Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2016, 06:35 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Still no 3rd party grip for K-1?

Tried searching around for a cheap grip buy no dice.
I don't need the grip nearly enough to justify the price of the original.
Anyone got hints?

11-05-2016, 06:38 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Drinkkeri Quote
Anyone got hints?
I haven't seen a third-party grip yet. At least in the U.S., the price of the grip when bought with the body ($110) seems fair.
11-05-2016, 03:01 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The price of the Pentax D-BG6 Battery Grip is currently $220. The Nikon D750 battery grips runs $350 and the Canon 5D III costs $275. Again, Pentax gives us the lowest price for an equivalent item.

I have bought Vello third-party grips for other DSLRs and have had problems with them right around the end of the warranty period. Yes, for $75-90 each, you could buy two or three, but there is nothing more annoying than having a grip that stops working, sometimes only intermittently, while in your zone shooting. After it fails on me once or I get another one replaced via warranty fail on me after a year, I just lose trust in the quality control.

Iʻve bought other Vello products, like remotes and sync cords, and theyʻve been fine, so I donʻt mean to disrespect everyone that uses them and havenʻt had any issues. Just sharing my experience with Vello battery grips on Nikon DSLRs.

Because I havenʻt seen Vello or other 3rd party grips for other Pentax APS-C DSLRs, I wouldnʻt hold my breath that they will develop one for the K1.
11-05-2016, 03:04 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
The price of the Pentax D-BG6 Battery Grip is currently $220. The Nikon D750 battery grips runs $350 and the Canon 5D III costs $275. Again, Pentax gives us the lowest price for an equivalent item.

I have bought Vello third-party grips for other DSLRs and have had problems with them right around the end of the warranty period. Yes, for $75-90 each, you could buy two or three, but there is nothing more annoying than having a grip that stops working, sometimes only intermittently, while in your zone shooting. After it fails on me once or I get another one replaced via warranty fail on me after a year, I just lose trust in the quality control.

Iʻve bought other Vello products, like remotes and sync cords, and theyʻve been fine, so I donʻt mean to disrespect everyone that uses them and havenʻt had any issues. Just sharing my experience with Vello battery grips on Nikon DSLRs.

Because I havenʻt seen Vello or other 3rd party grips for other Pentax APS-C DSLRs, I wouldnʻt hold my breath that they will develop one for the K1.
It's a significantly better value if you can buy it with your K-1 ($110).

11-06-2016, 03:23 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
It's a significantly better value if you can buy it with your K-1 ($110).
But I didn't because there was no such kit available at the time. I'd rather spend 50€ for the grip and rest of the 290€(yes, this is what the grip costs in here) in something else.
11-06-2016, 10:06 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
With a bit of luck and patience, now that more Pentaxians may be getting a grip with their K-1 purchases, you may find one for sale used. Although the cost of camera equipment may be cheaper in the US, I pay way more for real necessities like health care and education than in Scandinavia.
11-06-2016, 11:24 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Anyone got hints?
Would you use bicycle tires on a BMW?

11-06-2016, 01:00 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
Would you use bicycle tires on a BMW?
Com'on!
There is no paragon.
I hope you're joking.
I would happily buy a cheap third party grip/battery holder for my new K-1.
I own two. One original Pentax for the K200D. One super-cheap (less than 30 euros) for the K-5 II.
The only major difference between the original and the cheap copies is WR.
Then, the K200D needs it much more cause runs on AA batteries. With the grip i can have 8 Eneloops. Which give a substantial working time.
Personally i use grips to double the battery charge. That's 90% of their worth. Then they can be a nice counterweight with long heavy lenses.
I've almost never used the second shutter button.
Are the original ones better built? YES
Is the difference in price matched by a better usability, or any practical advantage? NO, not in my experience.
If i need WR i detach the grip, plug the rubber cover, and i'm done. Fast and easy.
I abused my cheapo grip in any possible way, and it still works as the first day.
The only thing that looks really fragile is the insert for AA batteries. I never used it, but it stayed in my bag for long. Every time i opened the bag i was afraid to see it broken in two. It never happened!

