Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-07-2016, 11:42 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
I hate when you guys come to the airport(grubby, dirty and unkempt).
I drove down for my first year. It was pretty cool to watch people parachute into the event, though.

11-07-2016, 01:21 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I hate when you guy's come to the airport(grubby, dirty and unkempt).
Are you kidding?
... at the airport?
Grubby, dirty and unkempt?

Cheers

P
11-07-2016, 01:34 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
Are you kidding?
... at the airport?

Cheers

P
Well, Black Rock City does have its own airport...

11-07-2016, 01:51 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Hahaha, i couldn't believe when i first saw it
It's a very special place. And a photographer's goldmine!
i'm proud, in a strange (kind of silly) way, that my US marriage certificate reads "Black Rock Desert"

cheers

P

11-07-2016, 04:41 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
Are you kidding?
... at the airport?

Cheers

P
The cars look like they've been a storm and the luggage is covered in mud(attendees don't look much better).
11-08-2016, 03:37 AM - 1 Like   #21

Original Poster
Would you use bicycle tires on a BMW?
Car analogy, really?
First of all, I wouldn't buy a BMW. Secondly: proper analogy would be " Would you use regular tires instead of all terrain tires on your BMW when you drive on roads?"

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
3rd party grip is not as bad as some think. I had one for my K200D, and bought the real deal for my K5, both works.
Indeed. The overall quality and feel don't match original (had two K-3's, one with original and one with 3rd party grip) but besides that I have nothing to complain.

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
there are 3rd party batteries for Pentax, so maybe you just need a spare battery, they are very cheap and good quality compare to the original one. Change battery only takes 5 seconds, unless you use your K1 in vertical position in every session, I'd say the grip is not mandatory (but maybe it's just me )
Only thing for me that requires a battery grip is a full day wedding documentary shoot, everything else I can do without.

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
You took non-WR lenses to Burning Man and brought them back safely? You have my respect.
WR is not really that important IMHO in dry conditions, I have taken non WR lenses through various adverse conditions without any mishaps and occasional rain too. If my gear got wet I wiped the surface dry and after shoot placed lenses&bodies in a bag with towel and silica gel. Most of all my cameras and lenses are just tools and I use them as such, of course ruggedness is important but a battery grip is not something I find essential to have WR or supreme quality in finish.

This is taken in a snowstorm, 45min exposure, K-7 and Tamron 17-50/2.8

And on a side note: From third party battery grips to burning man, siderailed much?
11-08-2016, 12:09 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've been waiting for the same thing.. I used to have a 3rd Party grip with my k5ii, and it worked great, nothing to complain... with my K3, i got an original grip, and it also worked great.. the main thing here IMO is if your working conditions will require WR or not... in my case, I dont "really" need WR and thats why a 3er party will work great for me. OTOH, the price for the original grip compared to the Nikon and Canon grips is really good.

11-09-2016, 07:29 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
I've been waiting for the same thing.. I used to have a 3rd Party grip with my k5ii, and it worked great, nothing to complain... with my K3, i got an original grip, and it also worked great.. the main thing here IMO is if your working conditions will require WR or not... in my case, I dont "really" need WR and thats why a 3er party will work great for me. OTOH, the price for the original grip compared to the Nikon and Canon grips is really good.
I would use regular tires when I drive on roads.