Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-16-2016, 09:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

How do I turn on the GPS?

I see no GPS in the EXIF data.

I also can't find any GPS on/off setting in the menus.

And I am very familiar with GPS in general and I have been shooting outdoors and giving it plenty of time to get a fix.

Apologies in advance for a dumb question!

11-16-2016, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

There's a button for that (and a LED which stays On of the GPS is active).
Check near the diopter adjustment wheel, it's marked. It's position is also indicated in pages 8 and 9 of the user manual (item #18):
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-1.pdf
11-16-2016, 12:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Great - thanks. Yeah, a really silly Q

However - the GPS doesn't appear able to get a fix for long in reality because it turns off when the camera auto shuts down, which I have set to happen after about 1 minute.

Is that as intended?

If one has travelled some distance, and needs to reload the almanac, one needs to sit there, half-pressing the shutter button to prevent the timeout.
11-16-2016, 12:55 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote
However - the GPS doesn't appear able to get a fix for long in reality because it turns off when the camera auto shuts down, which I have set to happen after about 1 minute. Is that as intended?
Yes, but I do not seem to have a problem with shut down. After the initial lock, even shutting the camera off still results in a very quick re-lock. Now if you shut it off and drive 400 miles then that is different, takes a bit. But I never have to keep pressing the button to keep the GPS active.

11-18-2016, 01:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I can confirm the GPS really does work very well. The fix appears to be instant, and the altitude doesn't exhibit the usual GPS bug of being 160ft out (in Europe).

I will do some tests in a light aircraft, to see how it picks up a fix when moving at speed.
11-18-2016, 05:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Standby mode drops GPS lock. Set it to 30 minutes? It does not eat much battery anyway when idling.
11-19-2016, 02:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I did tests in flight today and all pics got the GPS data OK. The camera was not used until airborne at about 170mph, so that's quite a good GPS. They could have easily done what so many consumer products have done and designed a GPS which fails to get a fix if already moving.

05-09-2017, 05:08 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi,

reviving the thread, jsut got my K1, trying to get the GPS info into the EXIF, GPS is on, indicator is green however the electronic compass is blank and no data in extended info view... Updated to FW1.41 and still under 50 shots under the camera.. what can I've missed?

cheers // John
05-09-2017, 07:25 AM   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by nomolas Quote
Hi,

reviving the thread, jsut got my K1, trying to get the GPS info into the EXIF, GPS is on, indicator is green however the electronic compass is blank and no data in extended info view... Updated to FW1.41 and still under 50 shots under the camera.. what can I've missed?

cheers // John
Calibration?
05-11-2017, 10:49 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Did you give it time to get a lock the first time you used it? If you moved a good distance from where it was used previously or it has never been used before, it may take a bit to lock on to your current location. Also probably a dumb question, are you using it where it can see the satellites? If it's used indoors, it may not be able to get a signal (same applies if you are in some vehicles). The compass display will remain blank (GPS data) until the GPS gets a fix but with my K-1 that only took a few seconds (I did have it on previously however) and didn't require a calibration. The calibration does appear to increase the accuracy of the information though. If you remove the battery (for recharging), recalibration is recommended before using the GPS after the battery is replaced.

Last edited by Bob 256; 05-11-2017 at 08:15 PM.
05-14-2017, 11:44 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Should have given an update, the GPS started to work. But this took forever, in my world. After callibration it took over 5 minutes to get lock, outside. Now it's almost instant even inside.

Thansk for the reminder of re-callibration after battery change, I didn't this time I changed battery, but I looked at the GPS data now and it's fairly accurate. But, I'll callibrate.
05-15-2017, 03:26 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

The calibration is for the electronic compass, the actual GPS will not be affected.
05-15-2017, 07:01 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nomolas Quote
Should have given an update, the GPS started to work. But this took forever, in my world. After callibration it took over 5 minutes to get lock, outside. Now it's almost instant even inside.

Thansk for the reminder of re-callibration after battery change, I didn't this time I changed battery, but I looked at the GPS data now and it's fairly accurate. But, I'll callibrate.
Glad that worked out for you. The long interval for the initial lock can be attributed to the GPS system and not a fault of the K-1. It's that way with most GPS receivers when they lack information on where they are when they "wake up". Removing the battery won't cause the delay - just the need to recalibrate the compass for greatest compass accuracy (particularly if the astrotracer is going to be used). Leaving the GPS off and moving a large distance will usually require the longer initialization period for the GPS. If the move is a short one it will lock almost immediately when turned on. GPS receivers have gotten better and better over time - I remember the first ones being about the size of a portable CD player and costing around $900US (and no camera!!) - times change.