Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
11-10-2016, 12:59 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I have a K1 so I get the best tech updates for free, but it's too bad that non K1 owners can't benefit of those free updates.
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
there's a simple answer to that...
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
yes, that's "buy a K1 and you'll get the free updates"
That's flawed. It isn't a free way to get the best tech updates. It's a paid way ; )

I'd pay a fee for additional non-bug fix firmware features for the K-3. Essentially if Ricoh wished to offer a for pay feature set to bring the K-3 up to the K-3II features for KAF4 and Pixel shift etc. I would be happy to consider it depending on the cost. Obviously some features only work due to hardware and could not be offered and some are too simplistic to get much money for if they charged. But the idea of adding some features for a fee on top of the maintaining of function as bugs are found is a viable model from where I sit.

11-10-2016, 01:01 PM   #32
Unregistered User

I always found that Pentax gave a bunch of updates during the lifetime of the camera. Starting with K10d...
11-10-2016, 01:38 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I'd pay a fee for additional non-bug fix firmware features for the K-3. Essentially if Ricoh wished to offer a for pay feature set to bring the K-3 up to the K-3II features for KAF4 and Pixel shift etc. I would be happy to consider it depending on the cost. Obviously some features only work due to hardware and could not be offered and some are too simplistic to get much money for if they charged. But the idea of adding some features for a fee on top of the maintaining of function as bugs are found is a viable model from where I sit.
Yes, that could well be an viable model. Especially when I see how little is the change of performance between a K30, K50, K500, K70, but the bodies are different I guess there is a lot of waste of product line adaption spending and cost of inventory for each model, while the difference could be the software. They could have only one camera model on each format, and some variants of features via differences in software (only speculation since I'm not a camera maker).
11-10-2016, 01:57 PM   #34
Pentaxian

It's an interesting tactic - especially if it is indeed on-going - very nice for owners, but with the obvious drawback as far as Ricoh is concerned that all the reviews will have been done prior to these firmware updates - stability updates and bug fixes are one thing - new features are another - but any making a great camera better is fine in my books
Well, it's not like they're holding back the new versions - it's either this, not adding features via firmware updates, or postponing the camera until it's "perfect".
Any experienced software developer can tell you that waiting until software is "perfect" is the same as never releasing it.

11-10-2016, 02:26 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Well, it's not like they're holding back the new versions - it's either this, not adding features via firmware updates, or postponing the camera until it's "perfect".
I'm certainly not complaining, but if this is true, then that's (at least) two serious multi-factor upgrades in functionality within the first year - it just strikes me as a new approach - if they become known for it, then it's good marketing, but it means that the manual gets out of date quickly, even if the reviews are updated - so it has features not mentioned in the manual that comes with it, that new purchasers might not know about or be alarmed at (Dear Pentax Forums, my screen has gone red - how do I get this fixed!). Again, no complaints from me, just potential drawbacks for the approach.
11-10-2016, 03:06 PM   #36
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
For me, new or different functions/features for my K1 tool.. bring it on.

If I can use 'em great, if not... someone else out will find them handy I'm sure.
11-10-2016, 03:08 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do what Panasonic does basic manual is printed, advanced features is on cd and downloadable.

11-10-2016, 03:13 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Perhaps going for multiple feature-adding firmware updates would allow camera manufacturers to slow down the product replacement cycle, which wouldn't be a bad thing.
11-10-2016, 05:21 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Do what Panasonic does basic manual is printed, advanced features is on cd and downloadable.
Yuck!

I like having the paper manual in my hands, not having to bust out the external cd drive, being able to take it with me to a shoot if I'm still learning a camera...

Yeah, yeah, I keep the PDF on my iPad too. I wouldn't mind if they updated that one. Or if the Pentax ebooks guy updated his.
11-10-2016, 05:45 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Just thinking that all these nice features could have been available when the K-1 shipped. It would have received wildly different reviews among picky pricks such as myself. Bulb-timer. ES option, nightvision and white-dot-free product can directly take on A7R2 and win thanks to pixel shift (when usable). Now the only question remains where to get shiny new lenses for it. But anyway, after these features I am happy enough to continue hunting for used Zeiss 15mm .ZF2 and 21mm .ZF lenses to convert with Leitax instead of switching back to Nikon or Sony.

Mr. Kenspo could you please bash it to their thick skull that night-vision should be available via custom button shortcut to be usable enough?

Last edited by MJKoski; 11-10-2016 at 05:53 PM.
11-10-2016, 06:42 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Yuck!

I like having the paper manual in my hands, not having to bust out the external cd drive, being able to take it with me to a shoot if I'm still learning a camera...

Yeah, yeah, I keep the PDF on my iPad too. I wouldn't mind if they updated that one. Or if the Pentax ebooks guy updated his.

The reality is that the latest manuals from Pentax don't hold a candle to what they used to be.
11-10-2016, 06:52 PM   #42
Pentaxian

(at least) two serious multi-factor upgrades in functionality within the first year - it just strikes me as a new approach - if they become known for it, then it's good marketing
Good marketing, to make up for "lack" of marketing!...Ricoh are simply following what some of the other manufacturers are doing.2017, they may catch up on the prime lens front?

---------- Post added 11-11-16 at 12:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Just thinking that all these nice features could have been available when the K-1 shipped
Probably not, they weren't developed.....if they had of waited they would have missed revenue for 6 months which I imagine has made them really happy! The primes aren't ready yet,what revenue have they missed there?
11-10-2016, 07:01 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
I want to get in there... Just to listen...

You understand Japanese?
That's very cool
Because,the development department is in Tokyo.
11-10-2016, 07:46 PM   #44
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The K-1 is probably selling so well that all this is worth the effort

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-10-2016, 09:45 PM   #45
ogl
Banned

I remember the famous firmware for K10D - 1.10
Latest K10D Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING