed it down to Pentax. After reading about the K-1, I am really impressed. It seems like the #1 camera for landscape, which is what I'm most interested in (well that and wildlife/bugs) and really good for everything else! The K-1 is definitely stretching my budget but I want a camera that will last for a really long time. Is it worth getting or is the K-70 better for me?

10-28-2016, 01:31 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had such fun with my first DSLR, it was Pentax Kx. It was an entry level DSLR but it produced images way above it's price class. I learned a lot and eventually sold it and purchased a better body.
Didn't really improve my skills or images but it's nicer to have more control and handling.

I honestly think K-70 is the best possible option if you want to get into photography with Pentax. It supports all the latest technologies and the image quality is amazing.

For the price difference, you can get some really nice lenses to go with K-70, while if you buy K-1 you will have to invest a lot more money into decent lenses.

K-70 + 18-135 WR = $896 at BH now (this is a great WR kit )
+ Pentax 100mm 2.8 Macro WR (for bugs) $547
+ Pentax 10-17 Fisheye (fun lens) $447

total $1890

While on the other hand:

K-1 (body only!) is $1947

It's up to you to decide how much you want to spend as a beginner. You can always sell this body and lenses later and buy K-1.
10-28-2016, 01:34 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by ambie Quote
I've been wanting to get into photography and after tons of research, I have narrowed it down to Pentax. After reading about the K-1, I am really impressed. It seems like the #1 camera for landscape, which is what I'm most interested in (well that and wildlife/bugs) and really good for everything else! The K-1 is definitely stretching my budget but I want a camera that will last for a really long time. Is it worth getting or is the K-70 better for me?
The K1 is one of the best professional cameras out there. Is that the right camera for a beginner? The most obvious answer is NO! But having said that my advice would be to go for it if you can afford it. There aren't all that many differences in how you use a beginner camera compared to a professional camera so there wont be much steeper of a learning curve. If you find its not for you after a year or two you should be able sell it without losing too much anyway. If you buy the beginner camera or even the K70 and you like it all your ever going to want to do is upgrade to the K1 anyway. I would say though that to get the most out of the K1 you will need to buy some good lenses too, your talking about at least the price of the camera again there.
10-28-2016, 01:53 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It can be a beginner camera if you leave it in auto mode. But, frankly, there are cameras out there that do a way better job in auto mode than an advanced DSLR meant for manual user inputs.

I'd recommend starting with a simpler camera so you can learn the basics. The K-S2 comes to mind for that.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-28-2016, 02:00 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forum and kudos to you for doing tons of research. Conventional wisdom is that a beginner would get an entry-level DSLR like the K-S2 and after hitting the ceiling with itʻs capabilities, upgrade to a more advanced model like the K-70. And unless you have an unlimited budget, your funds are best spent on quality lenses more than a more advanced camera.

Personally, I went through many SLRs over many years before I felt I deserved, earned, and could ʻappreciateʻ the privilege of using a "flagship" model. So as a self-described ʻbeginnerʻ is it worth for you to get the top of the line Pentax K-1 or the middle of the line APS-C K-70? Both cameras will last you a long time; the question is more will you outgrow the K-70 because of your passion and quick growth in photography? My gut answer is no; the K-70 will give you many years of quality images and capability before you may start to hunger for a full frame or even medium format DSLR.

Since the K-1 would stretch your budget, youʻd be much better off with a K-70 and more or better lenses. If you really think you might quickly outgrow the APS-C sensor on the K-70, then consider buying FA full frame lenses instead of DA crop sensor lenses. And remember that all this gear are just tools; invest in time to shoot and experiment, take a course and learn to really use Lightroom or Photoshop, get a decent P-TTL external flash unit, and buy a decent tripod and learn how it can expand the possibilities.
10-28-2016, 02:05 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
the K-70 will give you many years of quality images.
K-30 and k-50 had known issues (aperture something or other) mine only lasted one and bit years before giving up. Will the k-70 be different?
10-28-2016, 02:14 AM   #7

Yes. You will learn photography once and forever. You won't have to buy several to the K-1. (Sorry, English is not my native language)

10-28-2016, 02:36 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by markcphoto Quote
K-30 and k-50 had known issues (aperture something or other) mine only lasted one and bit years before giving up. Will the k-70 be different?
I can imagine after having the aperture block failure in less than two years on a K-50 would make one seriously concerned with another entry level Pentax DSLR, but I cannot imagine Pentax engineers ignored this known component issue and replaced it with the K-S2 and K-70 models.

So yes, I have complete faith that the K-70 is not the same as the K-30/K-50 models.

I have followed the recent surveys showing the incidents of the aperture block failure relative to time and shutter counts. Part of me wonders if there was a correlation to other factors such as specific lenses, voltage or amperage differences from AA lithiums vs. the standard rechargeable unit, etc?
10-28-2016, 02:40 AM   #9
Pentaxian

A lot depends on your current level of expertise. If you have sufficient knowledge for making informed decissions, you do what you see fit. But you are obviously a bit ambivalent and consider youself a beginner.
The K-1 is definitely one of the more capable instruments on the market at the moment. But would I recommend it for someone with no background in photography and using DSLR´s? Not necessarily.
It usually takes a bit of time, effort, and practical experience to form an understanding of what kind of photography suits you, and what sort of gear suits this best. Therefore I often recommend buying a second-hand mid-level body to start with. After using it for a while you know much better what your needs are. Financially this is also the easier approach: if you keep the body for a year or so, the drop-off in price won´t be too big.

