Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2016, 05:02 AM - 3 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
The M20/4 seems to have really nice 3D feel.
I think it does more so if I don't correct for the distortion, which flattens out the field imo.

---------- Post added 11-26-2016 at 08:04 PM ----------

K1+M20/4

Last edited by pinholecam; 11-26-2016 at 05:09 AM.
11-26-2016, 01:36 PM   #17
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good to hear your thoughts on this. Been thinking about primes for travel and wondering which ones would be the best options.
11-26-2016, 04:30 PM   #18
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I think it does more so if I don't correct for the distortion, which flattens out the field imo.

---------- Post added 11-26-2016 at 08:04 PM ----------

K1+M20/4
Indeed.
11-27-2016, 02:52 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
Good to hear your thoughts on this. Been thinking about primes for travel and wondering which ones would be the best options.
There are many combos that work well.
I like the following :
Samyang 14, K24 (or K28), 50mm
Samyang 14; 31ltd, 77ltd
M20; 31/35mm, 77/85mm

Nowadays, with the K1, I'd choose an AF lens over manual ones for FL above 28mm as its better for streets/candids.

Indeed.
Personally, I feel that each lens has its place and lenses like the M20/4 are special in that it was designed warts and all with an objective of being small too.
The raise of the paper spec lens nowadays, just means that most makers don't dare to do lenses such as the M20/4 anymore.

11-28-2016, 04:34 PM - 3 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster

K1+M20/4

K1+FA77ltd

ISO100-200 works really well with no appreciable drop in quality.
I had misplaced my 3 and 6 stop ND at one of the locations on the first day and was left with the 10 stop.
But with the good quality of the ISO200 files, I simply switched to ISO200 if I wanted to keep the shutter speed with the 30s of the self-timer exposure time.

Of course, now, with the long exposure extended with the version v1.4 firmware, its got even better.
12-02-2016, 12:27 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster

K1+FA77ltd

Framing wise, this would have been shot with a 85-100mm lens, but with the 36mp, I can simply crop the 77mm shot to what I need with lots to spare.
I would have cropped off some of the sky/foreground for composition purposes even with a 85-100mm lens shot too, so in fact, there would not have been a perfect solution anyway (when the situation is viewed in a practical sense).
12-03-2016, 01:56 AM - 3 Likes   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster

K1+M20/4

Its lenses like the M20/4 that make Pentax so special (and yet we hear "not enough lenses" used as a stick to beat at Pentax all so often).
A lens so small and portable which is a joy to use.
Its so easy to bring along for a cycling trip like this and be the widest lens one carries, w/o over encumbering myself.

If I was to bring some 2-3 macho lens along like the fast aperture ones by Sigma, I think I'd have given up bringing a camera along for the trip
Space, carry capacity and effort lugging such stuff around on a bike over hundreds of kilometers, to me is as real world as it gets.

12-03-2016, 06:52 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

pinholecam,

This is just lovely. Your photos have always been an inspiration. You consistently show the best from our classic lenses.
12-05-2016, 06:49 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
pinholecam,

This is just lovely. Your photos have always been an inspiration. You consistently show the best from our classic lenses.
Thanks Mike.

The old Pentax lenses are really good.
I think in this day of lens reviews and forums, there is just too much focus on the numbers and not about the 'doing it'.
New lenses don't instantly make old ones turn to 'junk'.

Old lenses and 'doing it' over New lenses and 'arguing it' on forums for me.
12-05-2016, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

I am a bike tourer too and my first tour was in Australia (Sydney going north). That is almost 20 years ago. I actually bought my first Pentax and first SLR then. Now we are many cameras and many tours later ...

I think You have done well. I know the challenges of being a tourer and tog at the same time - can't really hang around for that perfect light.

I have had my 77mm on tour as well, but from now on it will stay at home! Two times it has fallen apart now.
12-05-2016, 02:41 PM   #26
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote
I am a bike tourer too and my first tour was in Australia (Sydney going north). That is almost 20 years ago. I actually bought my first Pentax and first SLR then. Now we are many cameras and many tours later ...

I think You have done well. I know the challenges of being a tourer and tog at the same time - can't really hang around for that perfect light.

I have had my 77mm on tour as well, but from now on it will stay at home! Two times it has fallen apart now.
Fallen apart? How? Why?
12-05-2016, 03:02 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Fallen apart? How? Why?
Screws go loose. I don't know why or how, but of the lenses I have had on tour it is the only one that have done that. The good thing is the construction is rather simple, which makes it relatively easy to fix. But mine won't go on tour again
12-05-2016, 07:03 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote

K1+M20/4

Its lenses like the M20/4 that make Pentax so special (and yet we hear "not enough lenses" used as a stick to beat at Pentax all so often).
A lens so small and portable which is a joy to use.
Its so easy to bring along for a cycling trip like this and be the widest lens one carries, w/o over encumbering myself.

If I was to bring some 2-3 macho lens along like the fast aperture ones by Sigma, I think I'd have given up bringing a camera along for the trip
Space, carry capacity and effort lugging such stuff around on a bike over hundreds of kilometers, to me is as real world as it gets.
Wow.. this is good stuff........ you make full use of the gears u have
12-05-2016, 11:48 PM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote

Looking out for camping gear options now, as I think I'd like to settle down on a scenic area and catch the sunrise/set, rather than be forced to rush for the pre-booked accommodation.
Problem is that my camping skills are all for the tropics (and obsolete) and the cold weather stuff really leaves me confused.

I totally understand the part about loose screws.
The vibrations on a bike, would probably be the cause.
I try to keep my stuff as 'suspended' as I can in the carrier.

In fact, I had a screw in my K135/2.5 just fell off with normal carrying some time ago.

QuoteOriginally posted by ranchy Quote
Wow.. this is good stuff........ you make full use of the gears u have
Thanks.
I think you are also making lots of use of your stuff with lots of nice photos taken.
12-06-2016, 12:36 AM   #30
Pentaxian

It is cold there? It is summer (or late spring) down there, isn't? The weather sure seems nice in the photos - speaking from the north of Europe.

You must know about the Munda Biddi Trail?