Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2016, 06:30 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any way to keep the ice-fog from reaching the joints in the first place, like a section of stocking acting as a tubular air-filter/nylon bellows, to catch the water particles. Just a thought.

11-15-2016, 06:40 PM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
@Monochrome
Excuse me? I am not going to send this for 3rd service for rails freezing out there. How exactly is it your problem if I mess up my K-1 doing this? Asking this from Pentax will only result in denial of any issues. Whatever happens to the mechanism now happens and I accept the risk.
I think he was suggesting you contact Pentax to ask their advice regarding the ice-up.

Steve
11-15-2016, 06:44 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not sure what happened to my reply, not seeing it. I`ll try again.
I would approach the problem by trying to stop the ice-fog from reaching the slider mechanism in the first place.
A section of nylon stocking, acting as bellows, between the display and the body, could possibly do the trick.
11-15-2016, 07:01 PM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Thanks everybody for all your help. For some reason I was initially getting a truncated version of exiftool, it was missing some parameters I wanted like shutter count, AF/MF selection, etc. So I then downloaded the newest version. Unfortunately Norton took exception to it and automatically deleted it. I finally figured out how to get Norton to ignore it and it's working fine. However, I've noticed that the shutter count tool in the resources section has a better and easier interface and complete exif data. Does anyone know what that exif reader is? That would be the best option. Thanks.

NaCl(always looking for simpler solutions)H2O
This sounds a little strange. Exiftool is a command line utility and does not have a user interface, "resources section" or shutter count tool. There is also no "truncated" version. Download links for both Windows executable and OS X package are available from the developer's Web site:

ExifTool by Phil Harvey

I would suggest either standalone executable over the full PERL library version.

There is also a graphical user interface for ExifTool running on Windows written by Bogdan Hrastnik called ExifToolGUI that I have found very useful. While officially unsupported at present, Bogdan has continued to do periodic updates.

ExifTool GUI Project Page

ExitTool GUI Download (Download Link on ExifTool Forum)

Steve

11-15-2016, 07:01 PM   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Thanks everybody for all your help. For some reason I was initially getting a truncated version of exiftool, it was missing some parameters I wanted like shutter count, AF/MF selection, etc. So I then downloaded the newest version. Unfortunately Norton took exception to it and automatically deleted it. I finally figured out how to get Norton to ignore it and it's working fine. However, I've noticed that the shutter count tool in the resources section has a better and easier interface and complete exif data. Does anyone know what that exif reader is? That would be the best option. Thanks.

NaCl(always looking for simpler solutions)H2O
This sounds a little strange. Exiftool is a command line utility and does not have a user interface, "resources section" or shutter count tool. There is also no "truncated" version. Download links for both Windows executable and OS X package are available from the developer's Web site:

ExifTool by Phil Harvey

I would suggest either standalone executable over the full PERL library version.

There is also a graphical user interface for ExifTool running on Windows written by Bogdan Hrastnik called ExifToolGUI that I have found very useful. While officially unsupported at present, Bogdan has continued to do periodic updates.

ExifTool GUI Project Page

ExitTool GUI Download (Download Link on ExifTool Forum)

Steve
11-16-2016, 12:19 PM   #36

Photos: Gallery
At some of the other commenters.

Although MJKoski does come off as a somewhat Finnish (read adversarial) and I don't necessarily agree on all the points (e.g. I don't see how a tilting mechanism could remain unaffected in epic winter conditions no matter the "field testing received), the sensor calibration issue seems to be confirmed from pentax side and well duh, the mechanism indeed froze. So no need to get overly inflammatory.

Btw the concern wrt. weather sealings & lubricants seems valid. Also it could be worth the effort to test if the freezing occurs regardless of the angle of the screen and stick positioning (i.e. if it is possible to avoid with cunning screen positioning).

Tangential, but funny experience also related to Lapland winter conditions. Similarly harsh, but different (i.e. -35C) conditions once froze open the aperture of my sigma f/1.4 50mm DG and I mean literally froze so that it wouldn't budge until after thawing.
11-16-2016, 12:34 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fromunderthebridge Quote

Although MJKoski does come off as a somewhat Finnish (read adversarial)
???????!!!!!!!

