Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-13-2016, 05:45 AM - 1 Like   #1

Updated firmware Pentax K1

I've mentioned it before on this forum but I'd like to again - The ability to SAVE A LIST of file name prefixes would be great when using M42 and other glass where the K1 doesn't pick up the lens properties. That way when you're quickly swapping out your epic new pentax lenses with your lovely old Pentax, Takumar Leica.. etc. lenses you can just select the preset name from your list which match the lenses you've got, shoot and then you can see which lenses you used for the shot when in post processing. Look if anyone else has a workable solution (not the folder solution which doesn't embed any info in the file name automatically into Lightroom) please let me know.

Thanks guys !

11-13-2016, 06:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pizzamaker74 Quote
I've mentioned it before on this forum but I'd like to again - The ability to SAVE A LIST of file name prefixes would be great when using M42 and other glass where the K1 doesn't pick up the lens properties. That way when you're quickly swapping out your epic new pentax lenses with your lovely old Pentax, Takumar Leica.. etc. lenses you can just select the preset name from your list which match the lenses you've got, shoot and then you can see which lenses you used for the shot when in post processing. Look if anyone else has a workable solution (not the folder solution which doesn't embed any info in the file name automatically into Lightroom) please let me know.

Thanks guys !
I usually use Lightroom and a combination of focal lengths and lens descriptions to tag my photos with the lens used. For times when I'm using multiple non-recognized lenses of the same focal length and aperture available (ie, you can tell the difference between an "A" lens and an "M" or M42 easily), I use the "copyright" feature and put in some minimal information in order to waste the least mount of time, like "tak" or "zeiss" or whatever. That way, it's embedded in the photo and non-disruptive to any other processed. It still takes an extra minute or two but it's not too bad. The easiest solution is stick to one lens per focal length for each photo shoot.

If you do use the copyright field already, you can always re-apply your chosen copyright in Lightroom after tagging which lens was actually used and before exporting.
11-13-2016, 08:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I wonder why the custom lens name you propose could not be embedded in the EXIF. I think the manually selected focal length used to set SR ends up in Exif.. or does it ?
11-13-2016, 08:35 AM   #4
Unregistered User

I use this software to edit exif when scanning film. Works on PEF aswell.

ExifTool by Phil Harvey

Together with this GUI to make it easier to use.

http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/~bogdan/exiftoolgui516.zip

So you download the first one. Rename the file from exiftool(-k) to just exiftool. (If you see the .exe extension the filename should be exiftool.exe)

The second download you unpack and now you have a folder called exiftoolgui. Copy your exiftool.exe file into this folder.

Start the app with a double click on ExifToolGUI.exe

Choose the file you want to edit, click the row you want to edit och press return on the keyboard to edit. Write whatever pleases you, press return, edit another row OR press Save.

You are finished.

11-13-2016, 10:10 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
I use this software to edit exif when scanning film. Works on PEF aswell. ExifTool by Phil Harvey Together with this GUI to make it easier to use. http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/~bogdan/exiftoolgui516.zip
Same here. This works though of course not as simple as an in-camera list might be. But considering the tiny number of Pentax users that would actually be interested in that I suspect finding a non-Pentax work around is the only solution we will ever get.

I just keep a text file with the lens EXIF data I want to embed and just copy/paste using ExifTool GUI.
11-17-2016, 10:39 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Groucho Quote
I usually use Lightroom and a combination of focal lengths and lens descriptions to tag my photos with the lens used. For times when I'm using multiple non-recognized lenses of the same focal length and aperture available (ie, you can tell the difference between an "A" lens and an "M" or M42 easily), I use the "copyright" feature and put in some minimal information in order to waste the least mount of time, like "tak" or "zeiss" or whatever. That way, it's embedded in the photo and non-disruptive to any other processed. It still takes an extra minute or two but it's not too bad. The easiest solution is stick to one lens per focal length for each photo shoot.

If you do use the copyright field already, you can always re-apply your chosen copyright in Lightroom after tagging which lens was actually used and before exporting.
I like that idea alot Groucho. Thanks. I'll give it a try. At least it passes into the file itself which is what I want. Great solution.
11-18-2016, 12:12 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A file name batch editor is another way to go, if you're just wanting to easily modify file names... RenameMaster has long been my Windows freeware preference for this function.. Great app...

Rename Master is a freeware utility designed to rename multiple files with a just few clicks. Anyone that has worked with websites, file archives, or collections of music, videos, or pictures has probably spent way too much time renaming hundreds of files.

This utility will add, remove, or replace parts of the filename with ease and also supports renaming via file properties, MP3 tags, JPEG JFIF and EXIF tags, Video tags, and text files. Batch renaming that's simple to use, yet still very powerful.

Features
- Intelligent number sorting
- Full Unicode filename support
- File and folder renaming
- Custom filelist columns
- Auto-Preview
- Subfolder Scanning to rename files in multiple folder
- Renaming Variables for JPEG/MP3/Video tags, file properties, counters, and more
- Scripts to save commonly used renaming options
-[*] and [?] command prompt style wildcards, or full Regular Expression support
- Optional Explorer integration for right-clicking on files/folders or using "Send To"
- Case Changing and Textfile importing
- Command line options for batch renaming

Requirements
This program requires no installation, but an optional setup program is included. Supported on Windows XP through Windows 10.

12-23-2016, 04:05 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote
I wonder why the custom lens name you propose could not be embedded in the EXIF. I think the manually selected focal length used to set SR ends up in Exif.. or does it ?
Exactly. Thats where I want it. Then you can filter by it in Lightroom/other library software.