Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2016, 11:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-1 Debug Mode

I found some instructions for turning on the K-1 debug mode, but I haven't had any luck getting them to actually work. Has anyone else successfully tried this?

Instructions:

1) Create two files at the root of SD1:

00077980.570 - [OPEN_DEBUG_MENU]
DEVELOP.MOD

2) Turn the camera on

I've tried some variations, holding the menu button, leaving the SD card door open, etc. No luck yet.

11-17-2016, 11:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
[OPEN_DEBUG_MENU] is the text that is supposed to be inside the file namned 00077980.570 if I remember correctly...
11-17-2016, 11:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
[OPEN_DEBUG_MENU] is the text that is supposed to be inside the file namned 00077980.570 if I remember correctly...
Yep. I was just using shorthand. Sorry for any confusion there.
11-17-2016, 11:44 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just a reminder that using debug model will impact the warrantee. At least that is what I read. All k1s are still under warrantee at this time and we might want to be careful.

11-17-2016, 11:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
Just a reminder that using debug model will impact the warrantee. At least that is what I read. All k1s are still under warrantee at this time and we might want to be careful.
I'll be careful. Besides, I have an extended warranty that covers accidental handling, so as long as the K-1 does not literally catch fire, I'm covered.
11-17-2016, 12:01 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Using the debug menu may impact the warranty if changes (particularly firmware hacks) are discovered during the course of warranty service or if one bricks the camera while fooling around. That being said, innocuous changes such as enabling localization settings for regions outside that where the camera was purchased should generally be acceptable.

Steve
11-17-2016, 12:03 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
I'll be careful. Besides, I have an extended warranty that covers accidental handling, so as long as the K-1 does not literally catch fire, I'm covered.
Doing firmware manipulation is intentional, not accidental; meaning that you may have to lie when filing the warranty claim. Oops! The important thing when fiddling with debug is to keep careful record of your progress and not attempt low level service procedures.

Steve
11-17-2016, 12:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Doing firmware manipulation is intentional, not accidental; meaning that you will have to lie when filing the warranty claim. Oops!

Steve
Hmm. That's true. Anyway, I'll be careful. I'd just like to poke around.

11-17-2016, 12:05 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My K1 has focusing problem, almost all lenses need AF adjustment near -7 or 8. One lens needs more than -10. I thought of using debug model to dial the focusing point by +7 in general but was worrying about the warrantee issue. Any comments on AF adjusting using debug model and warrantee?
11-17-2016, 12:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My K1 has focusing problem, almost all lenses need AF adjustment near -7 or 8. One lens needs more than -10. I thought of using debug model to dial the focusing point by +7 in general but was worrying about the warrantee issue. Any comments on AF adjusting using debug model and warrantee?
This might be what Precision would use to calibrate your camera + lens if you sent it to them, but that's just speculation.
11-17-2016, 12:15 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Precision would use to calibrate your camera
I think so. I am using the camera as is right now and let the system "break-in". After focusing shift is stabilized, I will send the camera to precision for calibration and cleaning.
11-17-2016, 12:18 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you considered warranty service to correct the AF issue? If the available range of adjustments are inadequate, I would be surprised if the debug menu would buy you more latitude. An actual physical adjustment of the AF sensor block, mirror, or mount flange position may be in order.

Steve
11-17-2016, 12:42 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Have you considered warranty service to correct the AF issue? If the available range of adjustments are inadequate, I would be surprised if the debug menu would buy you more latitude.
Yes, that is my plan. I will use the camera for a while and send it in for adjustment.

on the other hand, debug model adjustment does help in this situation, it has bigger turning range. And more importantly, you can still set adjustment for each individual lens after that and the effects are additive.

I do hope pentax can change their firmware and allows for adding AF adjusting for individual lens on top of that for all.
11-17-2016, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

it has bigger turning range
Take care. There are reasons why that range is not exposed in the general interface and also reasons why adjustments are not additive. These kind of decisions are not made on an arbitrary basis.

Steve