Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-04-2018, 08:57 AM   #16
Unregistered User

Soooo. Waking up this thread again since I now are on my third DFA*70-200. They have replaced it twice since I started this thread. My second lens was really nice until it started to show the same problems. They gave me a new and after a couple of days waiting for good light I went out and got 70% OOF images. It acts the same and the left side is less sharp than the rest of the image when shooting @70mm

They are now offering the money back or wait for a long time while Japan takes crack at lens nr 2.

Does anyone else experience any problems with the K-1 + DFA*70-200 combo?

05-04-2018, 09:15 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I have the same camera/lens combination, and it is frighteningly sharp and accurate at all focal lengths. Simply astounding.
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Same for me.
Me too. On K-1 and KP everything is faster and perfectly in focus in LV, with the proviso that managing camera-selected focus point can be somewhat random.
05-04-2018, 09:22 AM   #18
Unregistered User

I did test a good copy a couple of weeks back just to verify that my copy was faulty. So there are good copies out there.
05-04-2018, 09:30 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Not likely, because if three copies of the same lens have the same problem, it is your camera's fault and if a significant portion of all K-1's (say 5%) have this same problem with this lens this forum would have been all over this defect. The DFA 70-200 has a larger aperture than your DFA 150-450, which coupled with some kind of out of spec operation of your camera's AF system is the most likely cause in my non-expert opinion.

05-04-2018, 09:36 AM   #20
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Not likely, because if three copies of the same lens have the same problem, it is your camera's fault and if a significant portion of all K-1's (say 5%) have this same problem with this lens this forum would have been all over this defect. The DFA 70-200 has a larger aperture than your DFA 150-450, which coupled with some kind of out of spec operation of your camera's AF system is the most likely cause in my non-expert opinion.
I also have had three camera bodies to combine the lenses with.
05-04-2018, 09:44 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did test a good copy a couple of weeks back just to verify that my copy was faulty.
Nothing manufactured is 100% identical from one copy to the next, but it more likely that this "good" copy is slightly out of spec in a way that works better with your camera than the first three you tried. The odds of getting three copies with the same fault over a two year period, when your problem seems to be rare, are too small to be worth considering. I would be very interested to hear what Japan discovers about your second copy.
05-04-2018, 10:10 AM   #22
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Nothing manufactured is 100% identical from one copy to the next, but it more likely that this "good" copy is slightly out of spec in a way that works better with your camera than the first three you tried. The odds of getting three copies with the same fault over a two year period, when your problem seems to be rare, are too small to be worth considering. I would be very interested to hear what Japan discovers about your second copy.
You did understand that I also have had three different camera bodies aswell? Not one body with three lenses but three bodies and each have been together with two of the lenses.

It is not unheard of that a whole batch has been "infected" with a problem. The DFA*70-200 I tested the other week was sold in Japan.

My DA*16-50 had a strange fault that led to the discovery of a problem that made Pentax re-program hundreds of those lenses in Europe.

So, yes I expect someone else to also have the problem. The same way that I was not the only one with having lost connection between K-1 and DFA150-450 and DFA*70-200. But very rare.

Well, yes I am curious on what the results in Japan will say.

05-04-2018, 01:12 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You did understand that I also have had three different camera bodies aswell?
I didn't see this post until I had submitted my last reply. I have seen photos you have posted on this forum and I am 100% certain that the photographer is not the problem, but there are several variables involved and the problem does not always occur (in fact you stated that everything is fine to begin with, then the problem crops up). It might never be possible to determine the cause of your problem for the first three times, but if you get your hands on a lens that works as expected, make sure you don't let it get away! I really hope you get a good result in the end.
05-04-2018, 01:49 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Yes indeed I purchased in Sept 2017. It was my fault that I procrastinated testing. Finally I tested it last month and found decentering (right-side is blurry). It happens at 200mm and F8.

Check out this thread.
Uneven sharpness in DFA 70-200mm - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

Here are samples

They are now offering the money back or wait for a long time while Japan takes crack at lens nr 2.
My lens is in Japan for repairing. If they offer money back to me. I will accept right there
05-04-2018, 01:57 PM   #25
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxfall Quote
Yes indeed I purchased in Sept 2017. It was my fault that I procrastinated testing. Finally I tested it last month and found decentering (right-side is blurry). It happens at 200mm and F8.

Check out this thread.
Uneven sharpness in DFA 70-200mm - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

Here are samples

My lens is in Japan for repairing. If they offer money back to me. I will accept right there
The left side has been the blurry one for me on the first and third lens. The second one has been good in that regard. I will check out the thread you linked to.

Thanks.