BTW, i know of cheap third party grips with intermittent functionality of the shutter button, or badly assembled.
No suprise, the materials are cheap and there is practically no quality control.
I'm just saying that this is not the rule. And that there is no risk to go for the tangent ploughing the fields at the first curve...

cheers

P
11-06-2016, 01:59 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
Is the difference in price matched by a better usability, or any practical advantage? NO, not in my experience.
If i need WR i detach the grip, plug the rubber cover, and i'm done. Fast and easy.
I take it you've never taken a camera to Burning Man? ;p

I had to ration my K-30's batteries because it was just too dusty to fiddle with the AA adapter anywhere. I'd much rather just have a battery grip that will let me take photos for a week.

All that said, I don't begrudge you wanting a 3rd party grip, just that there are real situations where having a weathersealed grip is nice.
11-06-2016, 02:31 PM   #10
Veteran Member

3rd party grip is not as bad as some think. I had one for my K200D, and bought the real deal for my K5, both works.

I am afraid, that K-1 sale is so low that 3rd party doesn't bother to make one for it because there is "no market".
Like Sigma not making K-mount lens for most of its ART lenses.

Its not a good thing.
11-06-2016, 10:43 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
I am afraid, that K-1 sale is so low that 3rd party doesn't bother to make one for it because there is "no market".
3rd party grips for the K-3 took some time to emerge after the camera was released, but they did come. A K-1 D-BG6 clone might only be a matter of time.

Especially as it seems the K-1 grip isn't vastly different from the K-3 [D-BG5] or even the K-5 [D-BG4] grip, so 3rd parties may be able to re-use some of their K-3/K-5 grip bits to economically make a K-1 grip.
11-07-2016, 02:31 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Oh, a pentaxian burner!
I did, i did
My american wife is a long time aficionada...
Can't say i had the guts to bring a recent body, cause i had non weather sealed lenses.
I had no K-1 at the time, i used the K200D with original grip, that is on permanent loan to her now.
With some ingenuity, and leaving the stuff stored in a safe place during dust storms, i even managed to keep 99% of the powdery dust out of my non-WR lenses.

Even in extreme conditions, it is the grip itself that can eventually fail, not the camera.
After all, not such a heart-shattering perspective, isn't it?

cheers

Paolo
11-07-2016, 02:56 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Tried searching around for a cheap grip buy no dice. I don't need the grip nearly enough to justify the price of the original. Anyone got hints?
there are 3rd party batteries for Pentax, so maybe you just need a spare battery, they are very cheap and good quality compare to the original one. Change battery only takes 5 seconds, unless you use your K1 in vertical position in every session, I'd say the grip is not mandatory (but maybe it's just me )
11-07-2016, 07:18 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
Oh, a pentaxian burner!
I did, i did
My american wife is a long time aficionada...
Can't say i had the guts to bring a recent body, cause i had non weather sealed lenses.
I had no K-1 at the time, i used the K200D with original grip, that is on permanent loan to her now.
With some ingenuity, and leaving the stuff stored in a safe place during dust storms, i even managed to keep 99% of the powdery dust out of my non-WR lenses.

Even in extreme conditions, it is the grip itself that can eventually fail, not the camera.
After all, not such a heart-shattering perspective, isn't it?

cheers

Paolo
You took non-WR lenses to Burning Man and brought them back safely? You have my respect.
11-07-2016, 11:36 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I had to ration my K-30's batteries because it was just too dusty to fiddle with the AA adapter anywhere. I'd much rather just have a battery grip that will let me take photos for a week.

All that said, I don't begrudge you wanting a 3rd party grip, just that there are real situations where having a weathersealed grip is nice.
I hate when you guy's come to the airport(grubby, dirty and unkempt).