Last edited by PePe; 10-28-2016 at 02:47 AM.
10-28-2016, 02:46 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Would you buy someone a Ferrari to learn to drive? Save your money now on your first DSLR, learn to use the camear and learn how to create photographs, in a few years upgrade, if necessary, as your skills and interests grow.

Since you say you are getting into photography, I'd encourage you to buy a less expensive camera and learn the craft of photography, spend some after that unspent money on classes or books about the basics of photography and the type of photography that interests you .

This is why Pentax is a great choice, it offers the fully manual option for aperture, shutter, and ISO, the three legs of the triangle for creating photos. I agree with those who recommended going with the K-70 and the 18-135mm lens, (since you mentioned bugs the 100mm Macro would be a great second lens) This is a lens and camera package designed to work together, so you can concentrate on learning how to use the camera.

IMO, you could buy any number of good quality, slightly used cameras and lenses here on PF, and save even more money. I own a K-5, which was the top camera in its day, and it still takes first rate photos, you could probably pick one up used for ~$300. I've bought more used lenses on PF in the last two years than' I've bought new anywhere else, and I have never been disappointed.
10-28-2016, 02:57 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When starting to learn photography, less is more. I cut my teeth on a simple, sturdy workhorse; the K-1000 back in the mid 1980's. When I went digital back in 2007 a K-100D Super was the right fit as a learning tool - it was the "little camera that could" and delivered great results. A couple of years ago I decided to upgrade to the next tier - choosing a K-5II as prices were dropping with the introduction of the K-3. This made my budget go further and I had more money to spend on superb glass (buying 3 HD DA Ltd pancakes)! I always prefer to spend a little less on the camera body when possible and more on lenses. Lenses stay with you for a long time and will be used with several camera bodies over the years. Using high quality glass on an entry level or mid-tier camera will produce better images than blowing the budget on a camera body and shooting with pedestrian lenses.
10-28-2016, 03:54 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't see a problem learning with a top of the line camera like the K-1. My first DSLR was the K-5. I doubt the K-1 would present more of a challenge than the K-5. Before that, my first camera was an SFX, when an SFX was the top of the line Pentax film camera.
If you can afford it, go for it. Otherwise, get something cheaper. It's the same with getting into cycling for me. I started with a secondhand bicycle but quickly realised that if I wanted to get serious about the sport, I needed to spend some money and get the right tool. No different with cameras really, in my view.
10-28-2016, 04:18 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

The K-1 is definitely stretching my budget but I want a camera that will last for a really long time. Is it worth getting or is the K-70 better for me?
Hey, welcome to the forums!

The K-1 is a superb camera, for sure. But here are the reasons not to get it as your first camera:
a) Your first 10000 photos will be bad, regardless of camera. So people that buy a very expensive camera often get angry, "why isnt this camera giving me National Geographic quality photos??". This is why buying a cheaper camera for the first year or two is more economical. You can still sell the cheap camera to get some money back, and upgrade to the top tier camera sometime later. And in that time,the top tier camera might get a lower price or maybe the next generation will be released, so you get an even better camera

b) Lenses are very important. If you spend everything on camera and don't get lenses, then you will be very limited. It is better to get a cheaper camera and some great lenses, than to get an expensive camera and a poor lens. Lenses hold their value better than cameras, and if you buy intelligently, you can use all your great lenses on your next camera, as well (where they will be just as good or better)

c) Beginner and entry level cameras have slightly fewer buttons and features, which makes it easier for you to figure out how to use them. The advanced cameras have all of these, and some more. So there is a sensible progression, and you won't get overwhelmed by the many buttons and options on a beginner camera. The learning curve is steep if you start out with the most sophisticated camera and lenses. Some people don't mind, but others might get discouraged

That said, Pentax doesn't really make cheap, beginner cameras. Pentax' entry level is actually a little higher than many of the competition's cheapest offerings. You get lots of features and good image quality even from K-50, K-S2, and now the K-70. Pentax is affordable, but not cheap. If you compare the cheapest Pentax DSLR to the cheapest DSLR of the competition brands, you will notice the Pentax is most solid, has good texture, good features. Many of us on the forum came to Pentax like that - after handling the competition

I have not had the chance to try the K-70. It is really new, so there are very few reviews. But from the specifications and the limited reviews I have seen it seems like a great camera. The K-S2 is an interesting camera, as well.

Tl;dr: Get the K-70, spend the difference on some great lenses. Check out threads for wide angle and landscape lenses so you know which one and how much they cost. But if you insist, if you really want it, if you held it in your hands and loved it, then you can go ahead and get the K-1. Its a good camera, no doubt about it

Last edited by Na Horuk; 10-28-2016 at 04:24 AM.
10-28-2016, 04:19 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
It's the same with getting into cycling for me.... quickly realised that if I wanted to get serious about the sport, I needed to spend some money and get the right tool.
I used to think cycling was an expensive hobby until i took up photography. I think i've spent more on camera stuff in the 4 years or so since i started than the 25 years of cycling.
10-28-2016, 04:26 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Go for it! You've done your research and you should get the best you can afford. You'll love it and have no regrets. (I have the K-5II, top of the line at the time and its a workhorse that doesn't let me down!)