Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2016, 08:54 AM   #16
Forum Member

It's me, the bad rapper

QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
please post unprocessed images if you have any. or please point me too an existing set. Been through the reviews and looks it got a bad rap for pf.

I am one of the Bad Rappers! I actually had a member contact me and tell me to change my review! But I stand by it and should revise it to mention the crappy focus and clink at both stop ranges if you manually focus it.

I took it on a local Safari and here's how it performed. Many pictures out of focus. I particularly shot a lot of pictures of the birds on the three limb. the dappled sunlight coming threw was absolutely beautiful. Even though I tried different settings, I was unable to capture it without blown highlights. This is where the purple fringing comes into play. Anything you shoot that has contrast against a light sky or white background and you will notice it.

I would buy the zoom or start looking at other brands. The auto focus only focuses intermittently, so you would probably miss your wildlife shot. I am only using Zeiss lenses now, sure its manual focus but the build and image quality are second to none.

The DA* has been a thousand dollar disappointment, and if this steams anyone under the collar, send me a grand and I would gladly send you this lens. It's like new only used a few times.

---------- Post added 11-20-16 at 09:28 AM ----------

I would buy this.
*EXC+++* Voigtlander APO LANTHAR 180mm f/4 SL for K Pentax K from Japan #0534 | eBay

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
11-20-2016, 03:40 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by JimBrennan Quote
I took it on a local Safari and here's how it performed. Many pictures out of focus. I particularly shot a lot of pictures of the birds on the three limb. the dappled sunlight coming threw was absolutely beautiful. Even though I tried different settings, I was unable to capture it without blown highlights. This is where the purple fringing comes into play. Anything you shoot that has contrast against a light sky or white background and you will notice it.
If the lens has a weakness it is indeed how it handles highlights but dialling in a -1/3 or -2/3 EV easily helps that. AF is perfect for me, not fast but not slow either, and certainly accurate.

Your photos look nothing like the other examples posted here, including my own. I can't help but think that there is something wrong with your copy.
11-20-2016, 08:01 PM   #18
Forum Member

Well, I am glad someone else see's my point. Maybe, I will contact customer service, tell them of my dissatisfaction, and see what they say.
11-24-2016, 08:59 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Had 200 and 300 SDm on K5 and K3. A zoom was missing for me between 100-200, so I got the 70-200/2.8 beast. the zomm does everything I want and made the 200 SDM obsolete.
If you are only looking at the long end of the zoom, go for the 200/2.8 by itself, much lighter and less cost. If zoom action is important plus all the nice gimmicks, the zoom is there for you.

11-30-2016, 01:20 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
This is really a subjective thing.
For me, the only reasons to go with the 200mm is weight/size and cost. However, the 200mm is MUCH smaller and MUCH less expensive.

For me, 70-200mm is a very useful focal length. And the IQ is also better with the zoom. If you can afford it and can tolerate the size, i would choose the zoom.
If you can't, get the DA 200mm, which is still a fine lens and enjoy

One thing, if you have never handled a full frame 70-200mm, i would strongly suggest renting one for a week and shooting the heck out of it. Some people just do not enjoy handling a lens that large.
I have the Tamron version of the 70-200, which is plenty sharp, and the screw drive AF is plenty fast and quiet on the K1. The price of that zoom is about the same as the DA*200.

However, you make a very good point about carrying the lens around. It seems huge compared to just about anything under 400mm. If the light is good, the little old M 200/4 sometimes starts to look like an attractive alternative to a sore shoulder.