Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2016, 03:22 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New Zealand's Milford Track with the K-1

I just carried my K-1 over the Milford Track in New Zealand. Some fabulous scenery was to be had. The camera was wet most of the time and didn't miss a beat with the magnificent weather sealing (just had to keep the front face of the lens dry). Lenses I carried were a Pentax D-FA 28-105, and this performed the vast majority of the work as my walk-around and only weather sealed lens; a Sigma 35 f1.4 Art series lens, and a Sigma 18-250 cropped sensor lens that came in handy for the birds.

Milford Track, New Zealand, 1-5 November 2016 - Adrian Morrison

11-14-2016, 03:36 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I didn't see the mule you used to carry your 35mm Art, Adrian!

Seriously good photos, BTW!
11-14-2016, 04:02 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AdrianM Quote
I just carried my K-1 over the Milford Track in New Zealand. Some fabulous scenery was to be had. The camera was wet most of the time and didn't miss a beat with the magnificent weather sealing (just had to keep the front face of the lens dry). Lenses I carried were a Pentax D-FA 28-105, and this performed the vast majority of the work as my walk-around and only weather sealed lens; a Sigma 35 f1.4 Art series lens, and a Sigma 18-250 cropped sensor lens that came in handy for the birds.

Milford Track, New Zealand, 1-5 November 2016 - Adrian Morrison
Nice shots!
11-14-2016, 04:08 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I didn't see the mule you used to carry your 35mm Art, Adrian!

Seriously good photos, BTW!
Hush, please. My wife doesn'f know that she carried it.

Just joking - the Sigma 35 1.4 Art is a seriously heavy piece of glass, and it perhaps didn't get as much use as I might have liked because of the weather.

11-14-2016, 04:10 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AdrianM Quote
Hush, please. My wife doesn'f know that she carried it.

Just joking - the Sigma 35 1.4 Art is a seriously heavy piece of glass, and it perhaps didn't get as much use as I might have liked because of the weather.
Sensational piece of glass, too, Adrian. But I had to get the FA31 as well because I couldn't lug it around like you do!
11-14-2016, 04:16 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Sensational piece of glass, too, Adrian. But I had to get the FA31 as well because I couldn't lug it around like you do!
I am looking to purchase the D-FA 15-30 next. And that isn't lighter. Maybe, as I get older, I'll be looking to regret my purchase. Or maybe I'll just get better at hiding it in someone else's bag.
11-14-2016, 04:26 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Snow in November - yikes - enjoyed the photos Adrian thank you for sharing.
11-14-2016, 04:31 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Things I really liked about the K-1, and particularly with the D-FA 28-105 were:
- the weather sealing
- sharpness
- depth of colour and dynamic range - I shot everything in DNG and AdobeRGB, usually to correctly expose the sky and then lifted the shadows in Lightroom
- the ability to hand-hold at ridiculously slow shutter speeds (down to about 1/8th of a second) and that meant not having to set up for waterfalls with a tripod and ND filter
- 5 User presets gave me a huge amount of flexibility in quickly changing settings
- the 28-105 has a really useful focal length range that can cover wide angle to semi-macro, so didn't have to change lenses in bad conditions.

By the way, I also carried a small carbon fibre tripod, but only used it once, and I also carried an AF200Fg flash which was really useful for the Robins.

11-14-2016, 05:48 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Image AM14842 looks like a Sundew plant, is that right? We have these carnivorous plants here in North Carolina, but they are very rare, and have a very limited range. I was lucky enough to get a shot of one at a local state park.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/98359-apet-sure/albums/10421-nature/picture97552.jpg

Great album Adrian! Lots of wonderful shots.
11-14-2016, 01:13 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
Image AM14842 looks like a Sundew plant, is that right? We have these carnivorous plants here in North Carolina, but they are very rare, and have a very limited range. I was lucky enough to get a shot of one at a local state park.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/98359-apet-sure/albums/10421-nature/picture97552.jpg

Great album Adrian! Lots of wonderful shots.
Thanks, Apet. It is indeed a sun-dew and it is, as our guides describe it, the only carnivorous plant in NZ.
11-14-2016, 01:24 PM   #11
RJH

Great shots. I feel embarrassed, I live nearby (to the track) and obviously need to take my K1 and Sigma 35 1.4 for a visit! Good equipment choice ;-)

11-14-2016, 02:26 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful images!
Congrats!
11-14-2016, 04:50 PM   #13
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for sharing your experience Adrian. Many poster shots there.

I saw your post about the DFA 150-450 breaking on the Stewart Island trip. Were you able to get it fixed? (Saved yourself 2kg on the Milford Track anyway.)
11-14-2016, 07:35 PM - 7 Likes   #14
Tio

Adrian, Great photos! My wife and I did the same trek back in April of this year. I carried a 645Z with the DA645 28-45mm, D FA 90mm, and tripod. Unfortunately the weather didn't agree and it basically poured rained for all of the trip except for Mackinnon when the rain turned to snow with 100mph winds. The groups infront and behind ours had to be helicoptered out! The weather gods did give me a few hours with the camera when we hit the Milford Sound Lodge on the last day. Thanks for the photos.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
11-15-2016, 01:35 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tio Quote
Adrian, Great photos! My wife and I did the same trek back in April of this year. I carried a 645Z with the DA645 28-45mm, D FA 90mm, and tripod. Unfortunately the weather didn't agree and it basically poured rained for all of the trip except for Mackinnon when the rain turned to snow with 100mph winds. The groups infront and behind ours had to be helicoptered out! The weather gods did give me a few hours with the camera when we hit the Milford Sound Lodge on the last day. Thanks for the photos.
That sunlight in the photo of yours just didn't show up for me. Great shot, and nothing better than carrying a great camera over that track.

---------- Post added 15-11-16 at 18:37 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Thanks for sharing your experience Adrian. Many poster shots there.

I saw your post about the DFA 150-450 breaking on the Stewart Island trip. Were you able to get it fixed? (Saved yourself 2kg on the Milford Track anyway.)
It was returned to CRK as soon as I got back to Oz. It should be repaired under warranty (bought in May15 with a 2 year warranty), but I might be waiting a little while.