11-16-2016, 12:57 PM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by PePe Quote
???????!!!!!!!
Come now, don't we all like a bit of Finnish self depreciation every now and then?

Jk etc.

Also, in all seriousness, Finns sometimes do have a bit of different way to discuss, being somewhat direct and even blunt in voicing our opinions. This may cause some friction with non-Finns.
11-16-2016, 04:32 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Hand warmer might work but it may warm the sensor as well.
I highly doubt that in those cold conditions a simple handwarmer will manage to warm the sensor from outside the camera. it *might* just manage to keep the rails from freezing for half an hour or so though.
11-16-2016, 05:16 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The de-icer I will try out has lubricating elements. A7r2 ...
What is the geological feature prominent in this picture ?

---------- Post added 11-16-16 at 06:31 PM ----------

...hmm. I used isopropanol to wipe a windshield (it was smeared) and I thought the alcohol wouldn't freeze. In the little bottle, it remained liquid, of course, but spread out on the cold windshield, it became slush. It didn't freeze hard but made a thin film of soft ice mess.

For all the cold weather people, what bout LCD performance ?

The temps was 5 F so maybe -15? and felt humid. I walked down into a hollow/depression. The temps were noticeably cooler there but I have no clue what the temp was.. the LCD didn't want to work. It finally decided to display images but reacted very slowly.

Have heard worries about batteries here but what about LCD ?

Last edited by Tan68; 11-16-2016 at 05:33 PM.
11-16-2016, 05:58 PM - 2 Likes   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fromunderthebridge Quote
Also, in all seriousness, Finns sometimes do have a bit of different way to discuss, being somewhat direct and even blunt in voicing our opinions. This may cause some friction with non-Finns.
We type with an accent, that`s all it is. You want to hear blunt, talk to someone from Massachusetts...
12-03-2016, 03:29 AM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Field report: Silicon grease is working like a charm. Tilt screen mechanism works in the cold as good as in room temperature.
12-03-2016, 07:17 AM   #43
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote
What is the geological feature prominent in this picture ?

---------- Post added 11-16-16 at 06:31 PM ----------

...hmm. I used isopropanol to wipe a windshield (it was smeared) and I thought the alcohol wouldn't freeze. In the little bottle, it remained liquid, of course, but spread out on the cold windshield, it became slush. It didn't freeze hard but made a thin film of soft ice mess.

For all the cold weather people, what bout LCD performance ?

The temps was 5 F so maybe -15? and felt humid. I walked down into a hollow/depression. The temps were noticeably cooler there but I have no clue what the temp was.. the LCD didn't want to work. It finally decided to display images but reacted very slowly.

Have heard worries about batteries here but what about LCD ?
At lower temps LCD will become very sluggish and may be unreliable.
12-03-2016, 07:23 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It will. A7r1's LCD froze completely @ -32C after being exposed to cold for ~30 minutes. Half of the display area went black and other half presented vertical bars over the frozen image. EVF kept working but it is not LCD panel. It remains to be seen how well K-1 solution handles such temps.
12-03-2016, 08:56 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter

Yesterday I was shooting star trails in a valley with a river flowing nearby. It is usually not this cold in november but temps dropped to -21C locally with high humitidy present.

After an hour or so I was ready to relocate myself and noticed that one of the four poles had frozen in extended position in its rail as I always tend to keep the lcd away from the body during long exposures. Anyway, it did not feel right to move it with force.

Is there any safe antifreeze substance I can stuff in the rails to prevent this? I expect -35C temps and long shooting sessions during the winter period.
What's probably happening is moisture from your breath is condensing and freezing in there. I would CAREFULLY apply a very small amount of silicon based lubricant in the pivot points of the screen to keep frost from building up. In Canada we have a product called Jig A Loo, which would be my choice.
Don't go spraying the stuff around, Shoot some into the cap that comes with the spray can and use a cotton swab or similar as an applicator.

Your other options, and these might be better ones, is to not extend the screen, or to move the screen frequently to keep frost from building up.