Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2016, 02:00 PM - 1 Like   #1

Darktable with Pixel Shift

I know that Darktable doesn't support pixel shift yet. But I'm wondering if anybody has been working with the DT team to put it on the TODO list or not. I'm only working on Linux and PDCU doesn't work well with wine so it's a PITA to work with PS images. In fact that's why I have none PS images to date.

If nobody has started the conversation with the DT team I'll see if I can get a few PS RAWs to the team and give it a kick start.

11-10-2016, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I haven't brought it to the attention of Darktable devs I use dcrawps and bring the tiffs into Darktable.

See: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/3...ce-thread.html

Doing it all natively in Darktable would be great though. And as rawtherapee is working on it Darktable should get in on it too!
11-10-2016, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another, Linux user here and soon to get a K-1. House, this is great news!
Hopefully PS will come to Darktable soon as that would be far more convenient.
I was just pleased to hear that the K-1 raw files generally work ok with Darktable (and it is great bit of software for sure!) but a way to use PS makes a big difference.
11-10-2016, 08:33 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Pentax pixel shift issue has been run past the dt devs already. There was not a lot of enthusiasm since it is complicated to work it into their developing pipeline. However, with both RT and dt being open source, I would be surprised if there were not some cross-pollination.

11-10-2016, 09:50 PM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
The Pentax pixel shift issue has been run past the dt devs already. There was not a lot of enthusiasm since it is complicated to work it into their developing pipeline. However, with both RT and dt being open source, I would be surprised if there were not some cross-pollination.
@jbinpg, do you mind to provide a pointer if this is already on their radar? Perhaps more people nudging them would help a little bit with the priority?
11-10-2016, 09:57 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I haven't brought it to the attention of Darktable devs I use dcrawps and bring the tiffs into Darktable.

See: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/3...ce-thread.html

Doing it all natively in Darktable would be great though. And as rawtherapee is working on it Darktable should get in on it too!
Thanks @house, I heard of dcraw but never heard of dcrawps. I will check on it.
11-10-2016, 11:31 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check here for the best way to contact the darktable devs:

contact | darktable

Never hurts to keep Pentax pixel shift on their radar.

Jack

03-16-2017, 08:06 PM - 1 Like   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by ThatSummer Quote
I know that Darktable doesn't support pixel shift yet. But I'm wondering if anybody has been working with the DT team to put it on the TODO list or not. I'm only working on Linux and PDCU doesn't work well with wine so it's a PITA to work with PS images. In fact that's why I have none PS images to date.

If nobody has started the conversation with the DT team I'll see if I can get a few PS RAWs to the team and give it a kick start.
I'm in the same boat :-) Got a K-3 & K-1. I'm not as technical as you by the sound of it though. The thing I'm concerned about is lens correction on the K-1. I have a Samyang flat 14mm f/2.8, Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 di ld if etc. (2 years old), Pentax DA 50 f/1.8 prime (plastic fantastic, but ok: same as yours?). Next I need to get the new Pentax 24-70 f/2.8 to help in architectural shoots as I'm using an older Sigma 18-50 f/4.5? lens on the K-3 at the moment. Do you have any advice or clues about getting Darktable to recognise these lenses on a K-1?

How are you finding the K-1? I'm loving mine, although there's still a few things to explore fully, I've used HD on auto, and done a couple of pixel shifts, but want to explore these further. My ViewBug gallery is viewbug.com/member/steve-barnes-photography.

All the best,
Steve B
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
03-16-2017, 08:56 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All lens correction data for darktable is sourced from the lensfun project:

Lensfun

It can take a while for new lenses to show up in lensfun.
04-10-2017, 03:18 PM   #10

The probably difficult task to support Pixel Shift files in darktable is to support multi-frame raw files in general.
For RawTherapee that was quite easy. The embedded dcraw engine already supported multi-frame raw files. I just had to make some changes to Rawtherapee engine to support them too.
Of course the difficult task was the Pixel Shift motion correction!

Darktable does not use dcraw but relies on rawspeed for decoding raw files which means without multi-frame support in rawspeed they are lost.
As soon as rawspeed is able to support multi-frame raws, darktable will be able to adapt their code to support that too, means they will also be able to use the rawtherapee pixel shift code.
They managed to use Amaze demosaic code from rt in darktable as well as raw auto-ca-correction code, so I expect they will be able to port the rt pixelshift code as well. But as I wrote, they need raw multi-frame support in first step!
04-10-2017, 03:42 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebarnes Quote
I Do you have any advice or clues about getting Darktable to recognise these lenses on a K-1?
I think the issue is with exiv2. In the past when I have had issues with dt not recognising a lens I have had to add the details to exiv2 source and build my own version of it. The slow path is to file a bug report with the exiv2 developers with details of the camera/lens and the ID (code) that the lens reports.

QuoteQuote:
How are you finding the K-1? I'm loving mine, although there's still a few things to explore fully, I've used HD on auto, and done a couple of pixel shifts, but want to explore these further. My ViewBug gallery is viewbug.com/member/steve-barnes-photography.
Love mine, wonderful for portrait using Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, and I also use it for birding with 150-450 + 1.4xTC.

Cheers,
Terry
04-12-2017, 06:52 AM   #12

Thanks Terry. I'll need to be patient for Darktable to do this then. I'll re install Raw Therapee for these files only. Did you say the code needed enhancement to deal with K1 pixel shift? How would I go about that?

B. T. W. I just purchased the new Pentax 24-70 f/2.8 for the K1. It was too soft when I got it and wouldn't callibrate, but the Pentax wholesaler in Australia came through the me. I made a 2 hour trip to see them and they spent an hour calibrating the lens on my K1 body. Sharp as now. Fast focus. Silent too. I won't deliberately drop it in a river to test the seals though 😯
04-12-2017, 09:11 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebarnes Quote
Thanks Terry. I'll need to be patient for Darktable to do this then. I'll re install Raw Therapee for these files only. Did you say the code needed enhancement to deal with K1 pixel shift? How would I go about that?
As I understand it, code for RT to handle pixelshift is currently only in the development source, not yet released. You could clone the repository and locally build the development source, if that's an option for you, else use dcrawps to export a tiff and then process in whatever you like.

Cheers,
Terry
05-05-2017, 06:26 PM   #14

Does Darktable automatically get data from LensFun, or do I need to set it up? I've looked a lot for help on this and it is scant!

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
All lens correction data for darktable is sourced from the lensfun project:

Lensfun

It can take a while for new lenses to show up in lensfun.
05-05-2017, 10:31 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Torsten Bronger, the lensfun library author, has included a script in the past couple of versions of lensfun that one can run to update the lensfun data. On my Ubuntu 17.04 box, I had to do the following from a terminal:

1) Install liblensfun-bin:

sudo apt install liblensfun-bin

2) run the installed update script:

sudo lensfun-update-data

This downloads and installs the latest lensfun updates from the parent site. If you find your lens is still not yet supported, check here:

Lensfun

Jack