Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2016, 04:13 AM - 2 Likes   #1

Firmware update 1.4 (?)

While browsing around on Swedens (probably) largest internet vendor for photographic equipment (Cyberphoto.se) I came across news that there's a firmware update 1.4 for the K-1. However, there's no information regarding this on Pentax/Ricoh homepage yet. A rumour or just prematurely released?

Anyway, here's the English translation:

- Red-Light function for LCDscreen-helps the photographer when working in dark environments because itprevents the pupil constriction.
- Bulb Timer allows photographer toextend exposure time up to 20 minutes when photographing celestial objects orFireworks.
- Noise reduction processing forwhite dots.
- Generally improved software forstable operation

11-10-2016, 04:47 AM   #2

too impressive to be true. =)
11-10-2016, 05:04 AM   #3
Unregistered User

It says "Today Ricoh releases a new firmware for the K-1 (version 1.40) ..."

So I will expect these improvements to come in the new FW. Good Ricoh, really good. What the white dot noise reduction is will be interesting to find out.

CyberPhoto - Firmware Pentax K-1

---------- Post added 11-10-16 at 01:13 PM ----------

Just confirmed that FW 1.40 is in the pipe with above additions.
11-10-2016, 05:14 AM - 4 Likes   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is funny because someone in another thread literally just asked if we might see the night vision option added through firmware

It would make sense for the flagship to have all the incremental features launched in lower models while it is current, hardware permitting. Since the K-1 likely won't see a successor for quite a while, supporting it via firmware makes sense (and this is certainly new territory for Pentax, who previously seems to have been very cautious with firmware updates, likely to avoid discouraging users from upgrading to a newer body).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-10-2016, 05:29 AM - 5 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A new firmware is currently in test mode.
But I don't think it's ready till today
11-10-2016, 08:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Any luck in getting them to re-activate Sensor Shift in Video?
Or get the HDMI to output recordable HD at 24, 25 and 30 fps?

No point me buying a new Pentax till those are fixed, which is a shame because that LCD would be amazing for video, and we all know the Stills side is great.
11-10-2016, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
In ongoing survey, most desired feature seems to be automatic AF adjustment "bracketing". Would be awesome to get it.

11-10-2016, 09:01 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Reed Quote
In ongoing survey, most desired feature seems to be automatic AF adjustment "bracketing". Would be awesome to get it.
Wait, is that for something like focus stacking? That would be incredible!

---------- Post added 11-10-16 at 08:02 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This is funny because someone in another thread literally just asked if we might see the night vision option added through firmware

It would make sense for the flagship to have all the incremental features launched in lower models while it is current, hardware permitting. Since the K-1 likely won't see a successor for quite a while, supporting it via firmware makes sense (and this is certainly new territory for Pentax, who previously seems to have been very cautious with firmware updates, likely to avoid discouraging users from upgrading to a newer body).
Yep, that was me Adam. This is a great sign of things to come. Now they just need to update the Wifi sync app and I'll be very happy.
11-10-2016, 09:07 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/330681-vote-here...requested.html

Here is the thread with survey
11-10-2016, 09:28 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fuzz4brains Quote
Firmware update 1.4 (?) While browsing around on Swedens (probably) largest internet vendor for photographic equipment (Cyberphoto.se) I came across news that there's a firmware update 1.4 for the K-1. However, there's no information regarding this on Pentax/Ricoh homepage yet. A rumour or just prematurely released? Anyway, here's the English translation: - Red-Light function for LCDscreen-helps the photographer when working in dark environments because itprevents the pupil constriction. - Bulb Timer allows photographer toextend exposure time up to 20 minutes when photographing celestial objects orFireworks. - Noise reduction processing forwhite dots. - Generally improved software forstable operation

True or not, that possible. By definition software can be indefinitely modified. With OS plateform based software, one can improve the current K1 firmware, add or remove features etc... IMO , firmware update is a better option for product life extension versus making "mark II" version of a similar camera because software release cost a lot less to distribute and there is no inventory involved.
11-10-2016, 09:36 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
True or not, that possible. By definition software can be indefinitely modified. With OS plateform based software, one can improve the current K1 firmware, add or remove features etc... IMO , firmware update is a better option for product life extension versus making "mark II" version of a similar camera because software release cost a lot less to distribute and there is no inventory involved.
There are a lot more reasons to do so. It generates goodwill among customers and allows the company to keep a product fresh even while its costs to manufacture decrease. The problem is that Pentax has always been conservative with firmware updates in the past, so this was...unexpected.
11-10-2016, 09:48 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fuzz4brains Quote

- Noise reduction processing forwhite dots.

This is most exciting to me.
11-10-2016, 10:03 AM   #13
ogl
Banned

5:4 and 4:3 crop mode could be funny
11-10-2016, 11:04 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'll love to have the "night vision" display ( reds, blacks ) in a new firmware... also the focus peaking color line to be able to change from white/red/green/bue ... and perhaps dont know if having an Assit Lamp sensitivity adjustment could be possible, I feel that sometimes at really dim places it takes a while to focus and having the Assit Lamp with a low sensitivity will trigger it faster and makes it a lot easier for auto focus.

Last edited by kooks; 11-10-2016 at 11:50 AM.
11-10-2016, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

As i said many times..There is a lot of stuff going on behind closed doors